close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

V MAX or V65 Magna?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by jim123, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jim123

jim123

Which would be a better bike? I have a yz 250 that I have ridden for years but haven't riddin on the street until this past monday. I was riding to the motorcycle test station and found it quite fun. My friend has an Intruder and he let my use a 1980 something Yamaha 650 to take the road course test with. I hated the way the standard bikes looked untill I drove one this past monday. The riding position was comfortable but the power was really bad. It also seemed to take a lot longer to stop than a car. What are the badpoints of the V MAX and V65? I checked the classified ads and see the V65 is dirt cheap compared to even the oldest V MAX. Which one is faster in stock form? Which one is better/easier to modify?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The V65 may be the original power cruiser by outdating the V-Max by two years earlier debut. But the V-Max had been the power cruiser champ ever since. I don't think that it outoomph the Magna by much, if any. But it just look cool as hell with the non-traditional look. It looks more like a standard on steroid than a cruiser. The fake air intakes are cool looking in that hotrod way.

I've never ridden the Magna so I don't know how it handles but Mr. Max handles well at street speeds. At speeds higher than 80-MPH, the front end feels extremely light and floaty. Not a good feeling on a bike that can punch a hole into the air at around 140-MPH.

I've seen some really sweet tricked out Maxes. People have done a lot of stuff to Mr. Max; everything from custom performance suspension, front end rework, the typical engine and cosmetics stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I gotta say that a V-max is way cooler than the V65.

If looking for a standard, have you considered:

A ZR-7
    [​IMG]

A CB-750
    [​IMG]

CB-1000
    [​IMG]

Any of those in nice used condition can be found for well under $3000.

4. PghFire34Truck

PghFire34Truck

If you are saying you have never ridden on the street before i will advise you that maybe the vmax is not your ideal starter bike. I just sold my 2001 stock vmax and let me tell you, i am 6ft 300 lbs and that bike has enough balls to pull me and still do 135+ and do it VERY QUICKLY. The v-boost that kicks in at 6000 rpms to feels like if you were running down the street as fast as you can and someone came up behind you in a pickup truck doing 60 mph and kicked you right in the ***. They can be a very intimidating bike for a inexperienced rider and it is easy to underestimate. You have to have respect for the V-Max 20 years and no major changes in its design. I would suggest you look into something with a little less power. Oh yea by the way they are not a small bike either like the 250 you were used to the max tips the scale at almost 700 lbs i believe. Try pushing that beast any distance and you will curse it. just my .02 cents. Oh by the way i had mine for 3 years sold it to support my gun habit and i didnt get to rige it much anymore...

5. jim123

jim123

Thanks for all the info. The 250 was ridden in the dirt over ruts, bumps, rocks, etc at 60+ mph. It would wheelie and flip over if you didn't get off the gas in fourth. I had my dirtbike helmet & glasses I always wear on the dirt bike and didn't have my eyes water at all at 55 mph on the 650 street bike whereas my eyes were almost always watering on the 250. Riding on the street was a piece of cake compared to off road and in mud. I'm not concerned with image. I wanted a bike that could scare me like the 250 does off road ie roll on the gas and wheelie in any gear. Maybe this is my 1/3 life crisis but I want a bike I will not outgrow too soon.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Triumph Speed Triple will wheelie on demand, as would the Aprilia Tuono and any of the Japanese liter superbike.:supergrin:

A slip of the clutch and those muthas will head for the sky at 80+MPH.

7. BCM

BCM

You say that like it's a bad thing! LOL:) :) :)

8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I found the same thing going from the dirt to the street. Within a couple weeks of getting a ZRX1200R, I was flogging it like a 3-legged burro. After about 6-months and 5,000 miles I realized that I was eventually going to miscalculate by a couple inches and kill myself on the street. The street isn't as forgiving (to rider or bike) as the dirt. I wasn't going to tip over in a parking lot, or lowside a slow turn. When my luck eventually woulda caught up to me... it was gonna be a grizzly sight. One day I kneedragged it under the rear end of a Dodge that locked it's brakes (I was looking at the next lane, wanting to move over). I didn't lay it down, but my fuel tank shared the same coordinates as the guys bumper hitch (just at different elevations). I think I would've hit him had I braked instead of turned. I put it up for sale that night.

Jim, you'll likely have ample skill to ride any bike you want. Just beware that everything on the pavement seems to move real slow (coming off the dirt)... until it catches up with you. *SCREEEEECH!!!*

9. screamin eagle

screamin eagle

The V65 Magna is mega fast. 1100cc's around 120hp and very light.
    Fastest I've ever been on a bike when I was young riding with my uncle on his V65. I remember watching the digital gear indicator and Speedometer. 140 in 4th gear with 2 gears left! He shifted two more times but I couldn't hold my head still enough to see the Speedometer!

Of course Honda only made that version for like 3 years and it's not as nice looking as the vmax