Verizon Tech wanted to remote in to my PC?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

I called Verizon Tech support because my FIOS had disconnected me once every hour for the last 2 days. The tech wanted to remote in an "change" some settings. I asked what settings and he said it was complicated. he said my network was not secured. I told him He does not need to remote in but to tell me where the settings are. he got all annoyed and said he needed to do it because It was too complicated. I explained to him that I am a Sr Sys Admin and I can handle it. I do not normally pull out the title as I do not want to sound like an arrogant *****. He said hold on ill transfer you....I got someone competent...the new guy had no idea i was transfered but thought he was the first person I talked to. He heard the issue and setup for a router to be sent to be over night. I asked him if he saw my network as "unsecured" he said he can see the router settings from his end and that I have security enabled.
    Weird....

2. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

And that's a lie...

3. Glock!9

Glock!9

Actually thats not true. They have access to the router config. I used to work as an ISP Admin for a smallish ISP.
    EDIT: I appologize I didnt mention this is a wireless router they provided not one I put on the inside of a modem.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. chris in va

chris in va

Did you get his employee ID? My friend works for Comcast support and he's told me stories of the people they hire...

5. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

My ISP sure as heck doesn't have access to my router.

6. Glock!9

Glock!9

Nope, he wouldnt gvie me any info just transfered me.

I do not have a choice. They had admin access to the FIOS router/modem.
    I could disable the wireless on it and use another but its a pretty decent little firewall too.

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Guy from Sensus wanted to remote into my PC to assist with an issue I was having with their software. Told him not gonna happen. He started to give me the whole, "it's complicated..." spiel when I stopped him. After I told him I run Linux, write my own software, build my own PC's and don't allow remote connections from unknown and un-verified systems he changed his tune. I find that as soon as I mention I use Linux their attitude changes quickly.

8. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Linux, thats that operating system hackers use right?

I love that line. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. Adjuster

Adjuster

I don't know if they have 'access' but my cable internet company can certainly tell when my modem is connected to their system. They have told me on several service calls that they can see that I am connected correctly to their system so any problems must be with my wireless router. Heck with today's addressable tv tuners the cable company can tell what tv show your watching at any given moment.

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Yes... and I have been steadily helping 60+ year old folks move over to Linux... so they can become uber l33t haxor$!

:rofl::whistling:

11. loki993

loki993

OT but what do you have your degree if you don't mind me asking? Im about to start to finish mine and Its just nice to know what people that are out there currently working have.

Back on topic, I don't get all weird about it generally, Ive allowed it once, not for something like networking, but I had to once because a program that I bought wasn't working properly. You can see exactly what they're doing and can stop them a any time if they get into something you feel they shouldn't be in. When I was working on a help desk we used to use NetMeeting for remote logins. Now they're using this...I cant even remember...logmein.com thing or something like that. That I didn't like, its one thing using the built in remote access thats in every copy of XP, but to use a 3rd party program is a completely different matter. Needless to say as soon as that guy was done with my system that program was removed. Ill never allow that again.

12. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Linksys customer support wanted me to pay $9.95 to remotely pilot my computer to get my brand new Linksys WiFi router working. I declined, telling him I'd be damned if I were going to pay $10 to make a brand new product run right.

I returned the Linksys, got an AT&T (which mates up with my AT&T DSL), and am up and running.

13. Glock!9

Glock!9

i do not have a degree, I have been in the field for 15 years.
    i suggest anyone looking to get into0 the field get a degree though.

I use remote software to support my clients all the time, if i wanted to i could leave back door ways to remot in any time i wanted.
    It wasnt so much that he wanted to remote in it was more about his atitude about it.

14. Nessy

Nessy NRA Benefactor

I usually reply that my employer prohibits all incoming remote support connections, and that typically ends it.

15. loki993

loki993

I can see that, his attitude definitely wasn't great. Thankfully the people Ive encountered on tech lines have generally been friendly and helpful, Ive been lucky.

I know there was a time where you could get a decent job without a degree and those days are definitely long behind us. Trust me Ive tried for probably the past 4 or 5 years to get in without one and have had absolutely no luck. I'm finally in a place where I can actually get back to school. I have my GI bill and I plan on taking full advantage of it. I'm thinking about Computer Science, Ill have to grunt through the math, but I should be able to manage. I don't really plan on being a programmer, but I feel that its the degree that will give me the best chance and any job, even programming if it comes to that. I don't think there are any IT jobs that wont take a CS major. Being in the industry for as long as you have does that seem to be what you've seen also?