close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Usurping nature - Texas Sea Turtles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Jan 15, 2010.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

No link just trust me.

The Texas State Aquarium has "rescued" a bunch, at least several dozen, sea turtles in efforts to keep them alive through the recent cold spell.

Somewhere around Corpus Christi a bunch of sea turtles came ashore and a significant number died due to the cold. Aquarium personnel collected the remainder keeping them in warmed pools, under blankets etc. They will be released later.

What do you guys think about this effort?

Is see good arguments on both sides of the coin.
    1. Let nature take its course
    2. They are awesome creatures that need a bit of help to get through this spell of cold

Thoughts?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

#2.

Sadly, I care more for endangered animals than I do worthless pond-scum humans.

3. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Agreed on the second part for sure!

I'm not sure, I'm on the fence as far as helping them. I mean, in other countries they help beached whales and dolphins and the sort, I don't see anything wrong with helping a few sea turtles as well? Maybe it will help offset the ones we've killed with pollution, fishing practices, etc etc :dunno:

4. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

their numbers are drastically reduced due to poaching/hunting, we should help them when we can.

5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Normally I'd be in favor of letting nature take it's course, but in the case of animals that are endangered mainly because of human activity, I'll make an exception. If humans had not been responsible for driving them into their current situation, it wouldn't hurt the species one bit to let the cold whack a few once in a while.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Normally, I'd say let nature takes its course. Except that if nature were to take its course in addition to humans taking their tolls on the sea turtles (among other animals), there wouldn't be any sea turtle left any time soon.

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Hey guys I can't figure out what kind of sea turtles these guys are. Ergo I don't know if they are technically endangered or not.

BTW - I'm for helping them too.

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Endangered or not, they're helpless when it comes to things like this.

A person, whether homeless or not, can seek shelter from the cold. He can go to a shelter, he can find a jacket, hell, he could bundle up in old trash if it were a matter of life or death.

A turtle...what can the poor creature do? There are fewer and fewer sea turtles alive due to US killing them.

Again, I say help them. :embarassed:

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I don't know how many types of sea turtles there are, but if there's a species that isn't endangered, I've never heard of it.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

As best I can tell 6 of the 7 types found around US waters are protected. Only one of the Ridley's, called the Olive Ridley, is not and it appears to live outside Texas waters - so your point is sound. These Turtles are protected and endangered to one degree or another.

I think the low population numbers make the rescue effort 100% needed and proper.

11. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I'm fine with 2, so long as no tax payer dollars are used. Since that's not the case, I vote 1.

12. vGnzlz

vGnzlz 9s and 40s

The Texas State Aqaurium is not funded by tax dollars, but by private, corporate and membership funds. I should know..... I have a family membership.....

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/jan/14/hope-for-the-green-sea-turtles/

CORPUS CHRISTI — Turtle experts say there’s a chance.
    There’s a small glimmer of hope that some green sea turtles cold-stunned in local waters still could be alive, but it’s not likely, said Donna Shaver, chief of sea turtle science and recovery at Padre Island National Seashore.
    “There’s always a hope when we get the call that the turtle is still alive,” she said.
    At least 419 cold-stunned turtles have been found along the Texas coast since Saturday’s cold weather snap. About two-thirds were found dead.
    On Thursday, Shaver and the National Seashore’s Turtle Patrol team responded to two calls of stranded turtles. Both were dead. One was found near the Laguna Madre, and the other wasn’t counted because it was a dead red-eared slider, which is a land-based turtle, Shaver said.
    Another call came in for the team to pick up a dead green sea turtle at
    the Texas State Aquarium to prepare it for necropsy. The turtle died overnight Wednesday despite efforts to care for it after it was found alive and cold-stunned a few days before, she said.
    Even in death, there is the hope of new knowledge.
    A necropsy can help identify sex, measurements, potential injuries and genetics of a species. Studying the animal also can help experts understand the location a turtle came from, she said.
    “What I call it is making the best of a bad situation,” she said.
    The majority of the more than 400 turtles are young turtles from 3 to 40 years old, said Shaver, who also coordinates the state’s Sea Turtle Stranding and Salvage Network.
    The aquarium and Port Aransas’ Animal Rehabilitation Keep are rehabilitating those that survived.
    Shaver said hundreds of calls have come from the public to her office this week about turtle strandings. Those calls help bring a quick response to a stranded turtle, Shaver said.
    “Their survival is dependent upon our activity,” she said.
    But she encourages people to call even if the turtle is dead so researchers can gain more information.
    HOW TO HELP
    If you find a turtle, dead or alive, call the Padre Island National Seashore at 361-949-8173, ext. 226.

13. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I stand corrected. It's nice to be wrong, sometimes!:supergrin:

14. USMC61

USMC61

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

I don't have a problem with humans helping out. Due to commercial fishing the turtles have been hit pretty hard in the past.

That said, I'm pretty sure all Sea Turtles are protected whether they are endangered or not. Protected does not equal endangered or threatened.

All but a very few bird species are protected under the Lacy Act yet most are not in any danger of extinction.

16. blackjack

blackjack

I suspect that a little bit of sleuthing would reveal some sort of federal grant funding along the way. It is very rare for these types of facilities not to do some type of research that is grant-funded. BTW, grant = tax dollars. Also, since the word "State" is in the name, is it possible there are state tax dollars being spent there in the form of tourism support or economic development? Again, your tax dollars at work, if so.

My intent is not to call you out or question your support of the organization with a family membership but to point out that tax dollars arrive in many forms but it still came from your wallet.

17. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Its a question of man's effect on the population coupled with cold.

Plus they are awesome creatures and it probably doesnt cost much.