Vendor and Contract Labor Policy Info.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Jan 4, 2010.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

My church has asked me to develop a policy to guide the church in hiring contract labor and other vendors. For example, we contract out our grounds maintenance. We need a policy for managing the hiring process if we need to change contractors. We also may need other contract labor services from time to time when volunteer labor is impractical or inappropriate.

I know we will want any successful bidder to provide certain information, but I want to be as thorough as possible. Here's the info that I'm wanting from contract labor sources:

1. Completed Form W-9
    2. Copy of Certificate of Liability Insurance
    3. Copy of Certificate of Workman’s Compensation Insurance
    4. Copy of State Contractor Certification or License (as appropriate)

What else should we request from potential vendors/contract laborers?

2. Reagan40

Reagan40

My company is hired by churches alot. All of what you listed is good. We have also been asked to provide the following:

1. Three references with phone numbers or email addresses.

2. A summary of how our business is organized. This lets you know if you are dealing with the owner of the business or some new hire that is making promises that the boss man will not allow him to keep.

3. Written warranty information for their services

4. Proof that they are a certified dealer or rep of any manufacturer of any equipment that they are selling you. In my industry, some manufacturers will void a warranty on their product if it is not sold and installed by a certified dealer.

We are typically dealing with $100,000 plus contracts. You may not need as much information for a $700 contract for someone to paint a small classroom.

Remember that as a church you want to come across as being very honest and fair to the contractor who may not be a Christian, while upholding a good sense of wisdom and stewardship that your fellow congregants can feel comfortable with. It is a hard balance to find. Many churches we deal with seem either unreasonable in their requests(expect a lot of design work and consultation for free, that they then take and use against you in a bidding war). A lot of other churches we deal with seem very naive, and will fall for the fanciest sales pitch without doing any research.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to help you with.

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

If you want to cover all your bases liability wise you should also ask that certificates of insurance be issued:

Workers Comp - you want a waiver of Subrogation from the carrier.
    General Liability: - you want to be named as an additional insured, with primary wording.
    Auto Liability: - you want to be named as an additional insured, with primary wording.

It can be a pain to get these certs, but without them the church (or anyone else in the same situation) are likely to pick up the bill for any problems that may crop up.

(it may be more trouble than it is worth to you to get all this, it is a risk management decision your church has to make.)

4. bcmclane

bcmclane

Both of the above Posters nailed it. Get all of they info they suggested and you are good to go. To stress what Cali-Glock said, make sure you are named as additional insured!!

5. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Great words of wisdom. We want to operate is such a way as to respect the business needs of the vendor while protecting the church from unnecessary liability. Our church also needs an identified process so that it doesn't have to reinvent the wheel every time it needs a vendor.