VA: Open carrying, and kudos for LEOs

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DrMark, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DrMark

DrMark Dr Dew

...as reported by Philip Van Cleave (PVC) in the latest VCDL e-mail.

Prince William County police get it right (OC)

VCDL member Bob James emailed me about his positive open carry experience in Prince William County.

----

So there I was . . .

Wednesday night, 10 March 2010, about 2130, I stopped at a Burger King at Nokesville Road (Rte 28) and Pennsylvania Avenue in Prince William County. I was open carrying, as is my wont. I have entered Burger Kings and other fast food joints countless times all over the Northern Virginia area without incident. Tonight was different, dear readers, but not unpleasantly so.

The bored but affable young lady at the counter took my order, no problem. But the manager, a flinty-eyed woman with a sour expression on her face, was surveying me with ill-concealed hostility. She spoke as I retrieved my order and asked with some beligerence: "Let me ask you a question. Are you a police officer?"

I smiled, and answered "No, ma'am, I am not." I paused for the anticipated follow-up question, but none was forthcoming; the manager's expression just got darker, so I said nothing more and sat down to eat.

Five minutes later, I saw the PWCP car roll up, headlights off, and two officers enter the store. Here's the kicker. They never looked askance at me, never asked me my name or business or why I thought I needed a gun, or any of that nonsense. They didn't disarm me, prone me out on the floor, or call me nasty names. Instead, both officers went straight to the manager, who had once again returned to the front counter to beckon them.

I could hear the manager hissing about the man with a gun, and one officer asking, "Did he threaten anyone? Was he waving it around?" Finally, he explained that my behavior was perfectly legal in Virginia. Neither officer contacted me, or even so much as walked around the tile barrier to see whether or what I was carrying. End of story.

As it should be. [PVC: AMEN.]

Kudos to the Prince William County Police officers who handled this call with consummate professionalism and class.

Bob James
    Centreville

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Virginia, God Bless the Commonwealth!!

3. OD Green Glock 19

OD Green Glock 19

I open carried into a Burger King in Chesapeake, VA without so much as a second glance. I was pleasantly surprised. I rarely see anyone open carrying around here.

4. sugarcreek

sugarcreek familyman

...warms my heart...

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i woulda made eye contact with you, maybe to just give a wink, and maybe just to satisfy my own curiosity to see if you looked like some kinda weirdo or something...LOL

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I agree. :supergrin:

7. RacingGLOCK35

RacingGLOCK35 Iceman Killeth

I used to open carry all the time until I got my CCP, Only had one person ask me if i need a permit. When I answered no, they said "well, I spent all that money for nothin." Good times...

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

when i lived in NoVa i open carried in Pargo's in Manasty (PWC)...got a free dinner out of it before i was asked to leave.