close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Very sick kitty!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

This is Garfield
    [​IMG]

Garfield is very, very sick right now. He is not my cat but...he thinks he is. He lives on our carport when he isn't with his family. I am the only person in the neighborhood that can even touch him--he won't let anybody else within 50 feet of him. I may not see him for six months solid then see him every day for two weeks ;g

I just came home from work to find him on the carport with a huge gash behind his ear. About an inch and a half to two inches long. It was bald all around it and swollen real bad and HOT. I came in called the vet to see if he could work in a stray ASAP--he closed in an hour. Twenty minutes later, I had Garfield caged and in the office ;f

The vet examines Garfield and immediately anethesizes (?) him. He was in surgery ten mintues later ;P He said that his temp was over 103 and that all that swelling was infection that started on top of his head and wrapped down around his face and eye then went on down his neck and under his chin. So he is going to drain it and hopefully fix him up.

Poor Garfield could use some prayers and good thoughts right now ;w ;w ;w

2. lambo1238

lambo1238

Garfield gots mine ;w ;w ;w

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Hope the little guy gets better. There is a gal in our neighborhood that takes care of all the feral cats in our area.

Do the vets provide free service for these guys, or do you have to pay them?

4. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Sorry I forgot to ask a favor.

Miss Kitty: If I email you a pic of my little guy could you post it for me? I haven't figured out how to get my pic into the format to attach it.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yes :)

PM when you are ready ;)

Unfortunately, the vet I use does NOT provide reduced fee services. But his prices are very reasaonable and he does do as much as he can for as little as he can in times like this.

I have also been dogsitting before and one of the dogs get sick enough to require immediate surgery. I called him and talked to him about it--I was not really afraid that he would get stiffed but know these people are slow to pay their bills. He told me to bring the dog in anyway and not worry about it if they never did pay, that the dog needed help which was more important.

I have taken more than one rescue in to see him. For the just the fee of the rabies shot he will give the critter a pretty good going over ;)

6. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

Bless you, MissKitty! It is very encouraging to see people taking their time and resourses to help out God's creatures.

I'll be pulling for the little guy. Looks a bit like my Red Wing.

To a speedy and full recovery!!!;c

7. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

MIss KItty's in class, so I'm posting this. She went to the vet today to pick up Garfield and was told to keep him confined for a week. Also she was to give him antibiotics for a week before taking him back to get several huge staples removed from his ear and face.

When she tried to move him from the pet carrier to a larger cage, he bolted and ran away. He's too wild to keep in the house or on the porch unconfined. The poor baby has huge staples in his ears and a lot of his head is shaved. Besides, the vet decided to neuter him on his own so he wouldn't be fighting all time and getting cut up, so he has those wounds, too.

Now he's running around outside somewhere in the dark and we have no idea where to even look for him. Sometimes we go for weeks without even seeing him and have never known where he spends the rest of his time. If he catches a staple over something and gets hung up, he could pull his entire incision open. Besides that, it's supposed to be really cold tonight and him with his newly bald head. We're worried sick about him.

We've called all the neighbors and have Hav-a-hart traps on the carport with food in them if he does come back. Other than that, we don't know what to do. Except to pray. I'm asking all of you who believe in the power of prayer to earnestly pray that Garfield will be ok until we can find him and get him safely back where we can give him his meds and nurse him back to health. God bless. Miss Maggie

8. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

Prayer for Garfield sent.

I went home and hugged my kids. Sometimes it's the sad things like this that make you stop and appreicate your pets.

9. mfackler

mfackler

Prayer sent for his safe return and recovery.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Still no signs of Garfield :(

11. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

Misskitty,

A couple of suggestions:

After surgery like that he's going to look for a place to "hole-up" for awhile. Is there any place you can think of in the area that he might go? Is it possible that he's double-dipping. What I mean by that is we had a semi-ferral cat as kids named "Sweetcakes". Parents spent money at the vet on him for crystal problems and the like. Well he too went missing. While riding my bike around the block, I noticed a cat looking an awful lot like Sweetcakes sitting in someones front window. Told mom about it and she went and asked the person about it. Yes, it was Sweetcakes. He was double dipping getting love, food & shelter from them and us.

I hope the situation with Garfield comes to a good end.

Please keep us posted. I'm pulling for the guy.

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

No, he isn't double dipping. Nobody around here claims him. I checked.

Still haven't found him, but somebody has been in the catbed on the carport. Just not sure who?

13. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

Hope that was him sleeping there. Best wishes!

Here is my Red Wing. Looks a bit like Garfield.

14. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

<-- Hoping the best for Garfield. [​IMG]

For what it's worth, Patches had surgery to lop a cancerous growth from his ear, and after, he ran out while I was feeding Jeremy. He was in hiding for five days and came back with stitches missing, but he was otherwise okay. Still kicking, picking fights, and bringing me "presents."