close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

using the can in the field?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by KD5MSY, Oct 11, 2004.

1. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

Ok, Needless to say that I'm new to hunting. I have read alot of threads in this forum. And some of the people here talk about eating at truck stops be fore going in the field, or drinking coffee on the way. Now what do ya'll do when your back teeth start to float. Or heaven forbid you feal like your about to blow an "O" ring, lol. I keep reading how people get to their stand before the sun comes up and stayng till noon, or sometimes later. Do ya'll just hold it, or what? And what about lunch? Starve or like some people say to bring snacks? I hope to go out this year with a buddy of mine and don't want to blow this hunt like last time, I had hayfeaver, and would like to at least "see" a deer. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

responses.. lol..

There are so many "thoughts" on what to do when needing to use the john in the woods it's mindboggling im sure. I certainly don't have the absolute answers if there are any..

I've heard dig a hole, use a bottle, leave your hunting area, which is a pain.. human bodily waste is pretty strong smelling stuff even to us humans, imagine what a animal that smells a whole lot better then we do thinks it smells?.. lol.. ;P

When i hunted in a tree stand i generally tried not to do anything in the morning that would cause me to have to take a #2.. or tried to make that happen before i got in the woods.. Taking a pee was generally handeled with a soda bottle. I had a friend that used large garbage bags to take a #2 in..

who knows how many deer i've spooked cause it "just could not wait" and just dug a small hole in the ground and covered it.. i've also had deer walk up on me whilst doing both events... :)

AS for lunch, yeah i generally take a sandwhich or two and enough to drink to last the day, snacks for times in between while stand hunting. I had freind in the one hunting camp i belonged to that made eggs and bacon in his tree stand on portable gas stoves while he was out. :)

Other thing i used to do was take Hot water out with me, and packets of soup, hot chocolate, tea etc..

A LOT of people leave the woods at lunch time, which by the way some folks say is one of the best hunting times of the day.. I almost always if leaving the woods for lunch try and make it later then the "normal" time.. make it quick and get back as soon as i can.

Good luck and hope i have not offended anyone with my descriptions :)

3. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

Thanks, Hunterjbb
    That is kinda what I figured. I didn't want to look to out of place being the only one peeing in a coke bottle in the middle of the woods.
    I will be hunting from the ground, so i'm sure the smells will stay where we don't want them most. I rember reading in "field and stream" a while back to snack on apples to fill up and to cover your breath scent. I live in East Texas and don't think there is a apple orchird for about 2 state away. I wonder how raw acorns would tast ;g ?

Thanks,
    And hey ya'll keep the ideas comming.

4. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

I know when it comes to the "battle of whits" concerning the deer I will be out gunned. But I don't want to go in with a sling shot.

If there is any thing else any one can think of let me know.

Thanks again.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

i take plenty of beef jerky, for a #2 I've never had to, i get it out of the way before hand and when my back teeth float its kinda hard to hold it steady with a bottle but youll get better with practice trust me;)

6. vafish

vafish

I go before I head into the woods.

Hold it as long as possible on the stand. I usually get cold or bored and get down and walk around by the time I have to pee.

I don't bother carrying a bottle with me and have on occasion just gone off the edge of the stand, I figure the noise of walking around is just as distrubing to the deer as the smell so either way you are messing up your hunting.

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I always look for somebody else's tree stand to "release the hostages" under!;z ;z

Just kidding, a camel and half a cup of coffee in the morning and I take care of buisness like clock work, good for the rest of the day. Think I trained myself for this due to the plastic porta-johns at the constuction sites. No fun having to pinch a loaf in one of those when it's 20 below zero.;g

Soda bottles don't make it for me, but carry one of those wide mouthed plastic juice bottles in the canoe when duck hunting. (that's EXTRA wide mouthed bottles!!;f )

8. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

Wife read the thread and told me she would by me some depends.
    ;C ~1

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

I don't do a lot of tree standing but a friend of mine has done a lot here in Montana and has also done more of it in Iowa where he came from. He said that we would just take a whiz off the edge of his tree stand. He didn't think it even bothered deer. In fact, he said he had deer come into the tree stand and smell the ground where he had taken a whiz and then wondered off and grazed nearby.

10. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

From what I have heard deer do not get alarmed by human urine because they do not know what it is.

11. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

but the sound of your piss hitting the ground with spook the deer, i say carry a milk jug:)

12. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

There are four things I will NEVER leave camp without.

1. Gun
    2. Ammo for #1.
    3. Knife
    4. TOILET PAPER.

Trees are good things to lean against when you have to use the toilet paper.

13. lomfs24

lomfs24

You can also use the toliet paper for padding when you lean against the tree.;f

14. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

What do you think the hood on your jacket or one-piece suit is for? You can't put in on your head because you can't see or hear.... so naturally I use it to..... well.... use your imagination.

By the way, be careful because a buddy of mine actually made the mistake of using his hood as a toilet once. Needless to say, that hood got cut right off and thrown away.

15. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Get one of those GI surplus folding entrenching tools. They will fit in your back and are good for digging a hole when you need to take a sh1t.

16. mikedb

mikedb

several yers ago while duck hunting I had to take a leak real bad. Made it to some cover away from the rest of the hunters, pulled down my waders and took a leak. Then I noticed a warm feeling down my legs. My waders were sticking out and caught the pee. My family will still not let me forget. I just do dumb stuff like that.

17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Paper towels work much better.

18. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

;z ;z That is priceless!! My family would never let that one go either.

19. lomfs24

lomfs24

Just think, for all the effort you could have stayed in the comfort of your duck blind and produced the same results.
    ;f ;f ;f

20. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

When I was flying ultralights I would always take along a couple of 'Travel Johns'. They are plastic pouches with some polymer chemicals that turn urine to gel and deodorizes it. You get 3 pouches for around $5. I'm thinking of picking some up for hunting.

Here's a web site with some suggestions. Travel John is close to the bottom.

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182523-1.html