Vacations?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fxstchewy, Jul 20, 2019.

1. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I take them too. But I only get 6 weeks a year.

G30SF/F-250 and Ramjet38 like this.
  2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Before I retired, we didn’t take many vacations. I was gone a lot so when I got home I wanted to be home. My wife was always terrified of flying, unless I was in the left seat up front (misplaced faith), so we never went far for “vacation”. We had a cabin in Tahoe, that worked for “vacation” most years.

My wife and I have been retired since the 1998, not sure it would be a great deal different if we were on a formal vacation versus our life now.

We do take trips from time to time, but they usually are on a fairly short notice, so probably wouldn't qualify as a formal "vacation". From my career, I have friends in a lot of pretty far flung places, so when we go, we are usually staying with somebody.

We have had fewer come back our way since we left SF. :)

ARFFormula, Ramjet38 and redneck ron like this.

3. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Wife and I got 7 weeks per year where we worked with our seniority. We took every hour of it. Used to be able to roll it or take a payout for unused then the company changed policies. Now being retired everyday is a vacation like an earlier post said.

jimcorbin likes this.
  4. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

We can't afford one this year. We've sent our daughter to the summer camp (specialized one, that she really wanted to attend) and we ran away for 24 hrs (including one night in B&B) for a hiking trip. Hopefully by downsizing in 2-3 years (once our daughter will be gone to University) we will be able to travel more. I much prefer to experience places, food and cultures over owning things to be honest.

fg17, Ramjet38 and jimcorbin like this.
  5. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

Always leave it on the table (use it or loose it).

Last time I checked I was at 260 hours owed (doesn't include the 11 "holidays" off).

If they can live without you for a week they can live without you ;)

6. as400guy1

as400guy1

Just got back from my "vacation"..visited my mother. Blew out my knee while insulating under the house...so much fun.

Ramjet38 likes this.
  7. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I do a big hunting trip each year. My wife does a week at the beach every year with our daughter. I usually go for a day or two but I'm not a beach fan.
    We do a vacation together every year and a couple of long weekends in between all that.

redrick likes this.
  8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

We do a week at the beach every year, we all love it due to the time we get to spend together with no commitments for work or school!

9. SGM_Brown

SGM_Brown

I go any place that doesn't have sand.

10. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Rarely take a vacation. Typically just take long weekends now and again. Last time I took a semi-real vacation was probably five years ago - esentially extended a work trip four or five days.

I am currently maxed out on PTO accumulation and was planning on taking a 4-day weekend starting next Friday but ended up with a work commitment on Friday so there goes my 4-day weekend and with each pay-period, I lose more vacation days.

11. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Perhaps you should up your employment game. I work two 24 hour shifts each week, (48 hrs), or more if there is OT available.

I get six weeks of vacation, if I stay till 2023 I would get eight weeks but I’m not staying that long.

I also get 21 sick / personal days a year.

I have a “Kelly Day” that is Saturday. So I never work a Saturday, unless I pick up OT.

Holidays are time and a half if you work it, eight hours regular time if you’re not scheduled that day.

I have the option of picking up special details or events. They give us the option of pay or equal comp time for the detail / events. Same thing for court, if I have to go to testify.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  12. canis latrans

canis latrans

man, that would KILL me!

IT work?

13. canis latrans

canis latrans

you are a wise man!

Nestor likes this.
  14. OUSooner

OUSooner

My last day of was last year over Christmas and my next day off is this Christmas. A year between time off. I started a new job a couple years ago and only get 2 weeks so Im banking it to have some in reserve.

I was at my last job 20 years and had 4 weeks vacation so this has been an adjustment. But I make more $ at this job and only work 2 or 3 hours per day and get paid for 40 so I have a lot of free time and havent missed the time off as much as I thought I would.

15. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

My work schedule is 4-10s so I get 3 day weekends every week. Vacation time seems redundant. If I do take time off I schedule it around holidays and generally just fiddle fart around the house.

16. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

Haven’t taken “real vacation” in years (more like decades).... There is always something (e.g., money, health, etc.) that prevents us from going anywhere really far... Besides, I had to fly many times right after the 9.11 and have had so many bad experiences with airlines and airports that I just do not want to fly unless I absolutely have to.

17. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

Broken knee & leg=still recovering. Wife and I both used vacation time for rehab. So, nothing this year or last =I broke my upper arm in 3 places.

Just retired Friday==still adjusting. Next year? Back to Alaska fishing or road trip throughout the SW to visit relatives.

18. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Retired for almost 5 years and travel quite a bit seeing the sites.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  19. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

So where you going next year? Another repeat?

20. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Ive only taken one before due to cost. Grew up kind of poor. I was the kid who wondered how my classmates all seemed to go on cool vacations to florida and other places. When in college we got a smoking group rate discount and i went to ireland. Loved it. My job now has me traveling a ton and try to take advantage of time off in new places.

Last few years ive had my hands full with bills but this year paid off almost all my debt, been crusing some overtime and filling up the bank account. I have enough use or lose to take almost the whole month of december off at the end of the year. I need to plan something to do with all that time off.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.