GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have well over 200 lb or lead, most of it being jacketing for old high voltage lines that were installed in underground ductwork....and the rest being scrapped lead plumbing.
This was saved for my grandfather to make fishing weights out of. And believe me, we used a lot of them. He has passed away and I still have this lead. I'm not sure what to do with it.
Questions.. what would this be worth for someone who casts their own bullets?
Can it be used for such? I know nothing about the alloys of cast bullets or casting them, but I'm assuming that this lead is too soft for bullets.
I'm wondering if lead will soon be as hot of a commodity as toilet paper was just a few months ago.

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
I just paid 75 cents a pound a few days ago for "clean pure lead". Buying FROM the recycling center.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I see battery core charges are $18 around here, so it’s gotta be worth something. A few years back, you couldn’t give one away.

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,471 Posts
I paid $100 for 300 pounds of wheel weights to go with my 500 pounds of plumbers lead ( neighbor gave me the lead).
Got lucky on both counts as I consider $0.30 a pound for wheel weights about half wholesale.
Local recycler selling wheel weights for $1.50 a pound. Lead varies from $1.50 to $3.00 a pound.
You might try putting up a lead for sell note at your local range, especially an outdoor range. Should be able to get $1 a pound

·
Registered
34,815 Posts
For scrap, its worth about 30c-40c a pound. If cast into 1# ingots, maybe $1/#.

Reactions: Taterhead

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
As Fred says, cleaned and cast into ingots, $1/lb easily.

Soft lead is useful to bullet casters. Pure lead is good for muzzle loaders. Many add a bit of harder lead alloy to strengthen the mix for other uses.

If you don't want to mess with casting into ingots, a Craiglist ad might still yield some cash sold "as is". Bullet casters are scroungers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts