Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought folks of the history inclined would enjoy this. It's a 10 minute long video that talks about what made India the country that it is today.

I honestly didn't know that Bangladesh used to be East Pakistan. So I learned something new.

And man.....the British really screwed the pooch with India, didn't they?

Discuss. I'm off to smoke a cigar in Portland.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Bangladesh recently had almost 50% of its population ****ting outside. It was identified by international organizations as a world health crisis. Through aggre$$ive campaigns they’ve reduced that to only 1% of their population defecating outdoors.

India, even though they’re far more wealthy than Bangladesh, still deals with this issue despite spending billions since the 80’s to get people to quit ****ting outside.

Interesting part of the world for sure.

India actually has one of the most significant and longest running rebellions in the world – the Maoist Naxalite rebellion which controls something like a third of Indian territory. The rebels are poor peasants.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OvUVzvt_jtg

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bangladesh recently had almost 50% of its population ****ting outside. It was identified by international organizations as a world health crisis. Through aggre$$ive campaigns they’ve reduced that to only 1% of their population defecating outdoors.

India, even though they’re far more wealthy than Bangladesh, still deals with this issue despite spending billions since the 80’s to get people to quit ****ting outside.

Interesting part of the world for sure.

India actually has one of the most significant and longest running rebellions in the world – the Maoist Naxalite rebellion which controls something like a third of Indian territory. The rebels are poor peasants.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OvUVzvt_jtg
Wow. I hardly know what to say.

In the beginning, I was like "oh, Commies being their usual parasitic selves." But it sounds as if the Police and the government aren't much better.

It absolutely cannot be underestimated just how much Colonial Rule has ruined much of this planet. The French left Vietnam in tatters, and the British left India to fall into a Third World country.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
India is not the only country that the British fouled up, they picked arbitrary borders for most of the mid east countries and so we have perpetual conflict.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,175 Posts
I.....uuuuuh.....don't have much positive to say.

Look, it's a 3rd world country, full of people that piss and **** everywhere. Those that immigrate here are largely dirty and nasty, and so cheap it defies description. Not all of them, but I'd say the larger percentage of them. It gets better after a few generations have been here.

I've been in their homes, worked with them, and they live in my building. I find most of them detestable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the British left India to fall into a Third World country.
To be fair, we were kind of asked to leave, and sharpish. Canada and Australia chose a more gradual path to independence and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

But I guess the Indians wanted to do it the American way! :)

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Look, it's a 3rd world country, full of people that piss and **** everywhere. Those that immigrate here are largely dirty and nasty, and so cheap it defies description. Not all of them, but I'd say the larger percentage of them. It gets better after a few generations have been here.

I've been in their homes, worked with them, and they live in my building. I find most of them detestable.
To be fair, I think I'd rather be neighbors with a Sikh than a Muslim.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
They are NOT our friends. The sooner India and Pakistan have a limited nuclear exchange, the better.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Facinating facts. Kind of sad but it is what it is. India will never become a prosperous nation. Do a search with "IQ by Nation" and see what you get. I see different figures but the most accurate seems to be that in India the average IQ range is 81-85. You have a large, heavily populated country with limited resources where the average person is borderline mentally retarded. Of course there are smarter people there, but not many, and if you can't even get people to understand what you are talking about, nothing will get done.

Just imagine an entire country filled with people like them?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
When did the British give up rule in India? How does colonialism impact centuries old caste systems and the failure of an entire continent of people to put their **** in its proper place?

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When did the British give up rule in India? How does colonialism impact centuries old caste systems and the failure of an entire continent of people to put their **** in its proper place?
How long ago were those atrocities? What is the statute of limitation for atrocities in which the aggrieved must start taking responsibility for their own actions? Asking for a friend.
So you don't think that years of Colonial Rule had an effect that is still felt to this day?

Please explain that one to me.

I'm all for personal responsibility of the current government, but there's no denying how badly the British screwed that country up.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
So you don't think that years of Colonial Rule had an effect that is still felt to this day?

I'm all for personal responsibility of the current government, but there's no denying how badly the British screwed that country up.
No, it would be logically impotent to deny that colonial rule by the Brits didn't have an effect. To assess properly we would have to objectively look at British Rule. What are the negatives, what were the positives? Was there a net benefit or a net deficit to British rule? Can Indians accept the benefits, look at the negatives and then work to fix them? Do they want to invite the Brits back in to fix past wrongs?

And more to my point, when do they need to take responsibility for the way to country is right now?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
To be fair, I think I'd rather be neighbors with a Sikh than a Muslim.
You have no idea of what most India people think of you. Take someone that speaks Hindi or Odia in to a 7-11 or zippy mart. My wife speaks these and 5 other languages. Believe me when I say they hate you.

·
"The Goose"
3,345 Posts

Looks to me like the Schools, Hospitals and transportation system the Brits built are still being used, only the Indians have not given any of it a fresh coat of paint since independence.

This “presentism” view of history going around is pretty frustrating. The Indian ruling class probably would have left the average Indian worse off. I mean, they still use a caste system, and that wasn’t the British’s idea.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts