close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vegas 2010 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jan 23, 2010.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories and photos here.:cool:

2. Dingus

Dingus

OK, folks, time to report in.

3. cmzneb

cmzneb

Last I heard as of Thursday there were only 150 entries. As of 2pm today..... 270

Needless to say the range was PACKED!!!! And stages were backed up. Great RO's working there....

Good weather (especially considering the last week of rain)

4. jpa

jpa CLM

Stages were backed up because they were short ROs. The Team Carver guys really stepped up and helped out a ton. Hell, they even had a couple Metro officers and NHP troopers that showed up to shoot that wound up RO-ing. My entry numbers were 214 and 215, I was a walk-in registration, showing up around 0930-0945ish. Registration took me about a half hour to get through the line (Thanks Cindy!). Glock M was backed up most of the day, the plates were flying (as usual) and 5 to Glock was moving pretty smooth but crowded early in the day.

GSSF is a good time, but when they have a ton of shooters, it takes a whole lotta patience to get through the day. I signed in and started waiting to get squadded on my first stage at 1015, I finished my last stage at 1330 with 2 entries.

There was a huge turnout because of the SHOT show...everyone was talking about it in line and while waiting to be squadded. Hell, I shot 5 to Glock about 6 shooters after Massad Ayoob. I had to pay extra attention to his shooting, I gotta say the guy really can shoot. Everyone was out there shooting, from the guys with their optics and tricked out race guns to the guy who literally carried his gear around in the plastic bag his gun came from the gun store in. It's great to see that everyone has a chance at this competition and you don't have to spend $2500 on a tricked out 1911 to be competitive.

Good luck to everyone who's competing and thanks to everyone who made it all possible!

5. Glock Girl Gail

Glock Girl Gail ProArms Podcast

JPA nailed it. After the week of rain (more than had fallen in Vegas in all of 2009), we had a sun-drenched range (which gave the shooters a starkly clear target image), and it felt warmer than weather.com said it was. The Team Carver folks had come a lo-o-ong way to bust their butts to help, and it was great to see so many uniformed officers helping all the armed citizens who were shooting.

The lines may have been long, but who minds standing in line talking guns with good, like-minded shooter-folk?

Congrats to Rangemaster Cindy, LVMPD Rangemaster Rick, and everyone who worked the shoot...and good luck to those shooting there today.

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I was a spectator for about an hour, hanging out with JPA. It really gave me the bug to compete next year.

Very friendly people, very nice, easy going environment.

I've got to start practicing!

7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I was competitor number 287. I couldn't shoot on Saturday because I had to work. I was a walk up registrant and was the only one in the trailer at around 0930. I felt I did ok at Glock M and 5 to Glock. When I got to the plates, not so good. But I know where I need work, which is everywhere. :embarassed:

It was fun and the RO's were helpful and friendly when I had a question. There were not alot of people there today, so the first two stages went pretty fast. The plates were backed up because they were only running one set of plates. Another RO arrived and things started moving better when both sets were up.

I met Pete and Dan from Team Carver Mount and had a nice conversation. They were very nice guys and I enjoyed meeting them. I met the President of GSSF, but I don't remember his name. He was also very nice and wanted to be sure I had a good experience, which I did. I'm going to try and get to the match in Tucson.

It will be interesting when the standings come out to see how I did.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. table

table

so i was entry #124 in sub category with my 26. got there around 10am and was done about 12:40 pm. when i got there, after checking in, i went to all 3 stages and signed in with my time at each stage. then went back to GlockM and put an X by my name to let them know i was there and waiting. they had 3 areas but only 2 were open at first, the right and left ones. when they finally opened the center one i was the first to shoot there. i actually got some practice shots for 2 strings. the timer they were using was picking up the shots from the other two areas. so they let me start over when they got a more reliable timer. LUCKY ME!!

once finished i went to 5 to Glock. put an X by my name that i had already put down earlier and went before several people already standing there and waiting. SIGN IN AT ALL STAGES THEN GO SHOOT!! last is of a lone walker coming back from pasting targets. can anyone guess who this is??? if you can't its Massad Ayoob, real nice guy. waited in line like everyone else and helped paste targets while waiting for his turn. he wasn't shooting til about 1pm. right when i was leaving.

the third set is the GlockPlates. only two shooting areas setup and in the beginning of the day thats where the longest line was earlier and the last stage i shot. when i got back around 11:45? i put an X by my name. i only had to wait for like 5 shooters before me cause i signed in hours earlier. jumped in front of like 15 to 20 people standing there waiting. SIGN IN AT ALL STAGES BEFORE YOU GO SHOOT!!

all in all it was a great first time experience. you shoot 3 strings for GlockM, 5toGlock and 4 strings for GlockthePLates. first for GSSF and any shooting competition for me. although when i left at about 1pm the lines at all stages died down and you could register/check in til 2pm i believe. next time i won't wake up early to try and beat the crowds. i'll go later and they will have finished and gone for the day.
    EVERYONE GO SHOOT GSSF!! :perfect10:

[​IMG]
    GlockM. all three setups

[​IMG]
    GlockM. at the shooting line view. center setup where i shot.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  9. table

table

[​IMG]
    5toGlock. right and center setups

[​IMG]
    5toGlock. at the shooting line. left lane where i shot

[​IMG]
    5toGlock. Mr. Ayoob

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. table

table

[​IMG]
    GlockPlates. the left setup i believe?

