close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

USMC buys 10,000 Glock 37s?!?!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Washington D.C., May 1, 2004.

1. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

LINK HERE (http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=463)

DefRev Scoop: USMC Purchases 10,000 Glock 37 Pistols (.45 GAP).
    Posted on Friday, April 30 @ 19:21:18 PDT by davidc

by David Crane
    david@defensereview.com

This is HUGE. DefRev has just received information from one of its sources that the United States Marine Corps (USMC) has purchased 10,000 Glock 37 (G37) pistols. According to our source, the pistols have already been delivered, and the Marines have had them for two months. This is staggering news. Just staggering.

The source informed DefRev that the .45 GAP round (the cartridge for which the G37 is chambered) was, in fact, designed from the get-go specifically for the purpose of landing large U.S. military contracts. Both the USMC and U.S. Army have been searching for...

a replacement for the Beretta 92F for quite some time now, and it looks like the Marines are the first to find it. If that's the case, I wouldn't be suprised if the U.S. Army followed suit, and ordred G37's by the hundreds of thousands in the not-too-distant future.

DefRev is guessing that the idea of .45 ACP performance out of a 9mm/.40-sized platform was just too appealing for them (USMC). According to our source, the USMC's purchase decision also had to do with a desire to equip Marines with a pistol round that can't be fired in enemy weapons, which implies that one of the conditions for the U.S. military purchase will be restricted, or even prohibited, sales/distribution of .45 GAP ammunition (and thus, pistols) in other countries. Again, DefRev doesn't have any confirmation of this. This is just conjecture, at this point.

As our readers probably already know, the Glock 37 is chambered for the new .45 GAP round. DefRev got a chance to fire the G37 last year at SWAT Round-Up 2003, and came away very impressed with it. We were particularly surprised by the contollability of the pistol/round combo. DefRev has video of the SWAT Round-Up shooting session, which we'll try to make available to our readers, soon.

The .45 GAP round is designed to provide equal to superior ballistic/terminal performance to the .45 ACP, while utilizing a shorter cartridge case that can operate in a smaller and lighter weapon platform. The G37 is essentially the same size as a G17/G22. The compact version of the G37, the Glock 38 (G38), is supposed to be on its way. That's actually the one I'm waiting for, since my daily carry (CCW) gun is a G19.

2. therealmarauder

therealmarauder

wow if this is the truth then that's great for us! :) maybe ammo will start coming down in price a little too.

3. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt

Yeah, you might want to check out the in G-37 thread over in the General Glocking forum for feedback on this article.

4. Big Time

Big Time Senior User

And also Colt went out of business!;Q

5. therealmarauder

therealmarauder

ohhh well... hey it woulda been cool.

6. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

nothing would surprise me,

although if they were seriously looking at new glocks and not constrained to 9mm or 45 acp - in other words, if this were true (which it is probably not), then wouldn't the 40 sw cartridge also meet their supposed requirements (ammo not easily available to their enemy, more whack than 9mm, more capacity than 1911)?

assuming ammo for either caliber was abundant and not an issue - I dont know exactly which I would rather have with me

is it better to have 15 rounds of 40 sw fmj vs 10 rounds of 45 gap fmj?

(are they even constrained to using fmj now that major combat is over and they are fighting guerrilla's?)

Although if this is true, then I now know why I cant get spare mags for my 37, and why nobody has any brass available - and to think I was blaming Don for stockpiling all of the mags!

Don, I am very truly sorry for accusing you. I hope you will forgive me.

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

He and Dan did it! ;f They bought them all!

BTW, thanks for the mag and brass. They're now in a home where they'll be used, frequently. ;)

8. sablair

sablair CLM CLXV of C CLM

The author has posted a follow-up:

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=1

Update: USMC Purchases 10,000 Glock 37 Pistols (.45 GAP).
    Posted on Saturday, May 01 @ 18:32:12 PDT by davidc

by David Crane
    david@defensereview.com

DefRev may have been in error on the previous story, "USMC Purchases 10,000 Glock 37 Pistols (.45 GAP)." The information we received might not be correct. We're researching it right now. We have a bunch of calls in to people. So, please stand by.

However it turns out, I should have held off on the story until I had gotten secondary confirmation that the information was accurate. No doubt about about that. Truth is, I was so giddily excited about getting the scoop, and wanted to be first out of the gate with it so badly, that I jumped the gun, and published it from what I was told by a single source.

I basically published the story for 4 reasons:...

1) I found the source to be very credible (and, for the moment, still do), 2) the source said he was certain about the information, 3) I wanted to be the one to break it, and 4) I let my excitement take over (which won't happen again).

Next time, I'll get secondary confirmation. Even if the report turns out to be accurate, I'd like to apologize to our members and readers. Truth is, I should have been more patient, and waited for a secondary confirmation, before going to print.

I'll keep everybody posted on this thing. When I know, you'll know.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I wonder if they'll also get the select fire/full auto 45 GAP Glock 38C.

10. sablair

sablair CLM CLXV of C CLM

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=474

Update and Retraction Re: USMC Purchases 10,000 Glock 37 Pistols (.45 GAP).
    Posted on Thursday, May 06 @ 18:34:48 PDT by davidc

by David Crane
    david@defensereview.com

DefRev must retract our story, "USMC Purchases 10,000 Glock 37 Pistols (.45 GAP)". We now believe the intel we received to have been inaccurate. Our sources at Glock and (USMC) MARCORSYSCOM Infantry Weapons Systems have reported that they have no knowledge of any bulk Glock 37 purchase made by USMC. We should have checked with both of those sources first, running with the story.

So, we screwed up. More specifically, I screwed up. I...

got out of the gate ahead of myself. I apologize to our members and readers for the mistake, and I assure you that DefRev will do its best not to repeat it. In the future, if we receive information that is unconfirmed, we will either wait for secondary confirmation, or we will publish the information/story specifically as "unconfirmed" or "unverified", and "we'll keep you posted".

Sincerely,

David Crane
    Editor-in-Chief
    DefenseReview.com