Vehicle Service question for the GT mechinics

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Resqu2, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Resqu2

Resqu2

Got an 06 Honda Civic with 75k on it, the wife drives 30 miles each way on interstate 5 days a week to work plus weekend running. We have the oil changed ever 3-4k as we should. Now for the question,

Honda is pushing her to change the following:
    Transmission fluid
    Antifreeze plus flush the coolant system
    Rear Diff fluid??
    brake fluid??

If any/all needs to be done then so be it, we are not used to owning vehicles with 75k miles so I really don't know what needs to be done, I do need the vehicles to last us though. Thanks for any advice :supergrin: Oh yea they quoted this at several hundred dollars

2. goatranch

goatranch

If it is an Auto trans and you are driving that much changing fluid in trans will greatly extend the life of transmission. Personally the rear dif and brake fluid could wait. If the brake fluid is relatively clear no need. If it is dark or dingy change it.

You can do a search for recommended maintenance on that car on the net ans see exactly what Honda recommends. Do what they say. Up keep is FARRR cheaper than replacement.

You cannot skimp on maintenance and expect a car to keep going.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

"Rear diff fluid" :headscratch:

4. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Did they really say the rear differential fluid needs to be changed? Civics are FWD...

Unless the brake fluid or coolant looks bad, you don't need to change it.

It wouldn't hurt to drain the transmission fluid and replace what came out but a flush that most places like to push is probably very unnecessary.

5. Resqu2

Resqu2

It is an auto tranny, I was just leary of the dealership, you go in one time and they rush out telling you how cloudy the tranny fluid is then the next service it looks fine :dunno:. I will get it changed, just probably won't use a dealership though.

6. Resqu2

Resqu2

Yes they sure did, this all happens when she takes it by her self, everything looks great when I ride with her :whistling:. I will at lease change the tranny fluid.

7. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Sounds like they just like pulling things over on women :steamed:

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I wonder if they meant the trans-axle fluid? I don't remember if you have to change that or not? But, they may have referred to it as 'diff fluid'... Just a thought

9. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Good point. I would be surprised of a Honda dealership for shady parctices, unless it was a multi-brand dealer that just happen to include Honda.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

If it was an actual Honda dealer that told your wife she needed to have rear dif oil changed on a Civic...I would give the owner of that dealership a call...and not a pleasant call at that.

That's the sort of scam you expect some bubba in a garage to run, not a dealership. Especially if it's the one you bought the car from new.

11. paynter2

OT - he said the dealer wants to change the transmission fluid - do autos even have a trans-axle? If they do, I would think the auto trans fluid would feed it. I guess I just don't know. I never work on the newer vehicles.

12. Resqu2

Resqu2

I think this group sells maybe 4-5 different brands. I don't care to do what needs to be done and the tranny will get new fluid for sure. So what would you guys recommend considering its a FWD car?

13. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

For tranny fluid? Whatever the manual suggests.

14. paynter2

I'd do the trans and coolant flush. VA can get pretty warm in the summer and coolant will break down. This is cheap maintenance - you car will last 200k+ miles easily.- Take care of it.

Check your owners manual for periodic maintenance and see if the trans-axle fluid need changing. I don't even know if you have a TA in a car with an auto trans. But, if you do, the maint schedule should be in the book.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

If someone tells you you need to change the rear diff or brake fluid on a Honda Civic, you should go somewhere else.

Change the tranny fluid and coolant in accordance with the manual.

For several hundred dollars, I'd tell them to piss off. Do it yourself. All you need is a metric socket set and a garden hose.

16. wct097

wct097

1. Tranny fluid is reasonable.
    2. Anti-freeze is cheap and reasonable as well, though I've never had a cooling system go long enough between parts failures to actually need to flush the system as opposed to refilling it after maintenance.
    3. As others have pointed out, Civics are FWD and thus don't have a rear diff to change the fluid in. In their defense, some people refer to front differentials as 'front rear ends', which again doesn't apply to a Civic. They could mean the transaxle. Either way, it's wrong since the transaxle = tranny fluid change.
    4. I've never 'changed' brake fluid. Unless there is a problem where it got burnt, that's probably not needed.

17. goatranch

goatranch

A transaxle IS an auto transmission for a FWD car. They have fluid in them that needs changed about every 30-40K miles just like conventional auto transmissions. Transmission fluid has greatly changed over the past years. It breaks down and then if you change it way late you have major trouble.

Change it and enjoy long life in that transmission. Look at your owners manual or look online.

People want to go cheap and NOT change something and then have a COW when something DOES come up. Its called PREVENTATIVE maintenance for a reason. To PREVENT something.

18. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

Upsells tried one visit and not the next can just be the different technician working on the car. One guy won't upsell anything or missed the transmission fluid, but the next guy will sell anything he can. Wanting to change the rear differential fluid definately raises a red flag as that car doesn't have one and I would be asking for a clarification. If they continue to push a rear differential service then find another dealership. You could also have some fun and ask for a sample and that you would like to be present so as to be sure it came from your car. As far as the transmission fluid, I prefer flushing it. There can be as much as 14 quarts in a FWD transaxle, transaxle is just a FWD transmission, and a spill and fill will only get about 5 quarts. You wouldn't just dump one quart of your old oil out when you change the oil, would you? The brake fluid is a tough call, personally I push the brake fluid flush when warranted, generally after 100,000 miles. A car driven on the highway a lot may never need it though as the brakes don't get used as much and the fluid goes through much fewer heat cycles. Testing for the percentage of water is the only way to know for sure. Antifreeze is easy enough to check, have them show you the hydrometer reading.

I'm a dealership technician myself and I will upsell everything I can. I also have no problem bringing the customer back to the car and showing them the reasons why they should be spending more money. If the place won't do this, find another place to have your car repaired.

19. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

What does the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual say?

20. jp3975

jp3975

They tried to sell me $600 worth of maintanence and i said no.

I think that was at 40,000. They asked a few times then stopped.

im at 91,000 with 0 probs in my Honda Fit.