close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vid card help. Almost there....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by loki1701, Feb 21, 2006.

1. loki1701

loki1701 Earthling

After the tips I got in my other post, I have narrowed down my choice to either Nvidia's 6600GT or the 6800GS.

Bear with me as I try to sort through this. If I'm reading reviews correctly, The 6800GS is the newer version in the 6800 series. Better than the 6800GT(?)
    But what I don't understand is the memory ratings. On Nvidia's site they list the 6800GS as having a core clock of 425 and a memory clock of 500. On Neweggs site they have this card listed by a couple different manufacturers having core clocks of 350 to 400 and memory clocks of 1000 to 1100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Why such a difference?

The reason I'm leaning towards the 6800GS is it appears to be the best card just under the 7800 series. I'll spend the $200 to get that and be happy with it for a few years.

I will also be updating my 250w supply to this...

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S41D2

Thoughts?

And thanks for all your tips.
    Andy

Forgot to add here's my specs in case it helps.
    Dell Dimension 8300
    2.66 P4
    2.5gb ram
    ati Radeon pro 128mb agp

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Here is what I found on them based on 3dmark2005 scores:

6600GT - 3281
    6800GT - 4790
    7800GS - 5114

The difference in clocks is that so many manufacturers are overclocking themselves before selling. The higher the clocks the better framerate you will get.

From what I see...I like this one best :p It is running 400 core with 1100 memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130264

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

This is my vid card:
    [​IMG]

I got 5400 3DMark05 scores when the install was fresh, and it still does over 5300 points.

It comes with a factory OC app, but I use CoolBits inside the driver for that.

Sounds like the testers could have used a better driver version to me.

Loki, the smaller numbers on the RAM speeds omit the fact that they are double-pumped (DDR=Double Data Rate) so a 550 is an 1100 in actual performance.

PC P&C makes excellent PSU's. Some say they are even better than Antecs!

What you want to look for is the bandwidth, or throughput. If it says it'll do 35GB/s, you have a good card, whereas a card that barely pushes 20GB/s will be marginal in newer games now and will require an upgrade before long.

That's the number to look for when rating a card's "Horsepower Factor".

5. loki1701

loki1701 Earthling

Nvidia's web site say the 6800GS does 32gb/s.
    Still, it should be a big step up from a 128mb card with slower clock speeds?

So you agree with the choice on the power supply?

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

They sure do make good PSU's. I saw that this one is Dell-specific, meaning it'll kill a real MOBO. That's a bummer, because you can't take it with when you upgrade.

Here's what I do for my customers when they need a major Dell replacement part:

A lady had her MOBO die on a cheap P4 system; Dell wanted over $150 for the new board, not counting shipping! I was consulted and told her that a compatible MOBO should cost roughly $50.

After reassuring her (several times ;Q ) that her 'Dell Processor, RAM and vid card' would work even better in a NON-Dell case and MOBO, she committed to de-Dell-ing the thing.

We got her a new HDD and an upgrade copy of XP Home SP2, a Chaintech mobo and an ATX case with 400w PSU included. All other parts were scavenged from her Dell, except for the CPU cooler and fan to replace the weird OEM cooling solution.

Not only does the thing run 15º to 25º F cooler than it used to but her machine now has some upgradeability--as well as front USB ports, an archive HDD with all of her old data and a real OS, properly secured from malware, to boot.

If you really want to make a gaming machine, guy, it'd be better by far to go the same route.

And yes, the 6800GS is not too bad of a card. The GT's are better, however, and are usually about the same price. Problem is, the AGP version of the GS runs a bit slower than the PCI-E version--and you need an AGP card for your Dell.

I stand by my recommendation of the 6800GT for that reason, unless you also plan to upgrade your MOBO.

7. loki1701

loki1701 Earthling

Seeing how I've had this one less than 2 years, I'd like to give it a little boost til it's time for a new one.
    I'd like to build one next time so I'm not so limited as to what I can do with it.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll look you up when it's time to build the new one. ^c

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

something in the realm of a 200$ nvidia card is your best bet. you might look for a deal, some rabid gamer upgrading systems, cause you generally get a flat replacement warranty if there's a major issue with an upscale card. (check that, it's 'usually')

and not-dell is a real good idea for anything but entry level system.

they have an incremental hook, that to get a GOOD dell you wind up paying through every orifice..

and to get a CHEAP dell is an exercise in anguished masochism.

i built systems for around 800$ each last year, that are still too good to upgrade now. it's frustrating that i havn't any excuse to buy hardware.

build it, or at the very least, spec it, yourself. oversize power supply, extra hard drive or two, lots of ram, lots of cooling, don't worry TOO much about absolute processor speed, just lots of fast ram and whatever you can afford on the proc..

and then tweak the OS and set up the drive config with performance (real world) in mind .. RELIABLE speed, not 'ultimate tweaks' ..

and then leave the hood down, and drive it.

[OS: Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 4 (5.0 - 2195)] [Mem Usage: 502/1024MB (49.02%)] [CPU: 1-AMD , 2182MHz] [Res: 1024x768 32bit 85Hz] [Uptime: 6w 3d 2h 16m 15s]