close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vegitarians/vegans who smoke.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Foxtrotx1, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

So, I have a few vegetarian friends who smoke and drink. It does not make much sense to me, maybe I'm missing something?

Healthy eating but consuming harmful things?

<---- Eats meat, smoke the occasional cig and drinks excessively.

2. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

maybe they're the meat is flesh type not the health type?

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

The majority of those I have known who were vegetarian / vegan more or less did so as a social thing. They got off being dicks towards people who ate meat while also "belonging" among their dirty hippie friends. Typically potheads too.

I have only known a few people of such diet who were in the game for health or simply because the diet worked with their bodies better.

4. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

What about smokers that don't run around banging their heads into walls? Clearly they don't give a flip about their health, why not just bash themselves retarded?

People have vices. Doesn't mean they should abandon all other aspects of health.

5. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Some just don't like the taste of meat. Some just don't like how much land is used up for meat production.

Lots of "healthy" people have bad addictions and while they can choose which ones they decide the other addictions are worse.

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Being a vegan is not healthy eating. That being the case, your argument isn't valid.

:whistling:

7. frizz

frizz

Seems to be the case.

My surgeon and his wife don't even consume dairy or eggs, but it is a health thing for them. They have left of center political views, so they aren't stinky hippie types. He won't even use strong pain pills because they make him feel good, and he is afraid of getting addicted.

The will eat fish on rare occasions when they are out with friends. They told me that overall, they feel better since changing.

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

True too. I know smokers who are actually in damn good shape and pay a lot of attention to diet and exercise. I was very surprised to learn the other day that this gym bunny chick I know is a smoker...she's the type that does those little running events like every couple weeks.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Hey, they ain't smokin a sturgeon or a rack of ribs, so what can I do?

Never met a smokin (hot) vegan. Lol

10. longhair

longhair

Most of the vegetarians I know do it because they don't like meat.

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I've got too many contradictions and such of my own to be so concerned about how others are living their lives.

12. jp3975

jp3975

Most vegans ive met are the fur is murder types.

13. PBCounty

PBCounty

Yeah, funny. Come to think of it - I spend a lot of time and money on home security, personal defense, long term preparedness etc. yet I drink excessively, smoke cigarettes and live a fairly promiscuous / nightlife kinda way.

14. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Let me get this out of the way first, I know non smokers are more healthy.

With that said, smokers who run don't really run any worse than non smokers. I've smoked for years (oh noes! I'm gonna die!) and I beat all but 3 people in my company PT test.

I know several people who smoke and can run 2 miles in 11 and change. They are PT and health nuts, as well.

I know that's not the norm, just sayin'.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Here here! :beer:

16. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

My friend and I were outside smoking with this guy we used to work with. He was a marathon runner. My friend made some comment about getting out of breath easy because he smoked. The smoking marathon runner said "no, you get winded because you're out of shape, not because you smoke." I know a smoking marathon runner is the exception to the rule, but I don't think smoking is any worse on your health than bad eating and exorcising habits.

17. stevemc

stevemc

My niece is a vegan. They are not necessarily health conscience. They have a moral aversion to using the animals for food and clothing. Saying it is not healthy isn't necessarily accurate either, depends on the diet.

18. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Look i'm not saying smoking or drinking is terrible. And yes I have contradictions in my life. We all do.

I'm just wondering if there were any contradictions with vegan ism like animal testing ect. Or, if doing that one thing (not eating meat) dosn't matter when your smoking and drinking.

19. jfost11

jfost11

I only know three vegetarians. One doesn't like the texture of meat. The other two both currently eat seafood. One of those has always been that way since I've known her but I can't comment on the why. The last went vegetarian because she cares about animals and doesn't want to add to the demand that causes what she considers inhumane treatment of animals in the meat industry. Someone told her about a study proving that shrimp have feelings and she stopped eating all seafood as well. After about a year, she was tired of the way she felt and has gone back to eating seafood for protein. That proves to me that true vegetarian/vegan habits aren't healthy if you feel like crap all the time.

20. 427

I have a vegan friend who I've known since grade school. He likes to lectures me about healthy living and animal rights, yet has a car with leather seats, wears leather shoes and has a leather wallet.

As far has healthy living, I like to point out that I don't have to take diet supplements and that in a SHTF situation that I'm more likely to survive due to my omnivorous diet.