close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VAQ-141 Shadowhawks EA-18G Cruise

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 427, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 427

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cy3Cs4n7PQ"]VAQ-141 Shadowhawks EA-18G Cruise Video 2011 (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4oBr744hY0"]VAQ-141 Shadowhawks EA-18G Cruise Video 2011 (Part 2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58onKXrDP3E"]VAQ-141 Shadowhawks EA-18G Cruise Video 2011 (Part 3) - YouTube[/ame]

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

I was in VAQ-137 back in the late 80's. Many memories on the USS America.

3. Toyman

Toyman

Holy crap, when did they start using EA-18's?

I was in VAQ-138 from 1998-1992.

4. 427

For the afternoon people

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

VAQ 133 was my training squadron for FRAMP school in 1978 just before I shipped over to VQ2 in Rota Spain.

6. bunk22

bunk22

Not the most popular platform for students completing down here in Kingsville but if I got a chance to do it all over, I'd pick it. Navy Prowler slots are almost non-existent now and the Growler slots are pretty small as well.

I like the GoPro Growler video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiA0nMiw1ho"]GoPro F18 Fighter Jet - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

My sim partner in 737 Initial is flying those at Whidbey. :cool:

8. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

I would love to take a ride.

9. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Bunk 22 - I'm a total outsider, other than camping occasionally on Whidbey Island, but I'm surprised to hear that.

It's the newest the Navy has, loaded up with gizmos, some very cool capabilities (even the ones that are public, and I can only imagine what the full range of options are), and I'd assume the platform is very much in-demand by various commands as an essential tool for any serious operation.

Hard to imagine that flying the world's premier Defense Suppression and EW platform isn't career-enhancing?

It's maybe not as cool as going for a normal Super Bug, but what's not to like?

10. bunk22

bunk22

I don't think it has anything to do with career enhancement, any community will allow for an aviator to move up the chain and potentially command. The mission certainly is cool in my book, the area is awesome I'm sure but putting bombs on target or engaging enemy jets is what attracts people. I'm sure the Growler guys learn defensive and some offensive ACM but it's not their primary mission. It's a heavier aircraft, has a lot crap hanging off it and with the same sized motors so I'm hearing it's a bit of poor performer.

My old boss was a Tomcat driver who had fought everything, from Mig-21's and 29's to legacy and Super Hornets. He said the toughest opponent was a clean Hornet, especially in the slow fight. But hang anything on it, it was like slapping an armless child. Of course, given the advantage, even David can defeat Goliath, witness the F-22 kill on the Growler :cool:

[​IMG]

11. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Gotcha - makes total sense.

Interesting that 'killing' an F-22 in training flights is a big enough deal to warrant a silhouette...

Again, I'm just an internet commando who happened to watch Top Gun on Blu-ray last month, but if you're painting a training kill on your plane, you're either the world'd biggest d-bag, or you've accomplished something that EVERYONE involved recognizes as a rare and special achievement totally worthy of bragging on.

Go Raptor! :)

12. bunk22

bunk22

My understanding is a Raptor kill is rare and even more rare would be a Raptor kill by a Growler. I think this aircraft was at the rear of a strike package and bagged the Raptor. The one you don't see who will kill you. So it was done to highlight it and probably as a dig to the Air Force :supergrin:

13. Justice Guy

Justice Guy

What's up with the Tornado refueling in burner? It's around 5:50 in the second video. Seems a little counter-productive...