Veterans Day Salute

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Don At PC, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Be sure to Thank a Veteran tomorrow.

2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Don,
    How about I start here? Don, thank you for helping make it so I can sleep safely in my bed at night. Thank you that while I was a rotten little kid, playing in my own world, you were in that terrible mess called the "Vietnam War", where you did what the leaders told you, only to be second guessed & abused from both your leaders & us civilians. I can only hope through the years since, the knowledge that you did as you were supposed to do has carried you past the memories of our(people not in the military during that time) shameful actions. Thank you for this freedom, that sometimes we take for granted, that you have fought & suffered for.
    Thank all you veterans, I only hope we were worth it. I also hope we will remember to treat you all with the special respect that you deserve. I will not forget! MLM

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I'll agree as well to start with Don - thanks Brother!
    Mark, thanks for the kinds words. The dedicated, high-speed, low-drag folks I see deploy these days continue my confidence that, by & large, there is nothing wrong with the state of America's youth.

I'm often humbled to be in their presence, remembering what it was like to be an apprehensive 'kid' just like them, now wondering "where do we get such fine people?" Mine was a different war, but many things about service do not change. We're all tied together - as I've told Don before, "who knows?" Maybe he worked on the AF jet that later that day saved my scrawny butt in some miserable valley. Having met him now, I'd like to think so, so I'll just hold onto that.

Thanks to all my brothers & sisters for their service; regardless of when you served or where - you've helped secure America's freedoms. One other thing I'd like to say that I've discovered in talking with some of the vets at the local VA hospital:

If you were in during the Vietnam-era and are troubled because you didn't get over there (or have served at all and didn't get into a combat situation), lose your guilt starting now. Your service is no less honorable and someone had to train people, win the Cold War, watch for missile launches, process message traffic, fix radars, whatever and, yes, push paper.

OK - leaving it with some words by COL T.R. Fehrenbach:
    "You may fly over a land forever; you may bomb it, atomize it, pulverize it and wipe it clean of life - but if you desire to defend it, protect it and keep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did, by putting your young men into the mud."

Thanks to all, and those who will follow.

;?

p.s. The character of so many I meet in the GSSF community is one of the things that really keeps me coming back. ;)

4. Don At PC

Thanks Mark and WIG for your comments. I would like to thank all Vets today. Many have given the "Ultimate Sacrafice" so that we all may have a better life. You may not be in our presence but you will NEVER be forgotten. Let's all remember if it were not for the daily hardships and sacrafices of our great military men and women we would not have the freedoms we have today. Too many take this for granted, True Freedom is NOT Free.

I am Honored that I was able to do my small part and as WIG said ; " Maybe one of my Jets helped in some way save some of our finest" I would sure like to think so.

So please today of all days take the time to thank those men and women who protect our freedom. I Salute each and everyone of them and say THANKS.;?

5. Terminator

Terminator

Chief,
    Heres to you and all of the brothers and sisters that took the oath to Defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign, and Domestic.

HOOYAH! ;?

6. OMF64

OMF64

A big Thank You to all of our Vets not only today but every day. You have do so much and have sacrificed so much so we could live in our democracy. Because of medical reasons I could not go into the Military but I was certainly willing.

I know I am new to Glock Talk and may be speaking out of turn but I certainly hope that the small nuber who have responded to this thread is not because so many have either forgotten or worse yet just don't care. We have many who are trying to destroy the basic foundation that our constitution and way of life are built on, this is not the time to forget what the United States of America Stands for.

To all our Vets I salute you.

7. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I'm going to share a little thing that happened to me one time, hopefully it will inspire someone somewhere to thank a vet. Thanks guys for indulging me.
    Background: Guy I worked with had told me once that he always thanked anyone that he met that had been in vietnam. I thought on that awhile. Time went by, I was in Washington D.C. on some thing or another & was taking a tour of a WWII submarine museum. As I was walking toward the boat, I see there is a tour guide there, probably a vet as he wasn't the pretty little perky kids they normally hire for the job. This fellow was weather worn & had been driven hard, you know? He had one arm in a sling, because part of his arm wasn't there & evidently the part that was, didn't work well, he had a big scar across his face, or at least the part that didn't have a patch over it. He walked with a limp, what little bit he walked, & you could tell they were old scars. He welcomed me to the boat & handed a little brochure. Then said if I had any questions, feel free to ask. I said "were you in vietnam"? He looked me in the eye & said yes, kinda "what about it", you know?, the pride but still concern about my response you get when someone has been hurt but they are still proud of who they are & what they have done. I told him "I want to thank you for doing that, for giving what you did so we could be here today". I told him "many of us will never forget what you have done". His face melted right before my eyes. The sadness, the hurt, all went away, tears started down from his eye, & they were coming down from both of mine. I don't think anyone had ever personally told him "thank you" before. He then stood up so much straighter & I hope for at least a little time, his pain wasn't quite as bad. Hopefully he could be proud of what he had done, what he had given. It was such a small thing. It only took me a second. You can do the same thing for a veteran. Just say what you feel. Don't try to be politically correct, or make up for the harm others have done, just thank them. I'm telling you folks this story not so you think I am anyone because if my co-worker hadn't told me he did it, I probably wouldn't have tried it. I'm nobody, just a patriotic citizen that is so grateful to all the veterans. Try it, you folks might like it, just thank a vet. Anyday, everyday. They don't ask for it, but they sure deserve it. MLM ;?

8. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Thanks to all you guys and gals who put your **** on the line so I can sit here and write this without consequence or someone forbidding me. I have this freedom of speech, I went to church today without fear of somone on the corner that might shoot me for going. I fear not that some death squad will drag me out of my house in the middle of the night and I still can have my guns (except for some reprecussions from the liberals). I guess we take all of this for granted.

I guess just sitting in my nice warm house makes me forget what freedom means - it's not free, someone has to pay for it, either with their time or with their lives. Thanks to all of you who did this and who still do it now. I greatly appreciate it. What I have today I owe to veterans, years and years of veterans that took the time and the cause to another level to protect freedom. We still do this today and WE WILL WIN THE WAR ON TERRORISM!

Thanks a bunch you gals and guys who serve in the military or who have in the past.

. . .Sharon;I ;I ;Y

9. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

THANK YOU to all Veterans.....Past, Present and Future!!
    Your sacrifices are what keep this country what it is today!;f

Dan:cool:

10. wyliearms

wyliearms

The challenge that everyone should face is to not only thank veterans on veterans day, but to keep them in you thoughts and prayers everyday! We are currently at war on multiple fronts - and that means loss in in a full spectrum of the word - brothers - sisters - fathers and daughters all risk their lives when the liberty bell rings. Warriors who give their lives for this country should always be rememberd. I am ex-navy (no jokes) and have several good friends that have either been in combat or are facing it.
    All I can say is your Honor, Courage and Commitment is dearly appreciated.... GODSPEED and safe return!

Had I seen this earlier I would have posted - I apologize....

11. Don At PC

Thanks wyliearms for your Service to our great country and your wonderful heartfelt comments. I have made many joking comments about the Navy and Marines but they were all in jest. I truely appreciate your sacrafices and those of every military member reguardless of rank, gender or branch of service. It takes a "Team Effort" to be successful. ;? ;? ;? ;? ;?

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Don,

Thank you for opening your timely thread in this forum. Folk forget too soon the sacrifices of others. I could not join the advanced ROTC program in College because I came up one inch too short during my physical--I have not grown any taller since then. My niece, Susan Grubb Peace, made a career in the Air Force. Now retired from duty, she still lives in Nebraska.

13. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Don,

Too often Veteran's day is simply a calendar date that passes unnoticed. I'm glad that you made everyone aware and to take a moment to pause and remember the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom. The founding of our nation and the freedoms that came with it are the direct result of the incredible courage of citizen soldiers who selflessly put their very lives at risk so that you and I can continue to live in the land of the free.

On behalf of B&B Enterprise and the Team CARVER Mounts family, I want to thank all our GT'ers, their family and friends who have served or are now serving our country in uniform. Some of you may have lost loved ones in service to our country. To you and your family, we extend our heartfelt sympathy and gratitude.

As Vice President Dick Cheney once remarked, "It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." May reminders from articles in the news about our armed forces to this Veterans Day remind all of us how precious freedom really is, and may we never be without it.

May God Bless,
    Bobby Carver

14. 21 shooter

21 shooter

Just last week, I shook a veterans hand and thanked him for what he had done for our country. He is a fellow officer, always friendly and helpful. I had just learned that he was a door gunner in Vietnam, and that was not the safest job to have. We talked for awhile about the war and what went on. That same week, I met another, much older gentleman, that had been a medic/doctor in Korea. Much the same as what Mark L. Miller related, this man took quite a bit of pride in relating what happened in that terrible place. And I don't remember reading anything like it in a history book, because I could not have forgotten it.

I have worked with and for others who have been in a number of wars, or conflicts as the politicians would call them. A number of my uncles and nephews were in various branches of the service, including my Father who served in Korea. Some, like my Father, said little about what they experienced, because it brought back nightmares. Others said nothing, other than the humorous things that happened on rare occasions.

If I am ever between the proverbial rock and a hard place, I hope one of these Veterans is around.

Were it not for the veterans, this web site might not be in English, if it existed at all.

15. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I only came across this thread today, and I am sorry I didn'd find it sooner.
    I want to thank All Veterans, from All Services, including the forgoten ones of the Merchant Marines.
    You all have done so much and given it all.

THANK YOU ALL

FROM THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE.

Rusty

16. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

That is a statement I can stick on my bumper!!!!
    MLM

17. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Yes, I too am a veteran and look at this a little different now as the years have passed.

I not only give thanks to my fellow brothers and sisters that so proudly served, but to their parents. For, without them and their relatives we as a military won't maintain the desire to fight.

We stand the watch but the parents and their relatives suffer the losts when we fall, much deeper than a soldier can know, until they become one.

My son has the fortune to return and I am greatful for the ability to have given him to the cause and see him come home. Many parents didn't get that chance, 2100 of them just recently.

Let's not forget, they and their families will never be the same for the rest of their lives.

Just the same, there are millions fighting at home to provide the soldiers with the best equipment available. I thank you for the effort and strenght you put forth to keep us and our boys alive.

18. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Here is a favored quote of mine by a man named Jeremiah Denton. He made this little speech on the day of his arrival back in the U.S. after being in Vietnam Prisoner of War camps for 7 years & 7 months. "We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve our country under difficult circumstances. We are profoundly grateful to our Commander-in-Chief and to our nation for this day. God bless America."

What does this speak to you? It speaks of a bravery, a patriotism way beyond what I think most of us are capable of. Thank you all veterans. MLM