V.A. Health Care

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Just my opinion, but I think the Choice and now Community Care shook up the VA healthcare system. Losing the patients over 50 miles from a clinic or hospital resulted in the yearly physical to justify their manpower and budget. I wonder if VA healthcare took a budget cut due to the patient loss?

2. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

No.

3. kiole

kiole

My grandfather used it his entire life until his death this year. He had no complaints and was happy for the service they provided.

He received no cost nursing home care which allowed my grandmother to continue living in their home and maintain her assets.

No complaints here.

4. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

The VA has gotten better in our area, as a matter of fact, the are moving into a new building, a closed Best Buy building. They are all excited about the move, and the additional services they will be provided. I use the VA as well as my Medicare Docs. for personal reasons. They seem to get along with that.

5. Robert R Davis

Robert R Davis Retired SFC

Talk with your local Veterans Service Officer (VSO). The Mission Act has been implemented that allows you to use these 24 hour medical clinics (MedExpress in my area) for non-emergency care, but only if they are signed into the VA medical system. You don't need any special type of permission from the VA. Only requirements are you are enrolled in the VA medical system and have been seen by the VA in the past 2 years. I use it for cold, sinus infections, skin rashes, etc.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Deltic and Inyo Tim like this.
  6. flyover

flyover

While Dad was alive, he used the VA clinics. He started at one facility and did not like something about it. He went to another facility and liked the services that they provided. He saw a P.A. at the second facility but she really liked her old veterans. More importantly, Dad liked her. She worked hard to get Dad the meds he needed.

Dad had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago and was taking Aricept and another drug. Both were very expensive until she got the VA to provide the meds.

He got the majority of his meds through the VA and at a better price than the local pharmacy.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  7. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I never bothered with the VA as I always felt some poor Vet needed it more then me.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  8. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

9. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

What exactly is it you want them to do? With the number of vets that commit suicide every day, who knows when one might jump the rails at a VA facility. I've seen several get pretty rowdy when their scripts were too slow for their liking.

10. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Veterans Choice is gone. In its place is a new, more inept system called Care In The Community, which is an oxymoron on every level.

I'm currently Grandfathered-In to the Over 40 Miles system where I am allowed to use local medical facilities... but just recently they changed the rules that now make you go to a Triage facility.... and that's just somebody's brother-in-law who runs a middleman shop to the siphon off some federal money. They are only open during banker's hours, and that doesn't work.

If I moved further away from Missoula... which is the nearest VAMC, sortta.... then I lose my Over 40 Miles classification.... even though I move further away! Go figger!

It's all about disqualifying people for nefarious reasons that are not in the veteran's best interest.

I just got a letter stating that a medical treatment I had in January 2007 is now disqualified.

How in hell am I gonna remember what that was about?
    Are they going to deduct it from my SS?
    Isn't a statute of limitations?

Inyo Tim likes this.
  11. Gary Crenshaw

Gary Crenshaw

Howdy!

I began using the VA right after President Trump was elected. I can say that they have provided me with with as good if not better than my private healthcare. I use th VA hospital in Houston, TX and VA clinic in Lufkin, TX. Both of those are over 50 miles which if I choose I can opted to use a private healthcare physician, which I have not done so far. It worth checking into I don’t believe its the same VA healthcare as when Obama was there.

“Happy Trails”
    Chiefneon

12. LinuxLover

Sorry - according to the publications that I have - you cannot now get grandfathered in for the "Over 40 Miles" clause.

It ended - I think in May this year and you had to be IN the VA grinder to qualify for the Over 40 clause at that time. Trying to get it now is not supposed to work. I may be rwong on that date - but I know it's passed by now.

I seriously wonder if your previous doctor wasn't a Witch Doctor and he ran outta frog toes to cast spells - since you say you are getting better than your previous doc - I just wonder how low you can go before you think believe know there's something wrong with the VA.

Remember that once you achieve room temperature - the VA's outta the loop and you get no help or money for malpractice and neither do your survivors.

Wanna re-up? Makes you wanna ship-over - huh?

Hell ---> if I knew how badly I'd be treated after service --- even though they promised to take care of me for the time I spent offering my life - ya know what I mean?

I would not do it again - not on a bet or if the VA swore on a stack of Bibles.

But to your praise concerning ".... after President Trump was elected" or words to that effect ---- you ....I say most humbly ..... are wrong.

13. Deltic

Deltic

I think one thing in the VA's favor is they are used to dealing with vets as opposed to the general population. Things that can set vets apart...
    1- Shaken soldier syndrome(TBI) from IED's. Even a little bit can have a serious effect.
    2- The kind of stress that comes from people making sincere attempts to kill you(see 1), working very strange hours/ lack of sleep for long periods of time, personal conflicts you can't get away from and so on.
    3- Tropical diseases that are uncommon stateside, exposure to burning trash/ poop and diesel burn barrels, shower water that is not safe to drink and so on. I'm sure other could add to this list.
    1991 in Saudi I took a nerve agent antidote pill just before the fighting started and I had a splitting headache for four days. I don't think many civilians have done that. Having some people that know about these issues can be a good thing but right now I am getting sent to non VA doctors for everything except dental and eye exams.

14. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I don't know what's going on with the VA health care, but it's not good. They lost money and power with the Choice/Community Care and now it seems they are disqualifying vets from this program. This gets them back in the VA system.
    If this is true about the Over 40, I might be screwed on getting my hernia repaired without travelling a long way to get it done, if even then. i have a very hard time making long trips these days.
    It's kind of insane that the Dems are touting free health care for even criminal illegal aliens, and the vets are being treated so poorly. The Obama era VA administrators must have loaded the VA with Democrats.

15. LinuxLover

It's called "The Mission Act"... the newest iteration of denial. Let me go over and sign in to My HealtheVet to get a copy.... brb.....

Hrrumph,

The My HealtheVet web site is unavailable at this time as we are currently undergoing system upgrades. Please try again later. We appreciate your understanding as we work to make My HealtheVet the best personal health record possible.

Thank you for all that you do for our country.

[​IMG]

Let me try something else..... brb again......

I clicked on the eligibility criteria link.... and got this....

For this element, there are a few different ways that a Veteran could be eligible for community care. Initially, there are two requirements that must be met in every case:
    1. Veteran was eligible under the 40-mile criterion under the Veterans Choice Program on the day before the VA MISSION Act was enacted into law (June 6, 2018), and
    2. Veteran continues to reside in a location that would qualify them under that criterion.
    If both of these requirements have been met, a Veteran may be eligible if one of the following is also true:
    • Veteran lives in one of the five states with the lowest population density from the 2010 Census:
      North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, and Wyoming, or
    • Veteran:
      • lives in another state,
      • received care between June 6, 2017, and June 6, 2018, and
      • requires care before June 6, 2020.
    For example, if you are a Veteran who has lived in Kansas since 2012, your home is 41 miles driving distance to the nearest VA medical facility with a full-time primary care physician, and you received VA care between June 6, 2017, and June 6, 2018, you would be eligible for community care until June 6, 2020.

That's only part of it.... its much worse from that point on.....

16. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

My Dad has had very good service from the VA but a think he is one of the few.

17. Blanton

Blanton

My experience in the military showed me the care can be excellent or lousy depending on where you are. I think the VA is similar. Both are dependant on funding but also location.

Where there are many retirees/disabled looking for good weather i.e Florida. Texas, California the facilities can be overwhelmed. While at Nellie AFB we were seasonally overwhelmed with snowbird retirees. It's the same in Florida. Want great VA care? My father got it in upstate NY. No military bases, no retirees. Or N/S Dakota, middle America States, etc. I occasionally use the VA here in Maryland. Not the one 8 miles away in downtown Baltimore but the one 32 miles away at quiet, slow-paced Perry Point. Its very good, easy to get appts, and the inpatient care is top notch.

I've been in medicine over 30 years. The VA has good care and top notch research facilities but there are spotty exceptions. Those are the ones that makes the news.

Inyo Tim and Flags like this.
  18. LinuxLover

Nah - I ain't buying it.

IF there was good medicine at the VA - we'd hear about it - not the PR from the VA itself.

Got any news on medical breakthroughs they've found?

I gotta remark that the VAMC/LomaLinda is a very good medical facility - but it's because it's part of the Loma Linda University School of Medicine. Loma Linda is the qualifier here - not the VA's nepotism and middle-men who squander money that should go to the Vets.

Payrolls are obnoxiously high - huge golden parachutes for disgraced officials and forever-and-ever care for the upper echelon but not for the GIs who got them their jobs in the first place.

The VA should not aggravate people who were taught to be warriors. Some day someone is gonna flip on them and then there'll be some hang-wringing and accolades and then back to what they were doing yesterday - screwing over the Vets.

19. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I use the VA and have no qualms about it. For my primary care I use the Hayward VA Outpatient Clinic. It's very small and I know all of the staff by first name. One big plus is that I always have the same phlebotomist and he's very good at what he does. I hate needles. LOL! It's about a 75 miles drive for me but that's no big deal as I'm out and about quite a lot. I could go to a clinic that's about 35 miles from me but once I get used to something, I don't like to change.

For care not provided at my primary care facility, I go to Mpls VA. I dread driving into the big city, but it's close to the freeways and I arrange my appointments so as to avoid rush hour traffic. That has worked out well for me. I also can go to private facilities for things that are not provided at my outpatient facility. I have one of those pending right now.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this and that would be one very BIG advantage at the VA is there are never any fat women with their dirty, out of control kids in the waiting rooms.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  20. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

I have been using it for years and its not that bad now, it has a come a long long way I think since they can fired now?