close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

using the can in the field?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by KD5MSY, Oct 11, 2004.

1. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

Ok, Needless to say that I'm new to hunting. I have read alot of threads in this forum. And some of the people here talk about eating at truck stops be fore going in the field, or drinking coffee on the way. Now what do ya'll do when your back teeth start to float. Or heaven forbid you feal like your about to blow an "O" ring, lol. I keep reading how people get to their stand before the sun comes up and stayng till noon, or sometimes later. Do ya'll just hold it, or what? And what about lunch? Starve or like some people say to bring snacks? I hope to go out this year with a buddy of mine and don't want to blow this hunt like last time, I had hayfeaver, and would like to at least "see" a deer. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

OK, I'll bite.
    When I deer hunt, I carry a small bottle with me to 'go' in, some toilet paper, and scent-free wipes.
    To get the bottles I went to Wal-mart and bought a 6-pack of cheap sports drinks that came in 10 oz bottles. I emptied out the drink, and kept the bottles. Make sure you get 'wide-mouth' bottles by the way, or you'll have wet hands in the freezing cold. I have heard various theories about whether deer are spooked by the scent of human urine, but I haven't heard any definite answers. I figure that it's best to err on the side of caution, and pee in the bottle, close it up tight, and store it until you get back to camp.
    Now, to the 'other' business...
    I carry a half-roll or less of bio-degradable toilet paper (don't carry more than you'll need for space reasons), and some Hunters Specialties Scent-Free Wipes. I also carry a small travel size bottle of unscented waterless hand-cleaner.
    If you have to go make some scat, make sure that you are as far away from your hunting area as possible, for scent reasons.
    Now, that being said, let me relate to you a story from this past January. After a nutricious 4 a.m. breakfast of bacon and doughnuts, I got into the woods before first light and had to 'make'. I usually use the heel of my boot to kick out a divet of dirt, and 'make' in the hole, and cover it up. This was on a hill/mountain top that took me so long to get up there that there really wasn't anywhere else to go. After a couple of hours of me sitting only 60 feet away from my stinkpile, I saw a doe walk out and go right by the pile and didn't give it a second thought...
    Conclusion: human waste smell may not matter as much as some people think...

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Examined this question. The host proved on cameras that the urine of a man having eaten beef lately did not bother the deer.

They came and smelled the ground looking for "deer" pheremones.