close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Utilities needed for boot cd

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by El Capitan, Jun 8, 2006.

1. El Capitan

El Capitan Kalibanned

I'm trying to at least evaluate my in-law's laptop. It won't get past the winxp screen without the blue-screen "physical memory dump" and auto restart.
    I don't hear any bad drive noises, and they claim to not have recently installed any hardware or software.

This is with all configs, including "last known good" and all versions of Safe Mode.

So, I burned a boot cd on my own pc and loaded it in successfully; meaning I can see the c: drive in dos, and any files on the cd.

Is there a utility/diagnostic of any sort that I can burn onto a boot cd, then run from the dos prompt that may help evaluate or fix XP in anyway so I can get it to startup?

Thx!

2. berniew

berniew Liberty

3. pyblood

pyblood

I recommend pressing F8 like you’re trying to enter safe mode and selecting the option to disable auto-restart. Then when the PC tries to boot, you can get the error code and do an internet search for it.

Just in case it is a software problem, you can try a repair install if you have the XP CD.

It can be so many problems. Have you tried to remove the RAM and see if one of the stick may be bad? I have seen bad ram do the same thing. Because it’s a laptop, it’s probably not the power supply. They can cause blue screens.

If you’re looking for a boot CD, check out this one. I am not sure how good or bad it is.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

4. El Capitan

El Capitan Kalibanned

Doh!

I dont' have their xp install cd, but I do have one of my own.

OTOH, googling it warns about not trying to fix it if it's an OEM install.

But maybe that doesn't apply to just doing a repair install.

5. pyblood

pyblood

If the XP CD that you have is an OEM CD, you can do the install.

If it’s a retail (store bought like Wal-Mart) CD, I wouldn’t do the repair. Do you have the restore CDs?

It looks like it’s a software problem that you can fix if you can get your hands on an OEM XP CD.

Here a links that I found:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q156640/

Now if you are going to do step one in the resolution, then almost any XP CD will be OK because you won’t be copying over any files from the XP CD to the HD.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

First question is what brand of laptop and how old is it. It could be covered under the service and support of the manufacturer.

If the laptop has had service pack 4 rollup installed that could be an issue. Some PCs crash after said update is installed.

Try pressing, repeatedly, F8 on power up and choose a basic startup.

To install the OEM Windoze XP check to see if the laptop has a recovery section installed in a separate partition of the hard drive. Sometimes one needs to use F10 or F2 etc on power up to access the recovery options.

Check to manufacturer's web site.

;)

7. El Capitan

El Capitan Kalibanned

I got my in-laws to find and bring over their XP pro cd, I went for the step 1, restore feature, and.... I need the administrator password to continue, and they can't remember it.

Doh! Frustrating.

Here's a majorly dumb question: Can I simply reinstall windows over the top of itself without reformatting or erasing any of the rest of the c: drive?

ie, can I just reinstall windows and safely not overwrite their docs and files?

8. pyblood

pyblood

U less they setup the password it may be blank.

You can do a repair install to fix the problem. It’s very similar to an install except that you just choose the repair option.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.