close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VA ALERT: Manassas PD harassment

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by Slinger646, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

In the last VCDL Update, there was an item on the Manassas City Police Department (MCPD) harassing seven law-abiding gun owners in Tony's Pizza restaurant and intimidated the restaurant owner into expelling those gun owners (most of which were VCDL members).

VCDL issued a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get a copy of all police information about that incident.

Based on the information divulged by the FOIA (emails and voice recordings) and from the seven gun owners we know:

* The police were told that nothing illegal was happening, nor was there a disturbance [on 911 tape]
    * For no reason the police intimidated the owner into asking the seven gun owners to leave [officer's emails]
    * Refused to look at documents that would show that the gun owners were doing nothing wrong. One officer said that he would look for an excuse to arrest the members if they didn't just leave [gun owners statements]
    * Afterwards, in email to each other and other jurisdictions, the MCPD officers show severe disdain for the seven gun owners, WHO WERE NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS NOR CAUSING ANY KIND OF DISTURBANCE
    * In fact, the officers went out of their way to refer to VCDL members as "assclowns" and also used some more crude, profane, and vulgar terms

The problem here was that:

1. the officers showed such contempt for law-abiding citizens in their own words and emails and
    2. the officers' unwarranted actions at Tony's showed that they wished to act on that contempt by using their extraordinary powers as police officers to harass and intimidate

That combination of having contempt and then acting on it under the color of law is not acceptable for a police officer, who is here to SERVE you and I, not be our MASTER. If a person can't understand the difference, then they have no more business being a law-enforcement officer than a child-molester does.

We are going to demand that City Council take action on this. Either to discipline the officers in question, fire them, and/or disciple or fire the Chief of Police for allowing people like this to serve on his force.

To address this serious issue, VCDL is going to address the Manassas City Council on Monday, February 26th, at 5:30 PM. We might not get heard until 7:30 PM, but I want to be there early, just in case they decided to bump us up.

City Hall is located at 9027 Center Street, Manassas, VA 20110.

I plan on being at City Hall at 5 PM to hand out Guns Save Lives badges to those of you who wish to come show support or to speak on the issue (I will have 10 minutes and the other speakers will have 3 minutes each).

I would really like to pack the Council chambers. The more of you from Manassas, the better. However, I would love to see a good turnout from all of our Northern Virginia members.

If we don't draw a line in the sand with this kind of abuse and indicate that we are not going to take it, we are not only failing those seven innocent gun owners, but the other innocent citizens who will abused by these Manassas police officers in the future.

We are also sending a message out to any other rogue officers in the state who think they can ride roughshod over Virginia citizens.

Stand with me and let's fix this situation on the 26th!

2. Dan0076

Dan0076 Special Member

I wish I could be there! I'll be in Atlanta that week.

Let's make a strong showing and be there in large numbers.

3. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

Im there!
    I will see if I can bring some friends as well to show our support!

4. 1*45

1*45

In years past that was considered to be "abuse of authority". It can also be cosidered abuse of office powers to intimidate.
    Could have filed a civil action to that extent as well as internal affairs complaint. I used to hate those.
    My .02 worth.

5. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

6. SocomCen

SocomCen Millennium Member

There are 3 sides to every story. Don't just listen to 1 of them.

7. Dan0076

Dan0076 Special Member

Car pool from Tidewater to Manassas.

Can anyone take a half day off next Monday and join us in going to the
    Manassas City Council meeting? This is in regards to the Manassas Police
    Departments handling of 7 OCDO members legally having dinner at Tony's
    Pizza
    in Manassas.

(Sorry if I shouldn't post a link here, delete if needed)
    Here's an OCDO thread on it:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1486.html

And here's the thread on VCDL going to Manassas on the 26th, leaving
    Tidewater around 2PM.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1531.html

8. Dan0076

Dan0076 Special Member

SocomCen:

Listening to the 911 tape and the officers Emails and other transmissions wasn't enough of their side?

