Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Valvoline - vet friendly!

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Bonk, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Last week I ducked into the local Valvoline place ( to get the oil changed in my truck. It's a nondescript truck, a 1998 Ranger, with NRA and Marine Corps stickers in the back window. As I was hopping out, the manager asked me if I was a Marine. I'll admit, I was half awake and not in the best of moods, so I just smiled, and gave him my stock answer, "Yup, seven of the best years of my life", then went off to pick through the newspaper as they worked. Soon enough, it was done. When he gave me my bill, I noticed it was a little less than last time. This sort of stuff normally gets more expensive rather than less expensive, so I kind of silently pointed at it. The manager smiled, and said "veterans discount, Semper Fi" as he walked by and put the reminder sticker on my windshield.

As someone who has been out (including IRR time) for nearly four years, and whose service was honorable but undistinguished (the only time I got shot at was by accident), I don't normally make a big deal of having served. It's something I did, and am very proud of, but it's not the foundation of my life. Still, I was touched, even by the $5 involved, and sent a very nice letter to the corporate headquarters letting them know I appreciated the gesture.
  2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Central Virginia
    That's great, Bonk.

Just checked, there are none here in Richmond...:(

3. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

RFD South Georgia
    That's good to hear, and know. Thanks for sharing Bonk.