GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point is it valid to brandish a weapon to prevent others from being injured or killed? The scenario is that someone breaks into my tenant's apartment and I hear screams for help. Should I always call the police first? Part of me says to react and call the police ASAP once I know that my tenant is not at risk. The problem is compounded because the situation is blind and 911 is notoriously slow and will likely direct me to stay away.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,851 Posts
Xandrosi, unless you KNOW who's who, you're on very thin ice. The screaming tenant might end up being the same battering victim who, when the cops arrive to help, turns on the cops and lies about what happened. Now you, the landlord, can find yourself victim of the same false accusation and "no good deed goes unpunished" sort of thing.

As I said, thin ice.

Landlords' duties to tenants do not include personal bodyguard service.

best,
Mas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mas. So, calling the police is step 1. If I'm understanding you correctly ... if I feel I absolutely must react (we have a petite young lady as a tenant), I should keep my gun holstered (preferably concealed) until I KNOW who's who and it's a life-threatening situation. For me, that means approaching the situation with a stick, which I know how to use to good effect. Still, I see now that it remains thin ice with the potential to escalate. I have to think more about this.

As an aside, I've learned a great deal from your many posts and appreciate the opportunity for your expert advice.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,851 Posts
That's about it, Xandrosi. It would also be worth your while to talk to an attorney in your jurisdiction to clarify landlord's rights under your state's law (and possible local ordinances) to enter tenant's apartment under perceived exigent circumstances.
best,
Mas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts