Vaccine for Mental Impairments Claims Secondary Effect is Smarter Children

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NorthCarolinaLiberty, Oct 23, 2010.

1. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

www.dukenews.duke.edu/news/php?f=68gH979yij=70g

Vaccine for Mental Impairments Stirs Both Hope and Controversy

Durham, North Carolina (CPI). Poor grades could become a thing of the past. At least that is the hope of researchers at Duke University Medical School. Scientists are currently developing a vaccine to guard against various mental impairments such as anxiety, depression, and even Alzheimer’s. Lead researcher Dr. Elizabeth Schur Bright explained in a recent symposium that one consequence of minimizing such disorders is improved all-around cognitive functioning. This means, suggested Bright, that children who are protected from mental impairment might also see a marked improvement in other areas of the brain. “Improved brain function could lead to academically smarter children,” she said.

Not everyone, however, supports the vaccine research. Principal Sister Maria Catalina Dentz of nearby Assumption Catholic School in Raleigh worries about the consequences of such research. She suggests that advancing the research too quickly might wreak havoc in a classroom of children with various degrees of academic achievement. “We certainly want smart children,” said Dentz, “but we also don’t know the long term effects of things like classroom management for vey highly intelligent individuals placed in one group.”

Another critic dubious of the research is farmer and part-time biologist Pastor Tim Foyle. Foyle, who was diagnosed with paranoid-schizophrenia and also raises a son with several phobias, started a group that maintains the vaccine could stigmatize those who can’t be helped. The group, Don’t Underestimate Mental Barriers is currently lobbying congress to stop the research.

Meanwhile, Dr. Bright at Duke shrugs off such criticisms. “There will always be people who are anxious about progress, but we remain optimistic,” she said. If you can imagine,” she exclaims, “that we have the potential of raising an entire generation of children who might be the smartest in recorded history.”

2. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Words fail me.

3. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

stigmatize those who can't be helped?!! sooo, we should just let those who CAN be helped remain impaired? Perhaps those who think so should be first in line for HELP?

this is so DUMB. Kind of like refusing to let your kid get cochlear implants so they can function more easily among hearing people...

Mrs.Cicero

4. hyperstyx

hyperstyx

Raise everyone's IQ by X, whatever amount, and half would still be considered below average.

5. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

I resemble that remark.

6. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

On the contrary, this is preventing anyone else from getting those implants because they don't work for your kid.

7. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Wow, so keeping em all dumb is the best bet?? :shocked:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. Mrs.Cicero

hmmmm. When I was teaching in PS, the class that had all the honor students in it was always easier to manage than the class that didn't have any. And who cares what the effects are anyway? It's not like it can get worse than it already is...

Mrs.Cicero, homeschooling now

9. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Gotta follw this thread:rofl:

10. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

I think I need one of them there vaccinations........

11. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Would you prefer everybody with a criminal predisposition be an Einstein?

I'm extremely skeptical that a vaccine could do what they're saying it could do. I've read grandiose claims from researchers many times before. They mostly turn out to be sound bites. It matters not whether it's Duke, Harvard, or some spitball community college in never-never land.

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I stopped reading at this point.

When I went to school, A and B were above average, a C was average, Ds and Fs were below average.

If I make everyone smarter, A and B will still be above average, a C average, Ds and Fs below average.

Who ever wrote the article is stupid.

13. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

I must have missed the part of the story where they were making criminals smarter. :dunno:

14. Mrs.Cicero

But they don't grade like that anymore. The "bell" curve now looks like a ski slope heading downhill toward your right, because we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Mrs.Cicero

15. BradD

BradD

Oh man, there's a lot of truth in that for some kids. Ours included. He has Oppositional Defiant Disorder and if I had a wish list of things to change about him, knocking about 20 IQ points off might make that list. When most people think "mentally ill kid" I think they're thinking about the special olympics kid on a Garth Brooks video. With ODD, think Hitler LOL.

16. SouthpawShootr

Last I checked, there was no way to reliably identify these people at birth or even at an early age, so it stands to reason that if every child was vaccinated, you'd be improving the bad apples as well.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

That is just wrong.

18. SouthpawShootr

I always liked the grading scale when I was in school:

A= Excellent
    B= Above average
    C= Average
    D= Unacceptable
    F= Failing

Last two meant that somebody was going to get a beating when they got home (I personally never tested that one). C's usually meant staying in the house and studying on Saturdays and restricted priviledges (no off with friends during the week or driving if you were a teen). A's were cause for extra priviledges. B's were good job, do better next time.

19. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Careful you aren't stomped on or mowed down by all the yuppies/beautiful people/far left when they seek to sign up their own kids, eh?

20. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

If there were a way to dumb down all children, would that be better?