Venting / Ranting on Trespassers

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Cicero, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Cicero

Cicero

Just a rant on frustrations with trying to manage a deer property in the face of rampant, low-rent, human-trash jerks who apparently only defend property rights when it doesn't involve deer season.

A buddy and I have exclusive rights to hunt a farm (actually two farms consisting of about 8 separate parcels), given us by the farmer as thanks for helping him out of a couple bad jams. I've done several grand worth of legal work for the farmer, gratis, and he insists on "paying" me with hunting rights.

On opening day I got my deer around 8:35, left around 10:30. According to the neighbor, the yahoos in the nearby subdivision had been watching me the entire morning - the moment my vehicle was out of sight, they were pulling into the driveway and then into the woods to try to drive out the deer with their ATVs. The neighbor came over and chased them out but not before they'd done their damage.

On another of the farmer's parcels, a couple guys who had once talked to the farmer 15 years ago (and continued to hunt his land despite never talking to him since) had actually bothered to ask for permission to hunt this year and been refused. Apparently they decided that they had some kind of right to hunt anyway, and we found two nice new tree stands in that woods that have now been donated to our church hunt club.

The first year I hunted this property, I found a trespasser who walked over while I was dragging out my deer. I'd left my shotgun in the truck & noticed that as the conversation got closer to "do you have permission to be here?" his muzzle started migrating in my direction. I calmly but quickly undid the harness to the deer sled and accidentally turned enough so that he could see my glock. Trespasser stopped moving his gun and left.

My buddy has been hunting one of the parcels pretty hard for a huge 12-14 point atypical that we've seen. Last weekend he found that trespassers have been using our tree stands and a herd of them drove the woods shortly before he got there.

These people make me sick. My buddy and I have been doing quality deer management on the property for three years, and then these fake hunters blow it.

2. vafish

vafish

Sounds like time to get the law involved.

Start recording who they are and license tags. Since they seem to be watching for your truck to leave you need to drive in with you buddy out of sight, leave buddy there with video camera, and then drive back out. Return a while later to pick up buddy.

Things like that.

Once you can identify them if they are riding ATV's and such on the property you could also help the land owner to sue them for damages to the property.

3. Cicero

Cicero

It'd be nice, but time is a serious issue. We're trying to expand the number of people who use the property so that there's a greater possibility that someone will show up while they're there. Maybe next year I can get a couple days off around Thanksgiving to give the video camera a try.

4. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Try not to let the slobs ruin your season. I have the same problem.

We Hunt a large private Ranch that is loaded with game. There are two partial sctions of Public Land that are accesible by anyone. One section is 320 acres the other is less than 400. These two relatively small (by MT standards) parcels hold little game and are mostly open fields. These two areas allow the slobs to access the Ranch despite fences, Game Wardens, Patrols by the Ranch, etc. They continually access the Ranch and shoot more elk illegaly than are harvested legally with landowner permission! A few aRE caught and fined each year but not many. A HUGE amount of time and energy is expended by LE responding to calls and the Ranch to patrol the area.

I can see the landowner shutting off the adjoining area to EVERYONE as that would make patrolling and prosecuting easier. Sad situation.

Not all of the public are slob hunters but the ranks of the slobs surely seem to be growing.

This was my absolute worse season ever as far as being bothered by trespassers, slobs and road hunters. Seemed everytime I had a stalk on a good deer or we saw elk someone screwed us up and NONE of these people had any right to be on the property or were breaking the law; shooting off the road,etc. Turned what is usually an enjoyable season into STRESS.

FN in MT