close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Venison Sausage

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Cheezeit9, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Cheezeit9

Cheezeit9

I made some sausage the other day and it was really dry, as a matter of fact, every time I grind it, it becomes dry. Is there something, or another way to keep it from drying out so much or is that just the way that deer meat is?

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

As Emeril says, "Pork fat rules baby!" ;f :cool: ;)

3. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

pork fat in a 5:1 or 6:1 ratio will grease it up a little for you.

4. noway

noway

or ground chuck in 50/50 portion is what I've used in the pass.

As with any wild-game it's lean and low in the fat/oil as compared with domestic animals. So you have to add this back in. Ground Pork or beef chuck ( avoid ground sirloin if you can ) is what you need.

5. punkture

punkture

and when you think you have it right, send me some. i cooked the last i had this morning.

6. awcrooks

awcrooks Returning Glocker

Because the meat is so lean, I always get pan and link sausage processed with 60% venison and 40% pork....perfect combination:)

7. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I go 50/50 ven. / pork fat. By the way, don't buy your pork fat at the local grocery store, they'll bend you over the barrel, instead go to your local buthcher shop. Me and my Father go to this little butcher a town over, we just tell them we need 40 pounds of pork fat and they go in the back and trim it right of the pig. It is funny to go into a chain grocery store and tell the guy behind the counter you want 40 pounds of pork fat though, the look on thier face is priceless!:)

8. noway

noway

But not all pork fat is the same ;)

I whent to a few small butcher shop and got about 10lb of pork fat to go with 10lb of wild hog and half of the stuff that I got was hard fat ( suet I think ) that didn't grind thru the big plate. Select you pork fat with care and once you find a place that has what you need, get it their exclusively.

What I've been doing to help speed up my sauage making experience has been to go to my local grocery ( publix for me ) and pick out my meats from infront of the counter or request it from the head meat trimmer and then let them grind it for me and then weigh and price label it. I take this home and then mix it in with my already ground pork/deer and then add my seasonings and then into my 5lb sausage pusher does all of this mixture goes and out thru natural hog casing even tho I've been playing with the collagen casings from basspro shop seasoning asle.

You can also uses other meats even tho the price of that link startes to go up dramatically. I've experimented with pork and lamb and once did a deer/beef/pork sausage that came out very good. Right now I'm tryingout various hand blended seasonsing in sml quanities to get an idea of what I would like todo.

9. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

especially if you're going to smoke the sausage. i'd suggest 20-40% depending on your intentions. if you're going to smoke em, use a bit less.

10. noway

noway

I've also used chopped bacon from the store. I buy the fattesy bacon and cut it up and mix it in with my meat before pushing it with the pusher.

11. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

another good tip is to double grind all your meat. Grind once add spices, then grind again. It helps with the consistancey.