Vickers Tactical Extended Glock Magazine Release

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tommy Vercetti, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti Guest

2. Habu

Habu

Cool, looks like it has a nice angle to it.

Mr. Vickers is a living legend, a great warrior and great american!

3. Robert McLeod

Robert McLeod

I have handled the one that Larry has on his Glock 19 and it is very nice. We have one on the way to test throughly, but the first impression is very good!

4. JMBare

JMBare Guest

I personally do not like extended mag releases, especially for defense/carry applications. You dramatically are increasing the likelyhood of accidentally releasing the mag while carrying and if you learn a propper tactical reload, where you are using two hands, and pulling the gun to your thumb with the index finger of your support hand, rather than attempting to reach forward with your thumb, then you definately will not need the extended release.

True story... I may have saved an Atlantic City cop's life one day. While sitting at the "White House", having a sub, late one night, I watched a motorcycle cop walk by and noticed he didn't have a magazine inserted into his duty weapon. I caught his attention, and pointed out the missing mag.. He acted very surprised that it was missing, then immidiantly looked nervous.. I suspect the nervous reaction was a result of possibly dropping an loaded LEO mag, into the city streets, loaded with Hallowpoint bullets, during the assualt weapons ban... LOL

-JMB

5. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Three words.

Save your money.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

6. Aristotle13

Aristotle13 Senior Member

Mag release is really a "preference" sort of deal. I carry concealed with it and do not have any problems or issues with it, and I wear it IWB in various locations. I guess I can attribute that to being a little "pudgy" around the waist, and my mid section is not nearly "rock solid" enough to depress the mag release that I usually have to put some good effort to do with my thumb.

My grip also does not come into contact with it when I'm shooting with the grip I use. So it really boils down as well to how your hands contact the frame, and everyone is different whether it be grip or handsize.

I'm also curious to know how you knew he had an extended mag release on his gun? From the standard police carry, it's hard to see from it's position.

Is it also possible he did not properly seat the magazine in the first place? Hard to assume it was due entirely in part to an extended magazine.

I use my gun primarily for IDPA and IPSC. So I'm restricted to OEM mag release, but that does look nice with the rounded edges and angle.

Thanks for the heads up.

7. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

It's possible he never even loaded it before going on duty as well.

8. yunone

yunone

thats a product i am looking for...let us know how the install goes and the improved feel of the release

9. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti Guest

Just got one about an hour ago. Installed in about 1 minute. As a lefty I've been waiting on something like this for a long time having already tried just about every other GLOCK mag release on the market. I'm not the slightest bit disappointed with the fit or finish. Looks just like an OEM part. I can now hit the release without altering my shooting grip even slightly. Big ups to Mr. Vickers on a well thought out piece of equipment,(just like his two-point sling design)and the friendly staff at TangoDown.:thumbsup::beer:

10. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Guest

The sharp edges on the OEM part are a bit annoying. I got a $1.99 extended mag release from OMB Express and sanded off the sharp edges. Works fine and beats the $15.95 for the Vickers.

11. Picketeer

Picketeer Guest

Don't see a huge difference in this one and the ones I use that I pay $3.00 to $4.00 for! Is it really worth the difference they charge? :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

12. m4arc

m4arc

I haven't purchased one of the Vickers mag releases yet but I like the idea. First, I've never been a big fan of the extended mag releases. I've always felt they were too long and the sharp edges didn't appeal to me for CCW. Sure I could file down the edges but they are still too long for my taste.

I heard an urban legend about someone engaging the extended mag release on a nightstand and thought it was BS. In an effort to try and prove it wrong I found that it actually did work! Then I couldn't run them in my CCW or my bump in the night gun.

Second, if you run a set of Crimson Trace grips the standard mag release is too short so this one appears to be perfect for that application.

I'll probably buy one or two, install them and do a little T&E.

13. Aristotle13

Aristotle13 Senior Member

Well I have the G34 mag release (aka the OEM extended mag release) on my G17, and I shoot both IPSC and IDPA, and on several occassions we have to start our stages with the gun on a shelf or table and I never have any problems with premature mag-jaculation in any of those stages. And at night, my same glock rests in the same fashion on top of my night stand. I also carry it as my CCW piece in a IWB holster without any issues.

Fight as you train.