Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virginia has removed Missouri www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm from the list of states they honor. I do not know the reason why they removed Missouri. Missouri honors all other states permit/licenses. This is what the Virginia Citizens Defense League www.vcdl.org/ sent out in an updated about this:

“ Missouri concealed handgun permits are no longer honored in Virginia. I have not yet had time to see what happened. But we need to fix this situation permanently by honoring ALL other permits. VCDL will work yet again to get such a bill passed during the next General Assembly session.”

The Missouri AG was still listing Nevada and Virginia as states that honor their Permit/License to Carry. I contacted them last Friday and Monday they updated their listing. The Missouri AG doesn’t have someone watching all those other states. They were listing those states to assist their residents to keep them informed of where their Missouri Permit/License was valid. I sent the email because people were emailing me telling me Handgunlaw.us had incorrect data and that NV honored MO. One guy got very nasty. Sent them to http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml to see for themselves. Never got an apology from the nasty guy. I have to say I have only gotten three emails like that over the years and all were just misinformed. UPDATE: I got a very nice email (9/19/13) from the MO AG’s Office thanking me for pointing out that they still listed NV and VA. Very nice to hear from them and the Thank You was very much appreciated.

But then the Alabama AG has not updated his website http://ago.alabama.gov/Page-Gun-Reprocity-Law Starting Aug 1 Alabama honored all other states. His website doesn’t show that. No reply from an email to him on why the delay on updating his site. One AL Sheriff has it worded on his FAQs www.madisoncountyal.gov/sheriff/pistolfaq.html Another has the new law posted on his site. www.montgomerysheriff.com/Sites/Montgomery_County/Documents/Sheriff/Act 2013-283 Gun Bill.pdf I know the difficulties of keeping info up to date and States have a lot more pages to watch over than I do. Many times they just need a heads up and they take care of it. Can’t fix something if you don’t know it’s broken.

·
Directiv 10-289
6,854 Posts
Thanks for keeping up with this stuff.
Sucks for me by playing by the rules and having an MO permit instead of FL or UT.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
Thanks for all your hard work Gary. Don't know what we would do without you. I suspect a lot more people would get arrested. Hat's off to you.

Caver

·
Registered
350 Posts
I hope you only ever get thanks around here. You have put A LOT of work into making that site a useful place to get accurate information. Thank you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That part is still in the law. What was changed is that Alabama honors all other states. They don't have to have an agreement to honor another state. The AG still has the authority to sign agreements if that is what it takes for another state to honor them. If they didn't leave that part in there allowing the AG to sign agreements then it would have been impossible for some states to honor AL as some states require a signed agreement. The main point is Alabama honors all other states. They are not stating that. Every other state that honor all other states permit/licenses state that.

Here is the old law in the AL Statutes

"§13A-11-85.
"(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any
state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be
authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section
shall apply to a license holder from another
state only while the license holder is not a
resident of this state. A license holder from
another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the
laws of this state.
"(b) The Attorney General is authorized to enter
into reciprocal agreements with other states for the mutual recognition of licenses to carry handguns and shall
periodically publish a list of states which meet the
requirements of subsection (a) recognize licenses issued
pursuant to Section 13A-11-75."

Here is the New Law

"§13A-11-85.
"(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any
state shall be
authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section
shall apply to a license holder from another
state only while the license holder is not a
resident of this state. A license holder from
another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the
laws of this state.
"(b) The Attorney General is authorized to enter
into reciprocal agreements with other states for the mutual
recognition of licenses to carry handguns and shall
periodically publish a list of states which recognize licenses issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75."

·
NRA Life Member
5,447 Posts
Man, you're fast! Typing on this tablet takes me forever.

Kudos to you. You are correct. Upon further reading of the AG website, they are still referencing the old law.

I'll delete my earlier post.

I think I'll call the AG's office about their delay in updating.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
While the MO removal in VA doesn't directly affect me, I would like to give three cheers to VCDL for their announced intention to achieve clarity with a new law to recognize all other states' permits. This seems to be a growing trend and, as Martha Stewart says, that's a good thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts