Very pleased to share with you a new cornerstone of my Glock collection: Glock 17 SN: AB227

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by glockhoarder, May 10, 2020.

1. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Hi Everyone,

These have been very trying times for us all.

This or a toned down version (dependent on the infectious risk of the pt) has been my work outfit as of late:

IMG_1366.jpg

I've been extremely grateful for the fellowship of my GT Collector Club friends as a very much needed distraction from reality.

To these ends it's my great pleasure to share with you a great prize which I took possession of a few days ago.

It was Jan 24th at 04:21 when I was reading on my phone unable to sleep over the pending 2A legislative disaster in Richmond when I received a message from a friend overseas about this truly magnificent museum piece. I say museum piece but I doubt that any museum has one. I was just blown away. I HAD to have it VERY quickly. I was immediately committed to having it brought over here in record time fearing for the upcoming gun bills. (Hard to remember a time when worries were not COVID related now.)

Fortunately the worst gun bill was killed (at least for '20) but then came COVID. This gun had to go through three countries one of which was severely affected. Nonetheless, incredibly, I was able to get this gem into my hands in less than 4 months - record time.

I simply could not be more thrilled. This gun is my prize second only to my G1 1 19. This is the 227th commercially produced Glock 17. It is in near unfired, 99% condition in every way. It's totally original and complete save for the loader and manual. I have several correct manuals and loaders which I can use to complete it. As it is now the box and accessories are all original to the gun. It even has the original, hand written label on the top right of the box which was used into the AD range. The label is still white and new looking after 36 years though this is hard to appreciate with the poor lighting in my pics. The gun appears to have been bought, hardly ever fired and stored in ideal conditions for nearly 40 years. All of the AEs that I've seen have printed labels in German in the same position. The transition is somewhere in the AD - AE range.

This gun is of the "duotone" type having a greenish slide finish and silver barrel. This is how the P82s and P80s were and how the first Glocks were made. Many were refinished by Glock to the usual finish to include apparently most P80s. This one was of course never refinished. Duotone guns were made into the AD range. At least the latest ones that I've seen anywhere are AD. There is a thread about my duotone and regular finish AD on the Collector Forum.

227 has an LTF (2/84) date code. I also have one AB1xx (can't remember the number off the top of my head) with the same date code. When I have time I'll pull it out an take a photo of the pair.

The earliest date code that I've ever seen in a G17 is AB-02x which was an Austrian Police sample. It has the standard finish. Guessing it was refinished by Glock but no idea. It has an 11/83 date code.

Hopefully one day 227 and it's regular finish AB1xx counterpart will be in a museum where others can see an enjoy it. Until then here are some pics. The good pics were taken by a friend who takes good pics. The lousy pics are taken by me to show the whole package.

This gun of course has no SN on the frame and no US or patent markings whatsoever. The SN and import mark were expertly laser engraved under the trigger guard by the importer to make it legal to own in the US.

I can't tell you all how thrilled that I am to have this gun. It's one of my true prizes. Having spent years seriously collecting Glocks from all over the world this is thus far my pinnacle early Gun.

I hope that you all enjoy seeing it.

Finally, Happy Mothers Day to your wifes, GFs etc - the women who tolerate our hobby.

Screenshot_20200510-132148_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-122417_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200510-122429_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-122447_WhatsApp.jpg 20200510_133649.jpg 20200510_133627.jpg 20200510_133633.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Fatboy2001, WPGlocks, Johnix and 28 others like this.
  2. pgg00

pgg00

I didn't even know that the first few had a silver barrel. I learn something new everytime i open one of your threads.

That is a nice piece

3. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Most welcome.

Indeed the 1st ones were just like this. It turns out that the finish was not as durable as needed so glock went back and re finished most of the early guns with some of them never having been refinished such as this one. If you look closely at the gun on the cover of the 1985 manual with the AC prefix you will noticed that even though its a black-and-white picture you can tell that is a silver barrel greenish frame gun.

This Is also discussed in a German language book that has an excellent chapter on early Glocks.

In other threads I have posted photographs of a French and AA German magazine with very early glocks on the cover in color that clearly show the same "duotone" finish.

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

5. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

It's always fun to see pre US import guns with no serial number on the frame or us or patent markings of any kind.

Of course the magazines with this gun or of the very 1st square notch type.

Neither magazine appears to have ever been used.

20200510_134549.jpg 20200510_134558.jpg

6. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Even the Box looks brand new it's just crazy to see a gun this early in effectively new condition.

20200510_134838.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. Fishboy556

Fishboy556

Extremely nice Ron, stay safe! Thanks for all of your hard work-medically and Glock collecting.

8. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Most welcome on both and thank u!!

peanuts2018 likes this.
  9. JMS

JMS 02

Awesome acquisition! Can’t wait for a range report. ;)

10. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Lol.

11. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

NICE find, Doc-N-Glock......!

peanuts2018 and glockhoarder like this.
  12. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I should clarify one point regarding the labels on the early guns. I was referring to the very early pre US import guns (AB, AC & AD). The only US import guns with a label on the top right of the lid as most people here know where the AF. All other US import guns including AA had the labels on the side of the lower portion of the box which continues to this day.

peanuts2018 likes this.
  13. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Thank u. Love the term..

peanuts2018, pgg00 and shadowgunner9 like this.
  14. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

THAT is very cool. Outside of simply being a very collectible piece, it’s an interesting piece of Glock history. Didn’t know about the early silver bbls.

15. patcrad

patcrad

Incredible find Ron! Thanks for sharing and posting photos. I think I’d like to have such an early model as this, rather than a Gen 1 19. Although having both would be nice too!

For me, this really is an item that exemplifies the reason for collecting “early” Glock pistols. It is true Glock history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  16. Toocool45

Toocool45

I think I would rather have the Gen 1 19. Given the choice one or the other. Cause ive got quite a few model 19s. Another truly amazing find for you. I'm very happy for you. Getting cool stuff like this is for you like it is for me. It brings you joy.
    Could you get a picture of the frame serial number where they put the serial number on for us? When did they start the black metal serial number plates on the frame in the normal location? That thing looks brand new still? Thank You Ron
    Would your outfit stop those big bees?

17. mds1140

mds1140 nothing to see here, move along

Jealous! Great find! I'm holding out for a barn find like this....for next to nothing of course :)

18. Jayman28

Jayman28

WOW Ron that’s an incredible acquisition.
    Absolutely fantastic score.

19. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Come on man!!

Needs a stipple job...

:D

Seriously though, that's pretty cool!

peanuts2018, glockhoarder and B C like this.
  20. rayzer007

rayzer007

The word "pristine" comes to mind - and that's a nice word when applied to original firearms!