Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Noob question here I guess.. I am new to Glocks and sort of new to firearms.

I'm wondering.. are the Vickers Tactical edition Glocks (e.g. G43, with "LAV" serial numbers) that come with different-than-normal / non-OEM sights installed ready to shoot / use accurately right out of the box? Or do the sights need to be adjusted? Right now it is hard to get to the range to test, so I'd like to know before hand if possible.

Thanks in advance!

·
M62/76
12,529 Posts
I’ve never had to adjust any of my glock’s sights. I’d imagine they’d be good to go. You still need to hit the range with any firearm before you trust anything about it.
+1. I’d say they’re out of the box ready. But you need to handle and shoot it to be sure it’s right for you.

Reactions: p.d. and DieselNut

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
For "typical" defensive shooting distances, the sights are probably "close enough".

I would never carry a gun for defense though without a good amount of range time with it. Since you also say you're "new to guns", I'd recommend some practice time too.

·
Boatswain's Mate
262 Posts
When ever I get a new gun, the first time I go to the range I always take my sight pusher with me so that I can adjust it to my eyes if it needs to be adjusted at all.

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,970 Posts
They work just fine. I had no need to adjust mine, although I did replace them with Ameriglo protectors. I don't like "U" notch rears, the reason for the change.

The Vickers gun is a better deal than the regular 43 if not for the sights, you also get the GMB, front serrations, and the breech face cut. All features of the 43X/48 that the regular 43's don't' have.

This was with the Vickers/Wilson Combat sights, before I changed them.

TXPO

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My Vickers Glock 43 shot about 5" low at 7 yards. Verified by several other shooters with different ammo too. Sold the gun off, didn't want to mess with it.

This was my last 43 (had 10 of them) and was my last attempt to really "like this gun".

Reactions: Lt. Donn

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,970 Posts
My Vickers Glock 43 shot about 5" low at 7 yards. Verified by several other shooters with different ammo too. Sold the gun off, didn't want to mess with it.

This was my last 43 (had 10 of them) and was my last attempt to really "like this gun".

That is pretty bad, I would have probably done the same. Sorry for you luck with your Vickers, I have been very happy with mine.

I don't buy into the whole endorsement thing, but the Vickers gun had the features I was looking for.

I know there is the hellcat, 43X, and 365, but the 43 just works best for me.

TXPO

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
That is pretty bad, I would have probably done the same. Sorry for you luck with your Vickers, I have been very happy with mine. I know there is the hellcat, 43X, and 365, but the 43 just works best for me.
Yep, I was to say "a little po'ed". I have had a love/hate relation with the 43. Love carrying it, love how it fits my hand, love its size, etc... hate shooting it. Shoot it good (not as good as my 19s, but that's expected) but just hate shooting it. After each 50 round session, I'm ready to toss it away.

I tried to like the gun, 10-11 months of carrying it and shooting it pretty exclusively, but in the end it wasn't meant to be. I found a Vickers 43 and figured "why not" - I'm a sucker for Glocks with front serrations. But alas... no.

Funny though, before this Chi Com flu stuff hit, I was at a gun store looking at another Vickers 43, :eek:

·
Registered
995 Posts
They work just fine. I had no need to adjust mine, although I did replace them with Ameriglo protectors. I don't like "U" notch rears, the reason for the change.

The Vickers gun is a better deal than the regular 43 if not for the sights, you also get the GMB, front serrations, and the breech face cut. All features of the 43X/48 that the regular 43's don't' have.

This was with the Vickers/Wilson Combat sights, before I changed them.

TXPO
After seeing your target, easy to understand why you changed the sights. You want to give a potential assailant a fair chance of survival, which under the circumstances, they would not have.

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,970 Posts
After seeing your target, easy to understand why you changed the sights. You want to give a potential assailant a fair chance of survival, which under the circumstances, they would not have.
I expect that type of performance out my something I'm going to carry.

The plus side, wide area of margin when SHTF, the bad, when I shoot like crap on a given day, I can't blame the pistol. :)

TXPO

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,970 Posts
Yep, I was to say "a little po'ed". I have had a love/hate relation with the 43. Love carrying it, love how it fits my hand, love its size, etc... hate shooting it. Shoot it good (not as good as my 19s, but that's expected) but just hate shooting it. After each 50 round session, I'm ready to toss it away.

I tried to like the gun, 10-11 months of carrying it and shooting it pretty exclusively, but in the end it wasn't meant to be. I found a Vickers 43 and figured "why not" - I'm a sucker for Glocks with front serrations. But alas... no.

Funny though, before this Chi Com flu stuff hit, I was at a gun store looking at another Vickers 43, :eek:
I hear ya. Over the years I have tried to get away from Glocks, but I always seem to wander back. They ain't perfect, but they sure do work well for my intended use.

TXPO

·
Banned
297 Posts

Curious, did you notify the buyer of this issue?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Curious, did you notify the buyer of this issue?
Actually that 43 was traded in back to the gun store where I purchased it, yes I did tell them why. I'm a "pretty frequent" buyer at that store, so I did get a pretty good return ;).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
For "typical" defensive shooting distances, the sights are probably "close enough".

I would never carry a gun for defense though without a good amount of range time with it. Since you also say you're "new to guns", I'd recommend some practice time too.
This is certainly ideal, but like the OP said he can't get to the range. I have showed up many times and handed weapons and had to make do until I could vet them at the range. The expectation that I would need them was higher than a ccw weapon. You do what you can until you can do better.
Glocks are typically very reliable. Vickers is very reputable. He absolutely knows how a weapon needs to work.
I would trust it, but would get it to the range when I was able. In the meantime i would do dry fire drills together accustomed and developed some muscle memory going.

·
Controller
2,620 Posts
I assume everyone understands that in any kind of shtf/fear for life situations your sights will not come into play

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
This is certainly ideal, but like the OP said he can't get to the range.
If that is the ONLY gun he has, then maybe yeah carry it with the hopes that it will work o.k. BUT, if he has another firearm; I would only carry the new one after taking it out to the range and testing it out. Each of us have our own criteria for what we feel is "acceptable for carry", so the amount of shooting/handling will depend on that.

Reactions: Nanuk

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,970 Posts
Somebody please explain the breach face cut thing.
Some Glocks exhibit what is known as Brass to the Face, or BTF. Inconsistent bass ejection,, dribbling out, or coming back and hitting the shooter in the head, or face.

Glock added a small cut in the breech face beside the extractor. This was added to all the newest Gen 5 guns, including the 43X and 48's

This cut aids the extractor and ejector, flick the round out of the ejection port with a more consistent force and direction, simple explanation.

TXPO

1 - 20 of 50 Posts