Valor Ridge/Tactical Response

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by Bobcatbaseball35, May 25, 2020.

1. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

I live in Tennessee. Do any alumni know whether I would be allowed to take their first pistol class with a Glock 42? Would I be allowed to work some from my Smart Carry holster? Yes, I have asked this question on their respective websites and have not got a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Do NOT crap in this thread.

i get thread drift, opinions, discussion and so on. But if you come here just to take a shot at someone, I'll lock you out.

-JCN- and nitesit(+ an e) like this.

3. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

What is your problem? I asked a question of alumni of these two schools If I would be allowed to used a single stack .380 and be able to work from deep concealment. You have issues.

FireForged likes this.
  4. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

If you meant this towards people replying to me, then I apologize. If you meant I was out of line with my question, then I don’t. I’m honestly trying to figure out if I can train with the pistol I have on me 100% of the time.

5. Sam Spade

Your question was fine, which is why I didn't lock or remove it. My moderation comments weren't addressed to you, which is why there was no quote. Knowing, both personally and through my time moderating here, the people you referenced, I didn't want this to turn into a predictable purse-swinging contest.

6. Out West

Out West

Why don't you just call Valor Ridge and ask?

ETA: I can not find a telephone number on their website. You may have to email them for an answer.

7. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35

I sincerely apologize then. I took it the wrong way. I know there is some history between James and Reid but not sure what it is and I don’t care. Both of these schools are geographically convenient, which is why I wanted to get some information. I have enough 7 round magazines that I don’t think I would hold up drills or be an inconvenience. I’m sure people train with 43’s and shields, but I don’t know if they are caliber snobs about .380, or if they would let me work from a smart carry ( not exclusively because I carry appendix every time I can). Both carry methods have the potential of castrating me, or hitting my femoral artery. I draw and present and dry practice from both carry methods on a fairly routine schedule. I have a feeling Reid would be more open to allowing me to work from a smart carry as he has a workout carry options video where he features the smart carry. Again I want to apologize for flying off the handle when I mis interpreted your post. I can see why people would throw flak at either one of these instructors because of their history together and I understand you were trying to head that off. I am truly sorry.

8. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Whew...glad for the clarification...I read all the replies and could not figure out what either of you were posting about...guess I am getting old...

9. N4CDLAW

N4CDLAW MI Refugee

I've not trained with either, but until someone chimes in with more first hand experience, I'll offer up what I have.

I train a lot with Paul Howe at Combat Shooting and Tactics in Nacogdoches, Texas. He is very cautious recommending other instructors, but one of the very few I've heard him actively promote is the crew up at Valor Ridge. Reid has some Youtube videos up of them interacting and I haven't heard Paul be that free with offering praise very often. If I lived in TN I'd have already checked them out, and I doubt you'd regret it.

Hope this helps, thanks for making the effort to train. It'll pay off.

10. Sam Spade

Can I talk you into posting a review? He's on my list of guys to study with. Never heard a bad word about him, and that's saying something in the gun industry.

11. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I think either would be a good choice as you probably already know, Reid once worked for Yeager. There was/is a conflict of interest as it has been asserted by Yeager that a few that worked for him left and stole his curriculum.

12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

preemptive moderation I guess. It doesn't do much for curb appeal.

As far as a single stack 380 goes, I doubt that many training modules are set up for 6-7 rounds at a time. I guess you could work around it but it may cause a distraction to your instructor if you cant readily keep up with the rhythm of the course. I guess you will let us know what you find out, I am simply speculating. I do not know anything about valor ridge.