Vang Comp

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by speicher, Sep 19, 2013.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Lengthening a forcing cone, porting and polishing are all techniques that were around before Hans Vang. I don't know what he patented, maybe a specific tool I don't know, but other reputable shops do those techniques.

2. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I have a 591A from Vang and am very happy with its performance.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

3. 22highcaps

22highcaps

Just in case any one is wondering, it is not the lengthening of the forcing cone that shrinks the patterns. I have one full VCS barrel and one barrel that had just the forcing cone lengthened (different smith). The later was not very helpful in shrinking patterns.

4. aippi

aippi

Yep, as stated above - Back boring and lengthening the forcing cones on shotguns was being done in Europe before any one reading this was born. Since he does not make the barrel, Remington manufactures it, anything he does to it is open game. If he manufactured the barrel then he could have some rights to it but anyone can modify something they buy. I can buy a barrel from Remington and do anything I want to it and sell to anyone I want. That is why all the Custom gun builders who simply modify AR's, .45's, Shotguns, 700 and so many more can do what they want to them. If they copy an accessory that is pattened and use that as their own, then they have problem.

This in no way anything against his builds. The are being used by LEO's all over this country and for good cause and he know the platform and the business.

I am learning from many who know, that the new flight control waddings are all but antiquating choke. I don't use the flight control stuff, don't want them or need them as I use a shotgun for what it is, a shotgun and I find the patterns I get to be effective for my defense needs. There is a reason it is called a scatter gun. Others seem very impressed with 00 making one hole at a certain yardage. Me, if I want one hole I use a slug.

5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I was hoping you would chime in on this thread because I was pretty sure of what you were gonna say, and I agree with every word of it.

My shotgun is for home defense which is from bad breath to 20 yards inside my house. I want 00 buck to spread an inch per yard just like it's intended to. With that kind of spread at five yards and out I'll be putting 00 into the heart and both lungs of an intruder, that's the quickest route to incapacitation besides the snot box. There is nothing finer than a cylinder bore and 00 buck for that role. Why anyone would want a super tight group out of buckshot is beyond me.

6. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

You know Gribble, unlike the Duck Dynasty dude, I can swing both ways and make good arguments for those loads.

At short ranges the gun certainly has to be aimed and regardless if it's FC or Walmart buck, the patterns will be similar. 5" at 5 yards or 2" at the same distance with a slug like performance is likely equally lethal. On the other hand, spreading the pellets around a little bit so each one has an equal chance to cause a field of damage has intrigue or, as some proponents of FC urge, once the pellets enter the body, they will cause their own wound channel which means they will move around and so forth.

I have both rounds and on paper the FC prints tight but I don't recall any field reports where someone was shot with FC and the tightness of the pattern failed to end a situation but we do know that non-FC rounds do open up quite a bit past a certain point.

Perhaps a comprise, if one is needed, would be taking a look at the Remington buck that is uses a polymer buffering material around the pellets like FC but it doesn't a FC type of wad. The patterns seem to be pretty good without a lot of deformity. Something to consider and the price of them is not expensive.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Swing away Buff, swing away! :supergrin:

As for the rest of your buck shot beliefs, I can't say you're wrong. I've never seen or heard of any specific reports of any FC round that failed to perform/stop a threat and quite honestly, if an FC failed a traditional buck shot load probably would have failed as well. The differences between the two loads aren't so staggering as to cause a large difference in results between the rounds. Like you, If some guy dropped a load on me and it was an FC load I would use it and only feel kind of awkward putting it in...

The tube....

The mag tube you sick freak!

Personally, I'll stick with traditional 00 just for the spread and the increased likelihood of hitting more vitals/surface area.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. aippi

aippi

Buff is seldom wrong nor can anyone who looks like Raymond Burr ever be.

As stated, choke makes no matter inside. My point is that even out side I want a combat pattern. If I start taking fire I am moving to cover immediatley. I am retuning fire as I move and even after 40+ years of shooting these things I am not good enough to put a slug in a threat while I am at a dead run. So throwing a decent spread could put some lead on the threat. Even one 32/33 caliber pellet hitting him in the chest or head can end the threat against me. So, I want spread. Heck even if one just hits his hand or arm and throws off the shot he is about to get off and save my life. Once out of the area and away from the threat I call 911 and let them boys come deal with it. I got out of there alive so I don't give two squirts if the guy is dead or not. I use a shotgun for what it is designed for and do not try to chane it to something it is not.