Glock Talk banner

value base pistol

2169 Views 42 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  moeman
What are your thoughts on a value based pistol.
I was doing a little reading about the SD9VE and they sound pretty good.
Also some of the surplus gun seem to be good values too. CZ75. The old gen 3 smith are great guns but their not as cheap as they used to be.
If you want to have a extra truck gun and do not want to spend a bunch of money but wanted it to be reliable.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
Lately there have been some great internet deals on the M&P Shield for around $330. Great price on a great gun that is extremely reliable.

· Registered
8,280 Posts
Why not have both? Steyr m9a1 is as good as it gets in a polymer pistol...and ive shot one next to most of them. Should be able to get one for under $500.

Cz is very nice too. The metal frame guns actually shoot a bit better than the steyr.

· Registered
3,497 Posts
I'm not sure what the purpose of an extra truck gun serves. If it will be used for self defense, then the value of a firearm is determined by what you are protecting-- namely yourself and family. I could be mistaken, but it sounds like you are wanting something cheap enough to get by. I suggest you buy the best firearm you can afford that has the proven reliability, capacity and caliber to safeguard those you love. I use a CZ P-09 for my home defense gun and it's actual performance has confirmed it's value. A very good gun doesn't have to be the most expensive one, either.

· Registered
422 Posts
I don't really know what an "extra truck gun" is. But if I just wanted a reliable handgun that I wouldn't worry about getting beaten up, I'd go for a LE trade-in of some sort. I think I got my Gen 2 Glock 22 for $350-375. I also bought a S&W Model 10 from Bud's for $300 last month. The bluing shows a lot of wear but it shoots like a dream. I would feel well armed with either and would also choose either of them over a SD9VE.

· GTDS #88
3,302 Posts
Model 10's never go out of style

I don't really know what an "extra truck gun" is. But if I just wanted a reliable handgun that I wouldn't worry about getting beaten up, I'd go for a LE trade-in of some sort. I think I got my Gen 2 Glock 22 for $350-375. I also bought a S&W Model 10 from Bud's for $300 last month. The bluing shows a lot of wear but it shoots like a dream. I would feel well armed with either and would also choose either of them over a SD9VE.

· Exlawdawg
565 Posts
What are your thoughts on a value based pistol.
I was doing a little reading about the SD9VE and they sound pretty good.
Also some of the surplus gun seem to be good values too. CZ75. The old gen 3 smith are great guns but their not as cheap as they used to be.
If you want to have a extra truck gun and do not want to spend a bunch of money but wanted it to be reliable.
IMHO a Sig SP2022 is a best buy, it is DA/SA if you shop online you can buy them NIB in the $375 area. If you want a DAO pistol take a look at a SIG P250 they are even a little cheaper. But you must shop well on-line.

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Bersa Thunder is a decent value. A little heavy for carry, but no problem in your vehicle. It's a .380, but we're talking compromise here. Three-dot sights and a decocker are nice extras...

I like Kel-tec P11s, but I know how to prep them to be reliable, I have a set of the steel night sights on mine, and I've grown accustomed to the heavy/vague trigger. Mine rides in my truck from time to time.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I think the Ruger is a bit better than some of the others mentioned here, but I don't think I would leave any of them in a vehicle for any length of time.

· Registered
11,480 Posts
FNS-9/FNS-40 is the best value in pistols right now IMO.

They we're previously a $550+ gun, but recently put in a price reduction to undercut the competition. You can get an FNS-9 for $431 from Bud's right now. Priced similarly elsewhere. Every bit as good (or better than) a Glock. Definitely better than an M&P. It's an amazing deal.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.