Victorinox SwissTool X versus Leatherman Wave

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Dec 7, 2019.

1. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi

Thinking of purchasing the Victorinox over the Leatherman as a gift to my Grandson, because he dropped a few hints.

He really likes Victorinox knives.

Any reason to purchase one over the other?

powernoodle likes this.
  2. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I tried to view images of it and got about 40 different items. Probably be the same with a Leatherman.

Swiss Army Knives were legendary back in the day, and I believe pretty much nothing is poorly made by the Swiss. Leathermans are nice also. Hell, some of the Chinese junk works too.

I'm cheap. Between those two brands I'd decide which ones met my needs and buy the lowest cost unit.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I guess the only difference is one is made in Switzerland and the other here in the United States, so if you go for the Leatherman, you will be doing your part for the balance of trade. :)

TBO likes this.
  4. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

What kind of work does he do?

I’m more into guns, than anything. I have the Leatherman, and I tend to use it several times a week. I have the bit set that allows me to work on my sights, quick fixes on
    Many electronics, and jobs around the house. This is what I carry around all the time, these days.
    [​IMG]
    I have a Victorinox XAVT which I used a lot, too, for several years. Everything from seeing time, barometric pressure, magnifier, saw, fixing eye glasses, adjusting sights, tightening small bolts, replacing a light fixture, measuring, etc. but I was always afraid I’d lose it. I put it into a small camera case and always wore it on my belt.

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

X is 12.2 ounces.

Wave+ is 8.5.

If that matters.

I've had a Wave for years and love it.

6. J. Gambolputty

J. Gambolputty

Tim Leatherman is not exactly an enthusiastic supporter of the Second Amendment. Victorinox probably isn't either, but they aren't American owned. And the Vic is way cooler.

deputy tom likes this.
  7. powernoodle

powernoodle

The SwissTool is vastly superior in fit and finish to the Wave. Its like a bank vault door vs. a screen door. The Wave is a fine MT, weighs a couple of ounces less than the SwissTool, and would serve well. Its Leatherman's flagship model and has a 25 year warranty. But the SwissTool packs more utility in the same space, and does so with smooth precision. The SwissTool, for example, has a real 3D phillips driver with a long shank. In contrast, the Wave has a stubby 2-dimensional phillips that just won't perform as well as that of the SwissTool. Victorinox scissors are vastly superior to Leatherman scissors. The advantage goes to the Wave+ with its replaceable wire cutters. But otherwise, its Victorinox for the win.

Note: the "Wave" does not have replaceable cutters; the "Wave+" does. Not sure, but Leatherman may not make the "Wave" anymore.

So yeah, SwissTool all the way. And, he likes Victorinox. This is a slam dunk.

[​IMG]
    Swisstools. Why so many? I had an overbearing mother and emotionally absent father, but we won't get into that here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wave+. I own about 8 of them too.

[​IMG]
    Stubby Leatherman phillips.

[​IMG]
    SwissTool scissors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    syntaxerrorsix and deputy tom like this.
  8. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I've owned both but prefer the Victorinox. tom. :cowboy:

syntaxerrorsix and powernoodle like this.
  9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I carry a Swiss Tool X everyday and it is superior to both my Leatherman 300 and my Wingman.

[​IMG]

powernoodle and deputy tom like this.
  10. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I've had a wave for years. When I picked it out, the main selling point was one handed opening of the blades.

11. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I'm a big fan of the Wave/Charge series. It's not perfect, but I've never found anything half as good in terms of balancing size/weight/convenience/features.

It's more likely to be on my belt and to do the job in front of me than anything else I own, which makes it a big win for my needs.

Just a random point of note, I have the black Wave, and I've spent more time looking for that damn thing than every other tool I own combined. I got the black because I thought it was cool-looking, but I'm not a ninja, and it's not bad-ass to be hunting around for the tool you just put down and has utterly disappeared into a bit of shadow.

By contrast, my titanium/stainless Charge (a Wave with Titanium outer scales) is always visible under all reasonable conditions. It rides with me about 10x as often as the black one. I'll never buy a 'blackout' tool again, lesson learned.

I'll grab my larger Leatherman Surge if I know I'm going to be doing bigger tasks, or throw the minimalist Skeletool in a bag 'just in case', but the Wave/Charge is the one I pick to wear and carry all day when I'm just going to be doing 'stuff'.

I'm generally the kind of guy who's inclined to go grab the full-sized tool and do the job right, but I'm constantly amazed at how often the Wave/Charge (especially with the bit set in the sheath) is more than good enough to let me just do the job right where I'm standing, and then move on.

Highly recommended.