Utah State Trooper bogus dui arrests

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dan1488, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan1488

dan1488

2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

No joke!! How in the world can you average better than 1 DUI arrest per day, for an entire year?? I'm sure there are certain times of year where you might make more than 1 arrest in a day, but how is it that no one found that to be fishy? LEOs care to comment on that?

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

According to the article people in authority did find it fishy and she has been terminated and will most likely have several lawsuits against her and her department?

/

4. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

From the article:

"In 2009, Steed became a member of the DUI squad. Her 400 DUI arrests that year were thought to be a state record, and more than double the number made by any other highway trooper. She earned special recognition at the state Capitol.
    "With her training and experience, it's second nature for her to find these people who are driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol," her DUI squad boss at the time, Lt. Steve Winward, told the Deseret News."

I realize that she was eventually fired, but it would seem as though it took them 2 or 3 years to figure it out. Call me crazy, and I'm not LEO and never have been, but when one of my people has 400 DUI arrests in a year and double any other Trooper in the state, that might be a flag.

5. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

1 per day? There are many departments that unofficially require more than that if you want to keep your good shift, take home car, not get crap details, etc.

6. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

There is another story out there about this woman from a few weeks ago. Any business analyst or statistician would have spotted her fraud long ago. Given her record setting number of DUIs the very first time someone she busted for DUI blood tested at 0.00% BAL red flags needed to go up.

There are already lawsuits filed and more coming.

She needs to go to prison and some of her bosses need to be cashiered at a minimum.

7. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Not commenting on the story itself, just some side issues (as I believe if she DID fake arrests, she should be in prison):

DUI arrests aren't hard. I am not a street officer, but work an off duty gig for extra money. I work 10-15 hours/week there, and if I chose, could make 4-5 DUI arrest per 5 hour shift. Not hard at all.

Merely because someone blew zero's on a test, doesn't mean that they're not intoxicated. Research DRE's and why we have them. DUI = a lot more than alcohol.

8. sheriff733

Yep.

A lot of people assume DUI only refers to alcohol. There are SO many more things one can be under the influence of than just that.

But, if she honestly just made arrests for the sake of making them, then she needs to be made an example of. I'm here to protect your rights and freedoms. Not strip you of them just because I want to look good to my department.

9. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

This is the kind of input I was asking for, what the LEOs here experience, what a "normal" or "average" number of DUI arrests are for a typical police officer or trooper. However, I have to agree with .264: when you see someone with much higher than normal DUI arrest numbers and many of the arrestees have a 0.00 BAC, then someone needs to be taking a look.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

That's why DRE school is a *****, and so many people fail.

11. sheriff733

Assuming you're not on a DUI Enforcement team and are just on regular patrol, averaging more than 1 per day would be...unusual to say the least.

People are convicted of DUI all the time with a BAC of .000. BAC is only a concentration of alcohol in your bloodstream. It can be measured by a breath test, or a blood test. A blood test will be required to find other medications in your system for which you could be considered under the influence.

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

Remember that chemist from several months ago that faked all those controlled substances tests for some state. Many convictions because of her fake results. Went on for years. This is the same situation. People just really thought she was doing a great job and everyone was getting pats on the back for excellent above average performance. When everyone is getting congratulated egos get bumped up and it continues and snowballs. This kind of stuff happens in every job/profession and always in the end everything comes crashing down.

/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.