close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RaiderRodney, May 5, 2006.

1. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Been meaning to get something to transfer some old VHS material to DVD for a long time now. If I don't soon I am afraid I will find a lot of tapes ruined :(

What does everyone recommend to do this? I looked at some of the Dazzle adapters about a year ago.

Thanks in advance :)

2. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I use DVD Xpress by ADS Tech. I only use it for capturing the video from VHS and/or 8mm tapes. It works pretty well and encodes them to DVD-compatible MPEG2 by default, so if you want to transfer them to DVD the way they are, just drop these files into Nero and you're good to go.

I saw some people complaining that this item is a resource hog, but it worked perfectly on my 1.8GHz P4 with 512MB RAM, so it can't be that bad.

Joey

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

A PCI video capture card is what you want.

Then you run a patch cord from the VCR to your PC and use a capture proggie to put the data on your hard drive.

You can't have a too large hard drive when you are doing this sort of thing, believe me! Those files can get out of hand QUICK with a 120GB hard drive...

I'd use a 300GB HDD, if you think you'll get serious with this and/or need to store many of them for instant use on your 'puter.

Best of all, a decent Video Capture Card and coax cable will not break your budget, no matter how bad your last paycheck was!

5. Bronson7

Bronson7

Hey Fast. Thanks for that link!!
    Bronson7