In the last VCDL Update, there was an item on the Manassas City Police Department (MCPD) harassing seven law-abiding gun owners in Tony's Pizza restaurant and intimidated the restaurant owner into expelling those gun owners (most of which were VCDL members).
VCDL issued a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get a copy of all police information about that incident.
Based on the information divulged by the FOIA (emails and voice recordings) and from the seven gun owners we know:
* The police were told that nothing illegal was happening, nor was there a disturbance [on 911 tape]
* For no reason the police intimidated the owner into asking the seven gun owners to leave [officer's emails]
* Refused to look at documents that would show that the gun owners were doing nothing wrong. One officer said that he would look for an excuse to arrest the members if they didn't just leave [gun owners statements]
* Afterwards, in email to each other and other jurisdictions, the MCPD officers show severe disdain for the seven gun owners, WHO WERE NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS NOR CAUSING ANY KIND OF DISTURBANCE
* In fact, the officers went out of their way to refer to VCDL members as "assclowns" and also used some more crude, profane, and vulgar terms
The problem here was that:
1. the officers showed such contempt for law-abiding citizens in their own words and emails and
2. the officers' unwarranted actions at Tony's showed that they wished to act on that contempt by using their extraordinary powers as police officers to harass and intimidate
That combination of having contempt and then acting on it under the color of law is not acceptable for a police officer, who is here to SERVE you and I, not be our MASTER. If a person can't understand the difference, then they have no more business being a law-enforcement officer than a child-molester does.
We are going to demand that City Council take action on this. Either to discipline the officers in question, fire them, and/or disciple or fire the Chief of Police for allowing people like this to serve on his force.
To address this serious issue, VCDL is going to address the Manassas City Council on Monday, February 26th, at 5:30 PM. We might not get heard until 7:30 PM, but I want to be there early, just in case they decided to bump us up.
City Hall is located at 9027 Center Street, Manassas, VA 20110.
I plan on being at City Hall at 5 PM to hand out Guns Save Lives badges to those of you who wish to come show support or to speak on the issue (I will have 10 minutes and the other speakers will have 3 minutes each).
I would really like to pack the Council chambers. The more of you from Manassas, the better. However, I would love to see a good turnout from all of our Northern Virginia members.
If we don't draw a line in the sand with this kind of abuse and indicate that we are not going to take it, we are not only failing those seven innocent gun owners, but the other innocent citizens who will abused by these Manassas police officers in the future.
We are also sending a message out to any other rogue officers in the state who think they can ride roughshod over Virginia citizens.
Stand with me and let's fix this situation on the 26th!
I wish I could be there! I'll be in Atlanta that week.
Let's make a strong showing and be there in large numbers.