close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vicious Dog Issue - best way to handle?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Retseh, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Retseh

Retseh

We have a new family who just moved in over the road, nice enough looking guy, corporate type with a young kid, oh and then there's Charlie, his lab mix from the pound.

Just went over to pick up my mail from the box directly opposite his house, and he's out spraying his yard with Charlie in tow. I hear him trying to get the dog in the house, and suddenly I'm thinking about pepper spray, next thing Charlie ambles over to me all friendly like, and when he gets to about 10 feet he turns into Cujo, all raised hackles and teeth, but no bite. I stand my ground and the owner comes running over.

"He's never done THAT before" he says, and delivers a very un-corporate open hand slap across the dogs face causing it to cower in the street.

Five minutes later I'm back out to put the outgoing mail back in the box, this time with a can of Fox Five Three and a .380 - just in case things get REALLY out of hand.

Dog is still out and he blocks it from leaving his driveway shouting apologies again, but this time his elderly female next door neighbor comes out of her side gate, and Charlie makes a body swerve towards her - exactly the same M.O., approaches her slowly and friendly and then goes Cujo at about 10 feet. She doesn't take it so well, and turns a little Cujo herself, first she screams, then yells "GET THIS F'IN DOG OFF ME" and this time the dog is right up in her face and looks ready to bite.

Bottom line, just how is it best to deal with this, it didn't seem bad enough to call the Rozzers, but something seems approporiate.

Advice/suggestions appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. Halojumper

Halojumper

I'd handle it a few different ways. First, if you think he's a good enough neighbor, I'd voice my concerns to him. Tell him that you hope you don't have to take any additional measures, but will if necessary. It might not need to go any further than that. If he doesn't do anything about that, I'd contact animal control. I'd also encourage anybody else in the neighborhood to call if the dog accosts them. A single call might not get much action, but multiple ones will have a better chance. Oh and some mention of kids playing in the neighborhood (It's for the children, right) might give it more weight.

And, while I was doing all this, I'd make sure I had the means to neutralize the threat as necessary (check your local laws) any time the dog might be around. Let us know how it worked out.

3. madAB

madAB

It seems like the dog is a bit fearful. He most likely won't bite. He is just putting on a show. In the dogs mind he sees you as a threat and he is trying to scare you off before you attack him. Never the less it is not appropriate. I would talk to the neighbor first. Suggest that he keep the dog on a leash or tie-out when outside. Depending on where you live there may even be a leash law. If the situation continues to happen you may have to call animal control. It's unfortunate for the dog to suffer at the expense of a bad handler / owner though.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Carry gun, watch dog. Dog gets within arm's reach, blow it's head off.

5. zeke66

zeke66

Watch for the perfect opportunity, then S, S & S.:whistling:

6. just a shooter

just a shooter

suggest a reputable dog trainer for your neighbor.

tell him it's much cheaper than the alternative, cough*lawsuit*cough when the family pet maims someone.

7. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

This is why I actually started carrying. I live in a housing community but we are out in the boonies. Out here I have seen dogs together. Sometimes 3 other times 5. Good reason to have high capacity gun.

8. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

Many communities have leash laws, check that then ask the neighbor to comply.

I would not mention pepper spray or a gun to any of the neighbors, just in case you need to use them it doesn't look like you are "that guy" ya know the one going around shooting innocent lovable pets.

9. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

The owner should never hit the animal. My dog cowers when I change the inflection of my voice, and he has never been hit (except with the soft stick during bite training).

If you want a good relationship with the owner, have him invite you into his home and play with the animal while inside its "den". Hopefully, he will accept you as an extended member of the pack and associate you as a friend.

Hitting an animal will make it fearful, and fear bites are very common in animals handled that way. The owner needs to find a more suitable method of negative reinforcement.

If you don't care about a relationship with the neighbor, always go outside armed with at least pepper spray.

10. zeke66

zeke66

^^THIS^^
    Never, EVER threaten...

11. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

4 Roundhouse kicks to the face

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

you deal with it with something larger than a .380

13. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Every single badly behaving dog I've ever seen has had an owner saying that exact same thing. Or some variation of, "hes usually very good."

Just like every punk who gets killed during an attempted robbery is an honor student.

14. Lotus000

Lotus000

Good advice above from a lot of folks.

Since it doesn't seem like you're in the ''country'' and can ''take care of the dog'' if it bothers you, best course would be to talk to the neighbor.

The neighbor might say that ''wow, that's never happened before,'' but given the dog's reaction to the older woman, I'd bet my last dollar that it HAS happened before.

As above, recommend a leash/tie out for the dog when he's outside, or some training. I know I, personally, wouldn't trust a dog of mine that did that, but if I had a dog, I'd take the time to make sure it was well-trained.

Good luck!

15. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Potato Gun! Every time the dog sees you, it will run away.

16. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Perhaps why he ended up in the pound in the first place.

Until a dog is somewhat trusted, especially a new one I think a muzzle may be in order.

17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I feel that way sometimes. My neighbor asked me if I would pull the dead morning glories off the chain link fence next to her house. While I was doing this, her neighbor's pit bull was growling and barking right in my face. I don't see any reason to own a dog like that.

18. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Protect yourself the dog should be on a chain or some sort of restraint and in the owners yard at all times unless on a leash if its aggressive to you or your family and its loose i would do the neighborhood a favor and put it down with a well placed shot.

19. Retseh

Retseh

Good advice, thanks guys. Last thing I want to do is hurt the dog, but if there are more incidents, then animal control may have to get a call.

20. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Lose the .380, carry a 9 or .45 and pick up a long gun.

No, jokes aside. You should just deal with it in calm matter unless the dog attacks. I had a similar thing happen to me but the dog was a stray and was completely friendly towards me then it flipped out and attacked some young yuppie guy because she was defending his friggen poogle and she said the exact same thing as the lady you described, lol. I was only like eleven when this happened though so I couldn't do much but maybe tackle the dog. But after she screamed such foul things at me I felt disheartened to do anything. After all it wasn't even my dog.:dunno: