close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Veteran flies flag upside down in protest

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jhall, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jhall

jhall

Saw this on the local news tonight. I have a coworker who has been stating he's going to do it as well.

Video at link.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=12199223

RUSK COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - Some East Texans are voicing their displeasure about health care reform. One veteran has come up with his own eye-catching way to protest.

The flying of the American flag upside is a military emergency signal, indicating trouble, distress, or I need help. But, for Henderson native, Don Copeland, it is a statement.

"The constitution has been strictly abused and I feel like that our forefathers would roll over in their graves if they knew what was going on," said Copeland.

The 70-year-old Army veteran is angry that the government, in his opinion, has ignored the people, by passing healthcare reform. He says it has an alarming cost and questionable ethics.

"The way its been passed, all the back door dealings...I'm concerned about the cost and what it's going to do to our grandkids," said Copeland. "I felt like our nation is in deep distress, and as a veteran, whenever you fly your flag upside-down it is a sign of distress. Our nation is in distress."
    His neighbors genuinely sympathize with his means of protest.

"I think it's a good thing he did it to stand up for his beliefs because I totally agree," said Tiffany Pace. "I wish a lot more people would do it and stand up for what they believe in maybe some changes would happen then."

Copeland understands that flying the flag upside-down is not to be taken lightly, and could be seen as unpatriotic, and Copeland wants people to join him.

"They need to get off the couch and do something because we can't keep going like were going now," said Copeland. He just wants his message to be clear.

"I'm going to fly it upside-down as long as this current administration is in power," he said. Copeland says he would like to see the healthcare reform bill repealed for a start.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

There is a big difference between protest and distress. HH

3. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I've heard of people being called Anti-American and Liberal when they did this.

4. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Lots of people around here doing it. To someone, the policies of our administration has put the entire country in a state of distress.

5. jhall

jhall

Yeah, I forgot to add that I'm not sure I agree with the form of the protest..

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I'm all for what he's doing.This administration and congress= :poke:= The American taxpaying citizen.

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Why didn't he just dial 911 to complain about the bill? HH

8. RioKid

RioKid

http://www.jeffhead.com/liberty/flagdistress.htm

[SIZE=+2]Why is the US Flag diplayed Upside Down?[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]

The upside down U.S. flag is an official signal of distress. It is not meant to be, and is not officially recognized as any type of disrespect when so displayed for the right reasons. To the contrary, here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:
    THE FLAG CODE
    Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
    As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
    Approved July 7, 1976
    § 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    Most individuals who have served in the military service of our nation will (or should) recognize this signal. As a result of the many traitors and enemies we as a free people have, both foreign and domestic, as a result of the many unconstitutional acts, legislation and atrocities passed and/or committed against US citizens and their life, liberty and property, and as a result of policies that have allowed (and continue to allow) enemies of this nation to enter in large numbers through a porous border policy, I believe the life, liberty and property of US Citizens are in dire danger and distress.

9. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Interesting, I'm curious as to why not. I've heard some people say it offends them, but I've never heard an elaboration as to why.

10. timbob

timbob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't our true flag the one flown prior to 1913, our civil flag-- the flag of the Republic. I believe the current one indicates martial/admiralty law...

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I agree with him but I wouldn't fly mine USD. I took it down and replaced it with the Texas flag.

I had a light over the flag and flew it 24 hours a day.
    I'll put it back up if we ever gain control of our country again but that's not likely.

[​IMG]

12. jhall

jhall

I wouldn't say it offends me, but I was just always told it was a sign of distress. It's just very strange to me seeing it flown upside down.

13. timbob

timbob

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Very :goodpost:

15. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I used to fly my Gadsden flag, until every nutter and big government "conservative" adopted it as a symbol.

Now I fly this:
    [​IMG]
    Official flag of the Free State project (www.freestateproject.org)

16. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

My neighbor is flying his upside down. Took me a second to realize what he what he was doing.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Mr. Copeland's actions appear to be perfectly in order.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

A Texan first. As the founders envisioned.:cool:

19. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

That's BS. Alot of good americans have served and bled for those colors. The flag and our constitution isn't what's wrong. It's the politics. Those beautiful colors will still be here after whoever you don't like is gone, just like they survived Pres. Bush... if you had a problem with him.
    It's his right to do whatever he wants with his property but I don't see any difference btw this and some idiot burning flags yelling down with america.

I earned my citizenship with a rifle in my hand and I wouldn't live in any other country. If it's that serious leave...go to africa, mexico...I don't care. Just the same thing I say about these extremist in the middle of NY yelling their hate...leave.

20. Swiper

Swiper

I read an interesting article about it.

http://www.loeser.us/flags/american_note_2.html