vension crockpot recipie?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by towershot, Nov 28, 2005.

1. towershot

towershot

fellas,
    my buddy and i are gonna throw some fresh venison, he shot it over thanksgiving break, into his crockpot but don't have a recipe, if you have any simple but good ones could you post em, we are in college and short on budget therefore the simple ones, can't afford a lot of expensive stuff to throw in but what do you guys reccommend veggies and such? thanks.

TS

2. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

The quickest one I know of is mix some BBQ sauce with a little water and cook the venison in that. When it's tender enough drain, shred it, put it back in the pot and smother with full strength BBQ sauce. Put on a bun and get messy. Instant fake BBQ sandwiches. I do it all the time because it requires minimal effort and if you use the right sauce it's really good.

I have other recipes but I don't know specifics. I'll find them and get back to you.

3. noway

noway

Vension desire something better than a pot

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

add potatoes, carrots, onions, salt & pepper a can of some kind of stock and let it cook.

5. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

This is a good recipe for venison stew that I converted to a crock pot version. If you can swing it, brown the meat and veggies first as I have found it yields the best outcome. I know you guys are on a budget so use what you can from the recipe. If the meat is free, this is actually a fairly cheap recipe depending on what spices you already own....

3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 pounds venison stew meat
    1/4 cup flour
    A "shake" or two of:
    paprika
    salt
    garlic powder
    black pepper
    onion powder
    cayenne pepper
    dried leaf oregano
    dried thyme

2 cups chopped onions
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 cup chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded
    2 bay leaves
    1 cup red wine
    4 cups brown stock
    Salt and black pepper
    Crusty bread

In a large pot, over high heat, add the olive oil. In a mixing bowl, toss the venison with flour and the "shake" of each seasoning. When the oil is hot, sear the meat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, basil, thyme, and bay leaves to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Add the brown stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil. Pour into the crock pot and begin the cooking process until the meat is very tender. If the liquid evaporates too much add a little more stock.

Remove the stew from the crock pot and serve in shallow bowls with crusty bread. Yum.

6. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Agreed! Simple, tasty, quick to put together, and as you desired....inexpensive.