Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hard to believe that this has been 75 years ago.

I want to honor my grandson’s paternal Great-grandfather, a true hero of WWII.

Lieutenant Norman Gordon Farquharson.

Rand Light Infantry Regiment.

First South African Division (Union of South Africa.)

British Eighth Army.

He fought against Rommel at the Battle of Gazala and the First Battle of El Alamein.

He was THE South African tennis champion in the 1930’s, and played at Wimbledon in 1935.

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Reactions: OV1kenobi

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The very same man.My Grandson’s immediate family remained in Durban until just a few years ago, until emigrating to Australia.

Durban ( Kwazulu-Natal Province) is (was) very heavily populated by people of British ancestry.

Very few Afrikaners in Kwazulu-Natal.

Durban, South Africa, is often referred to as “The Last Outpost of the British Empire” in Africa.

Interestingly, the British (a minority of a white minority) in Kwazulu-Natal and the Zulu people got along with each other.

Neither one of them (British or Zulu) trusted the Afrikaners.

The Afrikaners despised the British Settlers (my Grandson’s forefathers) as they were perceived as Colonial Overlords.

Okay, so they were.

The Afrikaners also despised the Zulu because they were Black, and a powerful Kingdom perceived to be in sympathy with the British.

So, despite a previous history of warfare, British South Africans and the Zulu at least tolerated each other if only because of their common nemeses, the Afrikaners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts