close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ventilation pushing me to Jethro

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Dec 7, 2004.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I have been a member of Northstar (basement of Makati Cinema square)for a couple of years but...I just can't take the (lack of) ventilation anymore. My last trip there , I actualy used a surgical mask. Otherwise, well, I cough up black stuff - smoke particles, lead,whatever- for hours. And I don't feel good.

Well the Jethro place on the other side of the basement seems to have better ventilation. That might do it for me. (Yeah, I know,indoor ranges suck relative to outdoor ranges but those two in Cinema Square are so CONVENIENT. Just walk from my office.)

So - calling anybody who is a member of Jethro - how's the ventilation? the general service? the lighting on the range? OK? What's a name to ask for? Thanks.

2. jundeleon

jundeleon

Ante,

I am a member of jethro, westpoint gun club actually.

Compared to northstar, westpoint range at MCS is a lot better.
    The dividers have posts that have small holes in them where air comes out to blow off smoke away from the shooting bays. There are about five or six bays.

There are also overhead exhaust fans and I think two large industrial type fans on the ground. Its quite cold in the range.

Lighting is generally ok.

My only problem with that range is that they dont have cheap armscor fmj, only lead reloads, which is why I couldnt use my USP tactical there. (I dont want to risk a kb on a gun that only available from Nashe!)

ROs are friendly. I just couldn't remember the name of my regular RO there. (Maybe kung GRO, di mahirap tandaan name).

Hope this helps.

3. agentrod

agentrod

Ante,

I share you're sentiments on the poor ventilation at Northstar although I havent experienced the coughing up "Black stuff", maybe I just dont stay there long enough (dont fire to much rounds) or I'm just lucky that no other sooters are there when I'm doing my thing. I just keep a 3M dust mask in by bag just in case I feel the need to use it - maybe I should upgrade it to a canister type respirator to filter fumes and smoke.
    What I like about them is they are efficent in processing stuff (PTT, license renewal etc.), and membership is reasonable - discounted pa during gunshows.

Jun,
    I havent been inside the Jethro range but when I was inquiring last year I was told di pa ayos yung bays nila. I also sensed they are not "enthusiastic" to recruit a potential member. Any "special" reqmts in becoming a member? membership costs?

Thanks

4. jundeleon

jundeleon

Agentrod,

I do not know of any special requirements to become a member of the jethro range. I just dropped by their range in Del Monte and paid P2,000 for a one year membership plus P600 for Permit To Transport per gun (which allows you to use their ranges in del monte, makati cinema square, and festival mall in alabang). Ammo is about P7 per round 45acp and 9mm.

5. s.g

s.g

I agree from experience that Jethro at MCS is efficient in processing firearms purchases and licensing, though prices are not as cheap as the other stores.

I purchased a firearm there late last year, and true to their word, I got my FA within 30 days, and not another 30 days from then, I got another call informing me that my plastic id is ready for pickup.

That was quite in contrast with my experience from C.A. also at MCS, where I was given all sorts of petty excuses as to why my FA is being delayed, and where my plastic id seems to be a forgotten issue already from 2 gunshows ago.

Ante, you could opt to ask for Alex Maningat at Jethro. He's the thin guy there whose consistently cool to talk to.

;)

6. Evan N. Payawal

Evan N. Payawal

Am a member of Jethro (with an expired card actually). The ventilation is beter than most indoor ranges there, as was described by JND. Alex is the RO who usually is there, ok naman siya. He can also process license transfer, renewal quickly.
    The only thing I want to add is avoid using the metal takedown plates they sometimes offer to you instead of the paper targets, the rounds sometimes ricochet back to the firing line, I know coz may tumama na sakin. Always wear your protective eyewear.

7. gunfool

gunfool

Nag inquire din ako sometime last year but same thing di pa rin daw tapos yung bays so I did not bother going in.

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Thanks for your info, guys.I like the Northstar people, just bad air in there.

My doctor friend warned me about becoming sterile from breathing lead (he's DR. Johnny Nanagas - used to be a pretty well-known shooter - he found Northstar air bad). Then there are things like blindness (below). OK guys, see you at Jethro at MCS.

Men with accumulated lead in the body can became blind

13:49 2004-12-08
    A scientific report released today suggests that older men with high lead concentrations in their bodies have a much higher risk of developing cataracts, the leading cause of blindness.
    This is the first large study to show that lifetime exposure to lead in the environment might play a role in the formation of cataracts, a clouding of the eye's lens, informs the USATODAY.
    The findings suggest that there might be ways to reduce the risk of cataracts, a condition once thought to be an inevitable part of growing older, says Howard Hu, one author of the study.
    According to Reuters, the study, published in this week's Journal of the American Medical Association, looked at data from 795 U.S. men age 60 and older for whom bone lead levels were measured between 1991 and 1999. The report did not speculate about whether the findings would also apply to women.
    In the United States about 20 percent of those in their 60s develop cataracts. The problem accounts for more than 40 percent of all cases of blindness worldwide, the report said.
    Schaumberg and colleagues found that those with the highest levels of lead exposure had more than two-and-a-half times the risk of developing cataracts compared to those with the lowest levels.
    In the United States where more than 80 percent of homes built before 1980 are believed contaminated by lead-based paint, leaded water pipes or both. Accumulated lead in the body has previously been linked to high blood pressure and mental decline.
    Lead stored on bones migrates from the skeleton and circulates in blood plasma at low levels, the study said. While the way it may impact cataract formation is not clear, some previous research has suggested it could affect protein formation in the eye lens, the report added.

9. St. Croix

St. Croix Lock and Load

got the same treatment in jethro alabang. must be part of their training to be cold with customers. but the ventilation is way better than northstar.

10. julianz

julianz toxic master

In door range owners should upgrade their facilities pag nasilip yan ng Environmental Watch Dogs tapos ang maliligayang araw, which will start up a chain of events sunod ang reloading facilities.