[​IMG]
    GlockPlates. the plates

[​IMG]
    GlockPlates. from the shooting line on the right where i shot i believe?

11. table

table

there was also snow surrounding the mountains of Las Vegas and Henderson. the weather was really bad for several days before the competition. but cleared up the day of the competition. heres some pics of the mountains from the event. not as much snow as we got last year. it snowed pretty heavily last year in Vegas and Henderson. like in the cities themselves not just in the mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. armordude

armordude NRA Life Member

My friend Larry and I had a GREAT time. I finally met Dan and Pete. Great guys. Brought the G23 No Comp barrel for me to shoot in my 23C so I could keep out of the Comp class. When the scores get posted we shall see how well I did. Thanks again Dan for the generous offer to use your barrel.

Great day after way too many days of rain in Vegas. My "brass monkey" was complaining as it was a little nippy.

Due to the lack of RO, Dan and Pete stepped up and "took a bullet"...... errrr opted not to shoot on Sat so they could run stages. You guys are great for doing that.

I really hoped to see you both shoot, but the benefit sporting clays shoot here in Phx today(sun) hastened my returned to Phx to support Operation Homefront as the lead sponsor.

I will post some on my photos of the event in the next day or so. I wanted to get a "group" photo with Dan and Pete, but because they were working, i did not get to do that. I guess that will "force" :upeyes: me to come and shoot with you again.

Thanks to all the GSSF staff and Vol's how made my first GSSF match a ton of fun.

13. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Ok, here at the hotel we are at the internet connection is poor. So posting photos is out for now. Thank you to everyone who came out and helped run the match. As everyone saw, they where very short of RO's for the match. That makes if necessary for everyone to pitch in and help. Thank you goes out to everyone. We all did it, we made it happen. On Sat. we had 273 entries shoot talk about work you butt off. The range also set a new high for there range of just under 300. Way to go folks!

I had a great time made new friends Mark P./ Dan C. and Tony(G19)

Thank you everyone.
    Pharaoh

14. armordude

armordude NRA Life Member

The one complaint have is that the targets blended into the cardboard holders and with the lighting(bright) and bad eyes I have, I was guessing at where to aim for the A B ring at this event. Is this normal at GSSF? If you look at the photos above, the targets blend into the cardboard holders. I could have used a outline on the D1 target or at least a A ring aim point.

Since i have bad eyes(read: glasses) this really sucked.

15. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Usually, the targets are more 'free standing' without backers like this 'paper option' Glock M set up:
    [​IMG]

But it often depends on how the host range is able to set up the targets based on their range characteristics and equipment. Here's a shot of 'paper option plates' set up for one Gunny Challenge match:
    [​IMG]

Here's a 5tG set up in Minnesota, they're high like that so the bullets will hit the berm as required.....note the stools in front of targets, they're needed so the RO's can score and paste! :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

While I fully agree that having the cardboard targets on cardboard backers does create a difficult target to see well, and a white or black backer would have been a real good idea, the thing to remember is that it is the same for everyone, so it's 'fair'.....it gives no one any advantage that they didn't already have, like good vision. And I hear ya on that one....I'm into trifocals too, and it sucks.

16. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Forgot the part about "Don't get flustered....don't try to shoot fast.....shoot accurately! You will have a much better score." huh? Don't worry, I think nearly all first timers do.

All of the Team Carver Mounts shooters are great! And damn good looking too! (well, except Parker maybe.....he's too young and skinny) ;)

Did the armorer take care of your G17 for you?

17. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

He found cracks on both sides of the frame above the pin holes. I was advised to send it back to Glock. Apparently it is a common problem with the early Glocks and they have a means to repair and save the frame. I want to start using that G17 as my GSSF gun. Those gen1 frames fit my hand really well. Chris Reese was the armorer and we had a good discussion about the old Glocks. He related how when he was working at the factory, they had some P80's over here and the ATF made them destroy the frames. :crying:

He also told me about cutting a 1gen frame down to G19 size. That sounds interesting.

It was a good day and I'm glad I signed up. I'm hoping to try a match again in Tucson.

18. jpa

jpa CLM

That sucks about the 17. I'm waiting for the full schedule to come out so I can put in my time off requests at work. Let me know if you're going to Tucson for sure, maybe we can carpool or something.

19. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Table: This match was done at a Police range, where they probably use a lot of B-27 type paper targets and not IPSC, IDPA, or NRA D-1 type targets. They apparently just stapled the smaller D-1 targets onto their existing cardboard backers, as shown.

Notice the picture Butch shows. There are upside-down B-27's under the D-1s, so that there would be a black outline to differentiate the D-1's from the backers.

The Gunny Challenge depicted by Butch, probably circa 2006, was held at the SAME RANGE as this past weekend's match. Using the same target stands.

Apparently, they forgot that little trick since that Gunny Challenge was held there.

20. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Did anyone see any neat-o airplanes down there, flying in and out of Nellis?