close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firea

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Raz-n-co, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ray9898

ray9898

...but this has nothing to do with the average case of PTSD. This is the extreme cases that are the abnormality.

2. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Nope

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Well said Picard, thanks for posting

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. podwich

podwich

Doing a little reading, it seems the issue here is a rating of incompetency for a veteran managing his own benefits. By law, if the VA rates a veteran as incompetent to manage his benefits, he is also ineligible to own a firearm.

In general, I agree that a mentally incompetent person should not own firearms. The concern is that this issue through the VA appears to be a determination of a veteran being rated as incompetent to manage his benefits, not a court-determined finding of mental incompetence. Further, from what I've read, it seems this process may be started by as little as a veteran stating his wife pays the bills when asked who manages the finances at home (leading an examiner to check a box indicating the veteran can't manage his own finances). There is then a proposal to appoint a fiduciary for the veteran, followed by an opportunity to contest this. If the opportunity is ignored, the finding of incompetency may be made (which then includes ineligibility to own firearms).

In short, being denied firearms ownership due to actually being incompetent/mentally defective is appropriate. Being denied firearms ownership due to some weird VA process is inappropriate (and awful).

5. Ruggles

Ruggles

:rofl:

No fingers just numbs left after that many post :rofl:

6. ray9898

ray9898

This is really no different than the process outside of the .mil arena. These are people who are deemed fully disabled due to their mental illness and are drawing funds as such. In the civilian arena if someone is believed to be incompetent by SSDI and it is proven to a court or panel then they lose rights also and will have a guardian appointed.

Bottom line is if you are considered fully disabled due to mental illness, are not competent to handle finances and other important life decisions and have to have a guardian then you are the definition of someone with a serious mental illness.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. ezthumper

ezthumper

I agree with you and your view of this subject on it's own. If the person who is a veteran or not, is not mentally stable enough to posses and use a fire arm, then said individual has no business possessing one.

However, the reaction we are seeing is on a very high and guarded emotional response to the continuing cumulative rhetoric we are hearing from this administration and the media.

Hopefully we can agree that some of the stuff coming out of this current administration is a little unsettling for quite a few folk, not mention to our Veterans.

For an example, in 2009, Home Land Security released-leaked a memo using Timothy McVeigh as their argument why Veterans are a threat and suggest Vets should be put on a watch list.

They were not the only group on that list, but essentially any one that would be deemed to be a threat, pro-lifers, Right wing activists, conservatives etc.

It is emotional, it runs deep, it is hard for some to look at things on a topical level when emotions are running so close to the surface right now.

8. bluesman55

bluesman55

To the guy trying yo make info wars look like the tin foil hat crew. I used to think the same way until I did a little research into some of things he says. Do I believe all? No. But about 95% of it has been true. Look up the national defense authorization act for starters. How about project northwoods. You can print it off of wikipedia. Read the fine print. How about MK ultra? Educate yourself a bit and you may be shocked at what you discover. I don't think they can take away every vets rights, but if you have PTSD they are going to try. This is not the america you and I grew up in.

9. ray9898

ray9898

BS....this is nothing new and is a longstanding process. There has always been and always will be a difference in those simply being treated for a variety of mental illnesses and those who are at the high end of the scale that cannot function in society due to their illness. Years ago they were locked away, now we assign them guardians and 'community based treatments'.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Shark1007

Shark1007

Section "f" of the 4473 may be one of the issues, I'm not sure the database(s) available on a clearance to purchase, but, I'd rest assured many mentally incompetents would deny that question. With HIPPA and privacy issues, I'm just not sure if that data is available to scrub a purchase, same as the domestic violence types.

Anyone know for sure?