close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Verizon DVR Vs TIVO?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

I have Verizon FIOS with a HD DVR. It is only 160gb and holds very few programs. I was thinking about moving over to the TIVO as it is expandable.
    You have to pay $13 a month + pay for the TIVO unit at $250 up to $500.
    You lose your Verizon on demand but tivo has their own. I have no idea what the comparison is.
    Anyone done this?

2. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

how can 160 gigs "hold very few programs"

3. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

Check out weaknees.com. They have great deals on Tivo.

4. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

5. Glock!9

Glock!9

its about 20 hours of TV. 1 movie is 2 hours + TV shows. The problem is I do not watch TV often but I may want to watch a whole recorded season in a few days.
    The kids enjoy watching the same movies over and over so if you only have 20 hours that means you cannot record new stuff or it will auto delete things you may want to keep.
    sports take up a ton of room when recorded as well.

6. Jack22

Jack22 Silver Member

+1 on weakknees.com. I wanted to upgrade the capacity of my TiVo, and bought from them a TiVo-ready hard drive. It worked like a charm. (I didn't want to buy a new TiVo unit because my old Series-1 TiVo unit has a free subscription to the TiVo service for the life of the unit.)

Although I know nothing about Verizon's equipment, I have used a cable company's DVR and found TiVo to be far, far superior because its software is more user- friendly.

FYI, TiVo is coming out with a DirecTV-compatible unit in a few months. Good if you want to get the NFL Ticket next season.

7. dadeglocks

dadeglocks

try at&t U-verse same same as tivo and dvr in my oppinion its better and cheaper. lots of features

8. sarge83

sarge83

I am using an old Directv Hughes SDVR40 Tivo receiver with an instacake software upgrade and dual western digital 500 Gb hard drives. I have 976 hrs of recording time.

I can't comment on the Verizon model but the Tivo unit is like using XP or Mac software when you compare it to the current Directv DVR, it's like using DOS without instructions.

9. Bert.40

Bert.40

The only problem with TIVO is the monthly charge. You'd be better off buying DVD movies that your kids watch all the time or renting movies and making your own copies. I have Directv with a DVR and I try to watch my shows within a week of recording and I do save some movies. I have never got lower then 40% capacity. Of course I'm retired and will watch my recordings late at night or early in the morning.