close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Very old hot water heater removal

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TurboTalon, Mar 14, 2010.

1. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

I got a 8 foot tall ancient hot water heater taking up a lot of space. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the thing out of the basement? Would cutting it up work? Or would I die form absetos?

2. snappy

snappy

If it's going to be a big hassle can you not just drain it and leave it? Hook the new one up beside it and re-route the pipes? Not real hard to do at all. If you're dead set on removal you can cut it up with a saw zall. If it's asbestos wrapped I wouldn't mess with it, way too much problems there.

3. DaveCharlie09

DaveCharlie09

Disconnect all the safety devices and do it up Mythbusters style.:rofl:

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

8ft tall? Holy crap that thing must be old. Are you sure its that tall? Most are 5-6ft tall tops. It's a job cutting them apart.... Assuming its like current heaters(tin on the outside, fiberglass inside) its not to bad, just a bit time consuming. Get your sawzall, a package of metal blades, and make an afternoon of it.. :). A circular saw will work also.

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/mai...en-apart-an-Electric-Water-Heater-204563-.htm

5. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Hot water heater? HOT water Heater?!

Why do you heat HOT water?!:tongueout:

Hope I'm the first to get that little dig in!!:supergrin:

I'd disconnect it, drain it, then either drag it out or cut it up as needed.

If there is some asbestos in it, then wetting the stuff will keep it from getting air-born and causing a problem (wear a mask if you're worried)

Thing can't be that heavy that a couple good sized guys couldn't wrestle it around and get it out of the celler with a little planning and dolly or skids.

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If it is old enough to have asbestos, then I suggest that if you want to remove it yourself, you try and do it in one piece. Duct tape and heavy plastic sheeting should contain any debris. As stated, wet asbestos does not become airborne. I would not trust any dust mask to stop it however.

When moving stuff like that I like 2x8s, a web strap come-a-long and patience.

7. Executor99

Executor99 WAL-MART MOD

Use it for the backstop in your new basement range?

8. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Try a refrigerator dolly or a large hand truck and a friend or two. There is a good possibility it is full of lots of scale especially if you have hard water.

9. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

If it was me and I wanted to get it out of my house, I'd unhook it, drain it and call a local mover and let them move it outside. It might cost a couple hundred bucks for them to move it, but it would be worth it to have it gone. Good Luck.

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Get a company to do it. You don't want to screw with asbestosis.

11. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

I might just leave it down there. My house is from the 50s so I am guess this is the original. The new one is already installed. Just was looking to get this one out

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  12. auburn4

auburn4

Hey Brother!! Leave it there. In 2095 when they level your area for a space dock,you will really make a "talking points" on the Optical Receiving Eye Glasses.:rofl::rofl:

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have a old timer. It is @ 5' tall. Likely 60 lbs of scale in it.... When I put in new water heater part of deal will be removal/disposil of old one... ;)
    I plan to reinforce the stairs before they show up.

14. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

I had an old one replaced. The guy huffed and grumbled as he wheeled it out. Way more than 60 pounds of scale in that one. :rofl:

15. 357ruger

357ruger

As an electrician,I always take a shop vac and use a piece of 3/4" emt slightly bent and duct taped to vacuum to clean the calcium deposits in the bottom every time I change out the bottom element.You might want to try and clean out the bottom like this to take the weight off and then you should be able to move it with a hand truck.Empty water heater is not that heavy.

16. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Appliance dolly with strap and stair walkers. Get a helper and a spotter. Two guys on the dolly and a spotter on top the stairs and in front of doorways.

Or tip it on end and carry it like a sofa.

17. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

I took one of those old things out of my unfinished basement. After draining all the water it still weighed about 500 lbs. I had it strapped to a furniture dolly and then connected that to the winch that I had on my jeep. With the winch I was able to drag it up the concrete steps, but it did bend my furniture dolly a little bit. I then had to use a loader to set it on truck to take to the dump. If you don't have a winch your going to need about 4 friends, a dolly and a case of beer.

18. community

community Member

for $5000, I can remove it for you.

19. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

Hmm I like the winch idea. We got a wooden stairway so it probably wouldn't even be able to support the damn thing. The guy that installed the new one didnt want to touch the old one. Rocking it back and forth it doesn't seem too too heavy.

20. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

Darn, beat me to it. If the water is already hot, you don't need a heater.:whistling: