close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vampire horror/survival novel

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Spydermonkey, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey in ur rearview

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

From the back cover:

Robert Neville is the last living man on Earth....but he is not alone. Every other man, woman, and child on Earth has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood.

By day, he is the hunter, stalking the sleeping undead through the abandoned ruins of civilization. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn.

How long can one man survive in a world of vampires?
    -----------------------------------------------------

The main story is 170 pages of the 317 page book. The rest is a handful of short stories. Considering that they were written between 1954-1989 they are quite good and could be placed in the modern day. For $14 at Borders it's worth a look.

2. jacquejet

jacquejet

Your description of the plot seems much like Charlton Heston's movie The Omega Man .

If you haven't read it, try John Steakley's Vampire (as well as Armor ).

3. Spydermonkey

The Omega Man is actually and adaptation of this book/story. The main characters's name was even kept the same in the movie, but the stroy/plot was slightly changed. Good for you that you picked up on that.

4. Spydermonkey

5. A_Fletcher

A_Fletcher Yardwork Ninja

Isn't this also the premise of a Vincent Price movie? "Last Man On Earth" maybe?

6. Spydermonkey

Yes it is, but most people recognize it from the Omega Man. The Last Man on Earth is more of a cult classic known to few.

7. LarryNC

LarryNC Millennium Member

How about Stephen King's "Salems Lot." I listened to this as an audiobook. The unabriged version was over 17.5 hours. The movie scared the crap out of me when I was in High School and the audiobook was SO much better. Another really good one was "Bag of Bones" by the same author. The latter was slightly over 22.5 Hours.

8. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Omega Man was my first immediate thought as well. While I like Charlie Heston & I liked the story-line, I didn't really care for the movie. It had a 60's Mod flavor to it that I've never really cared for. Bet the book is good, though. They usually are better than the movie, as long as they aren't 'novelizations' of the movie.

Salem's Lot is my favorite all-time Stephen King novel w/ Christine running a close second.