Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked around and could not find and answer. Let's say you had $50k in a 401 K prior to the Trump up tick. At its height, you had increased to $100k. Then covid hit and you are back down to $50k. At that point, is there anyway your account was better off today than compared before the Trump market? I would say you are back to square one. Of course, i'm just looking at the bottom line.

So in general, how much was lost in the covid hit and how much as come back.I'm hearing you will have gained back everything that was lost in about a year. Way to many variables out there.

thanks

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Basic answer. The retirement investment marathon has been extended a year.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Back to where you started, but with the tax advantage realized from whatever principal you invested.

Reactions: rock_castle

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You lays your money down and you takes your chances.

The stock market is a long term strategy and one should not anxiously monitor its progress. A sure way to lose money is to bail when it drops.

But to answer the OP's question, I think the market is going to roar back with a vengeance. And I don't think it will take a year. The liberals will do everything they can to tank the economy because 1) lieberals care nothing about the working man and 2) they want to steal the election.

I don't hate liberals. But I wouldn't let my sister marry one.

If Trump gets re elected, he's going to take the gloves off and American business is going to prosper. If Piglosi and Schmuckmer can keep the crisis afloat and win mail in votes only ............

·
Registered
32,467 Posts
Keep in mind in the downturns if you are still buying stocks you are buying them at a discount. Then when the market goes up they are worth more.

If you buy when "everyone" is selling you are getting them at a discount.

Its like when I bought at a house in 2011 and it hit bottom in 2012. I sold with a 30% profit by 2015. Now that same house has basically doubled in value from the bottom.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I feel you lost money due to inflation. Same as sticking it under your mattress. High yield savings and CDs would have yielded a return slightly less than inflation.

·
Super Moderator
2,342 Posts
Hold steady and you should be fine in a few months. You were locked into a 401K but some people were able to take profits for three years before it fell.

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
If I lost 50%, in the latest round, I would make some changes.

I was down 20 some odd percent in one 401k, at one point, but it made a good deal of that up in a few weeks.

·
Banned
547 Posts

·
Registered
12,697 Posts
If I lost 50%, in the latest round, I would make some changes.

I was down 20 some odd percent in one 401k, at one point, but it made a good deal of that up in a few weeks.
Yeah, I was down ~20% now I would say it is back up to within 5% of where it was. That said I moved a bunch of mine to low growth/risk money market type funds a long time ago because they preformed better than the other stuff long term if you are just going to leave it. I might take some of that and move it into stock now so I can ride back up and then move it back to MM.

I am very concerned we are looking at something worse than the great depression though with these idiots running the show. They said they would ruin the economy to get rid of Trump and now they are doing it.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words:
5 year chart covering all Trump years.
I'm trying to understand how you doubled your money then lost 50%.
Please provide us more details.

upload_2020-5-13_16-36-40.png

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I am very concerned we are looking at something worse than the great depression though with these idiots running the show. They said they would ruin the economy to get rid of Trump and now they are doing it.
Interesting musing.
How do you believe "they" did that?

·
Glock Fanboi
2,468 Posts
The LAST thing you want to do is look at your investment statements until the fourth qt. The Dow should rebound. Those businesses that are going to be most affected are not on the Dow. If you are a small business with limited capitalization you are in a very difficult position.

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
Keep in mind in the downturns if you are still buying stocks you are buying them at a discount. Then when the market goes up they are worth more.

If you buy when "everyone" is selling you are getting them at a discount.

Its like when I bought at a house in 2011 and it hit bottom in 2012. I sold with a 30% profit by 2015. Now that same house has basically doubled in value from the bottom.

So my 401k along with my contribution and my employers contribution is constantly investing by purchasing more stock. So if the market is down does that mean my 401k is purchasing more stock at a better price and when the market peaks again I will have even more money then the last peak?

/

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
They - the democrats, trump haters, media are doing that buy keeping the country shut down and out of work. This is WAY overblown and the "cure" is MUCH worse than the disease.
Exactly how?
Even Republican Governors are not opening their states. In fact, California is reopening, it is a Dem state and a huge economic engine.

It appears Covid is the issue and that is not red or blue.

Not everything is political...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
So my 401k along with my contribution and my employers contribution is constantly investing by purchasing more stock. So if the market is down does that mean my 401k is purchasing more stock at a better price and when the market peaks again I will have even more money then the last peak?
Yes, if you're still contributing to your 401K.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
They - the democrats, trump haters, media are doing that buy keeping the country shut down and out of work. This is WAY overblown and the "cure" is MUCH worse than the disease.
Federal agencies are barely open and Trump is having himself and everyone in the White House tested daily. The White House may be willing to sacrifice Americans for the economy, but they don't personally behave like it's "WAY overblown."

1 - 20 of 62 Posts