Very disappointed in DE

Discussion in 'Desert Eagle Club' started by Taft93730, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Taft93730

Taft93730

After researching it a month and then ordering one, then waiting another month to get it, I could not be more disappointed.

Bought a California edition (made in Israel) DE in .44 mag (as that is the only way to get it here), but also bought .50 AE 6" barrel and a .50 10" barrel. Bought 4 magazines in each caliber, too. Well over $2,000 at this point.

Also bought some "bulk" .50 ammo from Cheaper than Dirt at $200 ($1 round), 80 rounds from Underwood, plus cheaper and expensive .44 mag ammo, too.

Bought and installed a Hogue rubber grip the day I got it, which was a real PITA.

Went to the range yesterday. It would never cycle, no matter which ammo or caliber. The Hogue grip has tabs on the inside that were pressing up against the magazine, and as I understand it, the magazine must be "free floating" for the gun to cycle. So, went home and removed it and reinstalled the factory grip.

Went to the range again today. With the cheaper (not cheap) ammo in either caliber, it absolutely would not cycle. Would eject the spent casing, but would close before the next round would chamber.

Using the Underwood .50 ammo, finally on the 4th magazine I got an entire magazine of 7 rounds to cycle. But, I had to muscle the thing very hard and stiff for it to work. Relax even a tiny bit and it wouldn't cycle. Almost have to lean into it like a full auto rifle.

Going to buy some ammo directly from Magnum Research and see if that works. If not, I'm going to hire an instructor at the range and ask him to shoot it and see if it makes a difference, and if so, teach me.

Meanwhile, I developed a heck of a flinch when shooting my G29 right after. Took me 50 rounds to fix it. The 29 feels like a child's toy after shooting the DE.

I think I just wasted over $2000. This thing is freakin unreliable. I would never trust it in a defense situation. Forget size, weight, capacity, etc., it's just too unreliable.

I will say the recoil is really not that bad. The sound is really not bad, either, more like a big boom than a harsh crack.

Will it break in? Maybe that's part of the problem.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Beermeister

Beermeister Deplorable

This video might help.

G19 DB likes this.

3. Taft93730

Taft93730

So, it might be the magazines?

Thanks

4. Beermeister

Beermeister Deplorable

It could be. Sounds like you are having similar issues. That guy has owned several Dessert Eagles in various calibers and he always said they were a novelty and he wouldn't use them as defense guns but you should be able to get them operating properly.

5. G19 DB

G19 DB

fun video

6. ronj1

ronj1

image_0[1].png I have had this gun about 2 yrs. 50AE ,44 Mag. and 357 Mag. It has never jammed of had a FTE in any caliber . I don't shoot reloads and not really great about cleaning. I think I have the only one ever made that always go's bang if you check on the internet.Only gun I like better is my S&W 500Mag.

7. Taft93730

Taft93730

The more I look into this the more it looks like certain magazines can cause the FTF problems. With one magazine the gun works perfectly, and the next not at all. Going to experiment.

8. ronj1

ronj1

All my mags. are factory. I do take them apart and clean them every great once in a while. I use Hoppe's 9 and Rem Oil. This is like 1 time a year. I just don't have any trouble. I must have the only good one. I try to shoot 40 to 60 rounds a mth. of any factory loads.

9. Taft93730

Taft93730

It's a long difficult process to figure it out. There are many variables, and you have to change something, then go to the range to try it, then go back and change something else, etc.

I wish there was a way to shoot from my house, but if I shot this thing around my house, I'd have the PD SWAT, Sheriff, ATF, FBI, CHP, and National Guard on me.

10. ronj1

ronj1

You can't do anything at the range? Our range is $10 a day. It's outside so I can go to my truck work on a gun and go bask and try it. I have made friends with all the ROs. Let them shoot my 460 500 They are all friendly .

11. Taft93730

Taft93730

IMG_7588.JPG
    I suppose some things, but I'm doing some Dremel tool magazine modifications.

To save time, I altered two .50 magazines in different ways. Also ordered two ProMag magazines, one each in .44 and .50.

Also ordered Magnum Research .50 AE ammo in 300 and 350 grain, as well as the hottest .44 mag I could find.

Modified two .50 factory magazines, one by widening the retainer tabs on top as well as using a Dremel to file down the crescent surface where the cartridge exits, and one just the filing.

Interestingly, while the .50 cartridges sit lower and I can see them scraping the magazine when chambering, the .44 mag cartridges sit much higher, with no possibility of that being the problem, yet both behave the same.

To determine whether it's me, I will find an instructor and invite him to shoot it with the stiffest wrists he can manage. Try to eliminate the shooter as the cause.

Here is a photo of four mags, with .44 on the left, the .50 stock, .50 with filing only, then .50 with filing and tabs widened:

12. Taft93730

Taft93730

Trade? ;-)

13. techiej

techiej

I've had mine (44) for several years and while I wouldn't depend on it for SD I have rarely had a feed or ejection problem.

Four most important things to remember are 1) make sure you are not touching the magazine as it must 'float'; 2) make sure that it is well lubed - I use tetra grease on the rails; 3) it has to have full power ammo to cycle...I handload and it is at the top of the range for my loads; 4) good strong grip is needed but you don't have to have super strong hands to hold it well.

I do have the Hogue grips installed and had to trip the interior tabs slightly on the grips so that they wouldn't rub on the mags. These grips make it much easier to keep a good grip during recoil.

FYI - my avatar is the flash from the DE during the day at an outdoor range...lots of fun.

14. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

The DE likes hot loads. It won't cycle weak stuff. Your next problem will be with the extra California compliant parts. You basically have 2 firing pins, except one doesn't strike the primer. When the extra one screws up, the firing pin won't strike the primer either. You will have to disassemble the gun and remove those extra parts. Now you will need to discover that the owners manual does not include everything you need to know to disassemble completely with those extra parts involved. You can thank your California commy politicians for that.

15. Taft93730

Taft93730

Once a round gets chambered, it fires just fine. Spent casing ejects fine. The problem is the next round only gets halfway inserted before the slide/bolt slams shut on it.

Was working better, but not 100%, with Underwood 1,600 ft/lb ammo. I don't know of anything hotter than that.

16. SmokeRoss

Spray it with oil. Load up the hot stuff, and fire away. When it fails to hit the primer take those stupid California parts out, and start blasting away again.

Taft93730 likes this.
  17. SmokeRoss

I have been known to blast a little wd40 or similar into the loaded mags. Not just for the DE, but AR's also.

Taft93730 likes this.
  18. ronj1

ronj1

Have you given your mags a really good cleaning.? Checked the springs? Hand chamber a couple mags . See how they load. Going to load my mags and compare to your pic.

Taft93730 likes this.
  19. Mtnfolk75

Mtnfolk75 A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....

Depends on what part of Taft you are in ..... :couch:

20. ronj1

ronj1

You may want to check your slide return springs. I have a friend that his was bad from the factory. Changed them out and never had any problems. His is 50ae.

Taft93730 likes this.