Or do you mean (in the best whinny police officer voice)

'I'm the alpha dog. Those mere citizens should have just taken what I said as the law and obeyed. But they didn't submit. They looked me right in the eye and said they were following the law. Then they started citing laws and I didn't know what to do. DAMIT! I'm the alpha dog.'

You mean that side of the story? Where law abiding citizens refuse to be bullied by officers who wish to enforce personal beliefs instead of written law?

9. SocomCen

SocomCen Millennium Member

No, I mean I understand what the gun owners wanted to do I just don't agree with the method. I'm a CHP holder and agree the law should be changed so that a person can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as the person carry isn't drinking.

When the Pizza store owner asked them to leave they should have just left on their own or gone to jail. Being an ass in front of the other citizens who probably know nothing of the guns laws likely just made these 40-60 people into anti-gunners. Arguing with the Police in front of these other people and the Pizza store owner didn't help the cause.

10. 1*45

1*45

In over 30 years around and in LE you never get anywhere arguing with the street cop or agent. The citizen will always be on the wrong end of the "Stick". What you need to be is a perfect witness, get a lawyer, press charges, make IA complaints, do it the legal way, you will not always win but you dont suffer physicaly or your laundy ends up in public view. As always on Monday morning things look different from behind the desk, as my Cheif always showed me.
    Been there, done that, had that done to me, my .02 worth.

11. Alaskan454

Alaskan454

They were in the store for 45 minutes before LE was called, and the owner/manager had no problem with them up to that point. LE showed up and created a loud and unnecessary confrontation. In the process they confirmed that no laws were being broken and learned that the citizens would not be intimidated. Then, the officers pressured the manager into asking them to leave, presumably to "save face". At that point, they left.

I agree that it is impossible to win an argument with a cop. That is the purpose of the court system and the other options that 1*45 spoke of. However, an intelligent discussion between two adults, one of whom is a police officer, is possible. Although I was not at Tony's Pizza the night in question, I know a some who were, and I believe that is what was attempted. America is not quite yet a full police state, so it is permissible to speak to an officer - immediate, blind obedience is not always required. When the situation degraded to the level of an argument, folks chose to just leave and file a complaint later.

12. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Bump to say I'll be in attendance.

Also, open and/or concealed carry is legal in the meeting. Just sayin'.

13. PVanCleave

PVanCleave

VCDL is scheduled to address City Council at **7:30 PM** on Monday. Originally everyone was asked to be there around 5 PM.

Instead, if you can arrive at 7 PM, that would be great and save you two hours of sheer boredom.

14. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

I was going to come because it is a VCDL thing and the right thing to do, but now I have to come just to meet all of my fellow GlockTalkers

15. PVanCleave

PVanCleave

And you will be easy to pick out as you look exactly like Chuck Norris! ;)

16. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

No. Chuck actually grew the beard so we would stop being mistaken for one another.

Actually we were at Pat Goodales class together this last june.
    I was the youngest one that was smoking like a damned chimney.
    Fortunately I have quit smoking.

17. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

Who called the police?

Why were the police called?

18. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

A patron at the Tony's

We were just that sexy? He didn't like us? Who knows.

19. Jerseycitysteve

Jerseycitysteve

That for sure. The VCDL is a net loser for gun rights. I can hear it now. "Did you see those men wearing guns that smart mouthed the officer." You guys are playing with fire.

The next time the VCDL pulls another stunt like this I hope they wear buttons that say, "I'm not the NRA."

This bunch reminds me of an 18 year old girl who keeps wearing skimpier bikinis until somebody notices.

In fact, I'm starting to believe that we should change the law to allow concealed weapons where liquor is served if and prohibit open carry like it was in Dodge City and Tombstone.

20. KONY

KONY

This is exactly why our community does not get as far as it could. Your statement wreaks of "anti" as they are typically the ones to reference the "Wild West" in relation to carry. :upeyes: