close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vacation Suggestions- Seattle area

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tadbart, Apr 18, 2012.

1. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

got an opportunity to spend a week in Western Washington state in June.

any must see's in Seattle?

planning on seeing Ranier and St. Helens, and driving the coastline.

oh, and they reciprocate with Florida's CCW! how nice!

2. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

:wavey:On your way to the coast, take a deture and visit beautiful Port Townsend, WA. Or hit the Sol Duc hot springs on the Olympic Peninsula. Or while on the coast visit The End Of The World- the farthest north point of the WA Coast. north of Neah Bay. Along the coast you can stop and see the worlds largest Red Cedar tree or the worlds largest Spruce Tree. Or drive on Long Beach. There's so much to see and do.:wavey:

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

BTW... Seattle- Pike Place Market, The Space Needle, Ivors Fish House, Seattle Art Museum, take a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island- gateway to the Olympic Peninsula.

4. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Check out the Olympic Peninsula park. Good chance you won't see the top of Mt. Rainier since it clouds over most days but worth a try.
    View from above.

5. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Took it last year :tongueout:

6. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

Tour Boeing in Everett.

Take a loop through Whidbey Island. You'll see Deception Pass. Spectacular views can be had at the top of Mt. Erie.

Mt. St. Helens is a must see. The devastation is awe inspiring, like what you would imagine of a nuclear bomb blast. I saw it 20 years ago. I'm curious how much it has changed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. brausso

brausso

It really depends on how much time you have on your hands and what you're into seeing. Definitely do the downtown thing- Space needle, pike's place market, seattle waterfront, alki beach...

If you're up for some good drives, Chuckanut Dr is a good one. There are thousands of good hikes around the puget sound. Some of my favorite are in the snoqualmie pass area. Snow Lake is probably my favorite
    [​IMG]

8. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

If the sun is out Mt. Rainier should be cool. I've been within 5 miles of Mt. Rainier and could not see it.

I was not impressed by the Washington coast. The route seemed like more of a logging road with clear cuts visible from the road. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has been a long while since I've driven it. The Oregon coast is breathtaking.

Expect the weather to be damp and cool, in the low 60's would be my guess. Don't let that stop you from doing anything though. In Washington you won't be doing much if you can't do it wet. A waterproof hooded windbreaker would be good to have. Hopefully, global warming has changed things.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. 19sandyman

19sandyman

Seattle duck tour and Underground Seattle tour will both give you a great overview of the city. The pike street market and the waterfront shops below it along Alaska Way are great too. You could also catch a Mariner's game.

10. KenInColorado

KenInColorado

My wife and I went last summer. We drove north to Mt. Vernon and Anacortes and went on a whale watching boat ride. Very cool trip. We would do it again.

11. Rutha73

Rutha73

Nice photoshop skills! :tongueout:

12. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

:whistling:

13. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

You can OC here too. I'm new here myself, but there is almost always some kind of salmon running if you're into fishing.

14. CAcop

CAcop

Pike's Place, Space Needle, and Jimi Hendricks' Experience/SciFi Museum are pretty cool and close together. You could do it all in a long day or do it in two days.

Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula is pretty nice too. Crecent Lake is really neat along with Hurricane Ridge. Of course riht now it is under a bunch of snow.

15. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Take in some dirt track races. Maybe at Skagit. Agree with the Underground and the EMP, Experience Music Project. My son was a large sponsor when that place was built. I get free tickets any time I show up. If you go to St Helens, wave at my family on the way through Toutle. We lost 2 logging sides to the eruption, and 2 men falling timber. My neighbors, newlyweds, were fishing at Fawn Lake. Gone. I knew most of the people killed in the eruption. If it had gone while we were working, there would have been 9 widows in our family. My mom sounded the alarm to evacuate Toutle during the eruption. She was a Senior EMT with the Toutle FD. I could go on......

16. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Wow, thanks guys! Some things I already had on my list, LOTS that I didn't. Looks like we have 6 days to kill before the wedding we're attending. Not a problem in the world just getting in the car and driving (found some awesome places in Alaska and Colorado like that), so hopefully we'll be able to catch qute a few sights. Mariners game. Great idea! Fishing. Looks like we're just missing halibut season. Maybe I'll stock up on fresh salmon at the market. Shipping it back to FL may still be cheaper than buying it here or fishing for them out there... What's all that blue stuff above Ranier in the sky?

Wow, smoke. Scary stuff. I remember my grandma sending me a little vial of ash after the explosion. Seeing Mt. Redoubt in Alaska erupt (from up near ANC) was fear-inspiring enough for me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  17. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I have been around 5 erupting volcanoes now. Not fun. The last Redoubt eruption was dropping ash on my house in a matter of minutes after the eruption. I could tell you about hiking into the St Helens blast zone through hot ash, feet deep, only 2 days after the blast looking for survivors. Didn't find any. The hike was MILES long in horrible conditions. A very tough day.

18. rideco

rideco

My buddy just got back from Sea. and got something called a city pass. http://www.citypass.com/seattle This allowed him to see lots of sites and felt this was a really good way to go FYI.

19. UNDPilot_Alex

UNDPilot_Alex Glocker

I'm surprised no one mentioned the museum of flight... Awesome place!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

I haven't been in 15-20 or so years, but my memories include the underground tour, visiting Jimi's gravesite, dinner at the Space Needle, and going to some island where the cutest girl I had ever seen was also being drug around by her family. We made tons of eye contact but that was it... :crying:

I'm sure a lot has changed - have a good trip!