close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

V-35B Carrier Trials

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G19Tony, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Either that or a Wasp class. I dont know which one. Similar ships though.

2. AngryPanda

AngryPanda Is he a troll?

I know it is old news by now, but anytime I see a fixed wing hovering I want to yell "No! You can't do that! It's not allowed!

Really cool tech going on

3. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Probably the Wasp. At least it was printed on the backs of a few shirts.

Extremely cool plane, but seems to me to be the answer to an unasked question. With all the overruns and mismanagement in the program it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the plug all together.

4. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Cool plane. I wonder if future Amphibious Assault Ships will utilize the "ski jump" like the British carriers have? Of course, since the Harrier was able to utilize this as well, I would think we would have already done it.

The British think we're nuts for spending so much money on a single carrier, since bad weather can foul up air operations. However, the ability to park the equivalent of the average nation's entire air force off the coast is never a bad thing.

5. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

...and also on the aircraft's tail.

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Cool video. And yes, the ship appears to be USS Wasp.

7. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

I think we should ditch F-35 and to upgrade F-18s, A-10s, F-16s, F-15s; and keep producing F-22s.

I really don't think F-35 will bring us a good result. It is problemic plane. This plane has a serve drag issue and it isn't versatility like F-18, A-10, F-16, and F-22. I have seen F-35 personally and it's really big and fat.

8. WarCry

WarCry

Except that the -18, -10, -16, and -22 don't have the V/STOL capability of the -35 that is desired, and the -10, -16, and earlier versions of -18 are designs that need to be replaced.

With what you're saying, we'd still be trying to upgrade F-111s, F-104s, F-4Bs, etc. At some point you HAVE to design new equipment, not just try to keep patching the holes with upgrades. Some of the current designs are in the area of 40 years old.

9. tslex

tslex

Well nifty as all heck to see that plane taking off without a cat and landing vertically.

That said, still some kinks to work out for this to be a serious player on carrier decks in operational conditions. STOVL capabilties notwithstanding, you want something with a working tailhook, no?

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/feature/132029/lockheed-tries-f_35c-damage-control.html

An inherent problem, given the way the aft/center nozzle has to be able to deflect. But one I suspect is fixable.

all that said, and nifty as the plane is, I cannot help but think back a generation to the Harrier. Again, a swell platform -- but the huge fuel demands inherent in STOVL (let alone VTOL) operations meant the plane mostly operated conventionally and was limited even so.

10. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

We really don't need V/STOL because we have many other tools to do the job. We have V-22s and Air Force to back us up. Honest I could understand the verstability of V/STOL but it comes with a high maintenance to keep them running and I don't see it in cost justification. How many of those have seen in combat, beside UKs?

I was saying to upgrade -10, -15, -16, and -18 in everything and to reproduce them. That includes new and stronger frame, better jets, better techs, and new features on those planes.

11. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

No one has asked the real question:

Can it hover around New York and chase John McClane around? What happens if he jumps on top of it?

12. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Scrap the 35. Scrap the 16 and 15. They have about a 10 second life expectancy in a fight with an F-22. (For real) Keep the A-10. There's nothing in the current arsenal so perfectly suited to the asymmetric missions in the middle east. And, obviously, keep the 22.

The next generation fighters will be drones. "Dog fights" simply don't happen any more. AWACS. Point and click from 100 miles away. Done. Manned fighters will go the way of the dodo.

He gets sucked into the lift fan and chopped into little itty bitty pieces. Bad guy escapes. Everyone dies happily ever after.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Gunboat Diplomacy at its finest. It worked four hundred years ago and it still work now.

14. superhornet

superhornet

Three different versions of JSF, Navy, Marines and Air Force. Navy TMS of course will use cat and trap, and is a beefed up version to take the shock. F18 pipeline has been extended to meet delta demand for fall back of delivery schedule of the JSF, which has slipped to the right some years.